Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm most certainly going to put a MAGA decal on my Cybertruck based on this comment. I might even put one on my Model 3, right beside my DEPLORABLE decal. What am I going to purchase with my TSLA shares once I sell them? An off-grid farm powered by solar and powerwalls. With a big American flag flying loud and proud over the cornfields. Then when my other MAGA friends who come over for BBQ (who also own Tesla's and have Cybertrucks on order) they can park and charge off clean renewable energy from the sun, because why purchase fuel from foreign nations who act hostile to our country? But for now now I'll just keep working 55+ hour weeks at my business (which is powered by solar energy and is looking to purchase a Tesla Semi) so that I can afford to keep investing in TSLA.

You see, we all come from different places and have different views on life. You'd be surprised at who people really are when you view them without politically tainted glasses.

I.e., as wriggling, squalling newborns.

I'm most certainly going to put a MAGA decal on my Cybertruck based on this comment. I might even put one on my Model 3, right beside my DEPLORABLE decal. What am I going to purchase with my TSLA shares once I sell them? An off-grid farm powered by solar and powerwalls. With a big American flag flying loud and proud over the cornfields. Then when my other MAGA friends who come over for BBQ (who also own Tesla's and have Cybertrucks on order) they can park and charge off clean renewable energy from the sun, because why purchase fuel from foreign nations who act hostile to our country? But for now now I'll just keep working 55+ hour weeks at my business (which is powered by solar energy and is looking to purchase a Tesla Semi) so that I can afford to keep investing in TSLA.

You see, we all come from different places and have different views on life. You'd be surprised at who people really are when you view them without politically tainted glasses.

I've always said Americans probably agree on 90% of issues, but they don't get focused on.

Tesla should be a company all Americans route for.

Cleaner environment.
"Free" energy.
Less dependence on foreign oil.
Make the country money.
American leadership.

Actually MAGA

I already made fun of the title, but I read the story, which is really just some author's comments on an original story in Automotive News.

In that, Audi CEO Markus Duesmann says: “Currently, Tesla has larger batteries because their cars are built around the batteries. Tesla is two years ahead in terms of computing and software architecture, and in autonomous driving as well."

Well, first, Model 3 and Y don't have larger batteries. The eTron has over 95kWh (2020 Audi e-tron / e-tron Sportback Review, Pricing, and Specs ) while the 3/Y have about 75kWh, yet the Tesla's go much further on less. The issue is not about packaging into a skateboard design, it's about battery chemistry, battery management, aerodynamics, and drivetrain efficiency. In 3 of those 4, Tesla is far more than 2 years ahead in my estimation.

In terms of "computing and software architecture" Tesla is easily half a decade ahead of EVERYONE. I was at CES earlier this year (pre-US pandemic, so it seems like 5 years ago now), at which Aptiv was showcasing its new "Smart Vehicle Architecture":

smartvehiclearchitecture.png

This is Aptiv's proposal for how electrical/computing systems will be in the future. Essentially, they're moving away from the current design of dozens and dozens (over 100 in some cases) individual ECUs (Electronic Control Units) in a single car to just two big (redundant) compute units for everything, connected on a big dual-pipe bus to which all vehicle sensors and outputs are also connected.

This is easily 5-10 years out for all OEMs except Tesla. What everyone else, and I do mean everyone else, has today are multiple CAN buses in a vehicle to which those 100 or so ECUs are connected. Those ECUs are made by dozens of different companies (Bosch, Continental, Aptiv, are some big ones). OEMs like Audi or Ford or VW or Ferrari write up detailed specifications for what those ECUs need to do, but the OEMs are mostly constrained by the Tier 1s (the companies that make the ECUs) especially as to what the inputs and outputs are, and those are almost always self-contained. That self-containment makes the ECU usable not just across different vehicles, but across different OEMs. This is the whole structure of the automotive OEM/Tier business infrastructure behemoth today.

For example, if Audi taps Continental for parking sensors, the data from the Continental ultrasonic sensors in the bumpers is processed internally by that Continental ECU, and the output is sent over the CAN bus, where some other ECU picks it up and plays a sound inside the car, or some other ECU picks it up and display a light on the instrument cluster. That output will probably not include an actual distance for each sensor. So, if Audi wanted to use detailed distance information from each sensor for something else, whether that be displaying a live 2D graphic on the infotainment screen (like Tesla does) or anything else, it would have to pay that Tier 1 to provide that information on the CAN. Which would take years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and even then the OEM would have to be sure that the CAN bus could handle the additional traffic (which is why all cars have multiple CAN buses, and then they have the problem that the CAN buses need "gateways" to exchange signals to get to other ECUs).

This "new" Aptiv architecture is intended to up-end this self-contained ECU paradigm. In this architecture, Tier1s makes sensors that sit on Aptiv's bus and the OEM hires Aptive to write the software, running in the big honking CPU, to do whatever is needed with that information. So, any function can have access to any sensor data. This project, if successful, is going to take half a decade, minimum, to come out in any vehicles.

Tesla essentially has this today, and has had it for years. It's why camera data originally intended for autonomous driving was able to be output to a dashcam recording and then to the infotainment screen during backup - all with software only changes. It's why Tesla was able to improve their braking performance via a software upgrade. In the 100+ self-contained ECU paradigm, OEMs have to perform individual software updates on each ECU, after validating internally that the individual software updates don't make the ECUs incompatible with each other. There are all sorts of updating dependencies that all other OEMs have to worry about that go away with more central processing.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but when Audi's CEO says it's just bigger batteries and only two years to catch up to Tesla on computing architectures, he's woefully mistaken. And if he really thinks this, then Audi is toast. And people think Audi is more of the more technologically advanced OEMs.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but when Audi's CEO says it's just bigger batteries and only two years to catch up to Tesla on computing architectures, he's woefully mistaken. And if he really thinks this, then Audi is toast. And people think Audi is more of the more technologically advanced OEMs.
And how many years has Audi been saying we'll have a car (with better specs) next year? This is just another desperate article to keep Audi customers from deserting. I think most customers have figured this out.

I think the recent price action may partially be related to the U.S. - China escalations as of late. Morgan Stanley issued a note today with the following quote (emphasis added):

With the backdrop of escalating Sino-US tensions in recent days, we also found comments (via Xinhuanet) from China President Xi Jinping on the auto industry quite interesting.​

When translated, the following comment particularly got our attention:

“Currently, competition in the international auto manufacturing business is intense, information technology and AI technology are under constant development, this represents an incredible risk to us. We must control the critical technology, we need to have this mind set, develop a national car brand.

I think the recent price action may partially be related to the U.S. - China escalations as of late. Morgan Stanley issued a note today with the following quote (emphasis added):

With the backdrop of escalating Sino-US tensions in recent days, we also found comments (via Xinhuanet) from China President Xi Jinping on the auto industry quite interesting.​

When translated, the following comment particularly got our attention:

“Currently, competition in the international auto manufacturing business is intense, information technology and AI technology are under constant development, this represents an incredible risk to us. We must control the critical technology, we need to have this mind set, develop a national car brand.

i think that decision has been made Tesla

Reactions: oldTAVguy
And how many years has Audi been saying we'll have a car (with better specs) next year? This is just another desperate article to keep Audi customers from deserting. I think most customers have figured this out.

The Automotive OEMs are infamous for constantly promising a better future, whether it be wins at race tracks or their concept vehicles that either never make it to market or are totally watered down by the time they do get to market, to automobile shows promising all sorts of great future vehicles - as if the crummy vehicle you buy today can be upgraded to that great one they're describing.

Like this Dodge Charger concept:
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.57.46 PM.png

that ended up being:
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.58.02 PM.png

Or this Pontiac Sunfire:
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.58.18 PM.png

that ended up being:
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.58.28 PM.png

It just goes on and on.

I sold a 3500 June 2022 covered call before earnings. Not perfectly timed, but enough to buy 100 shares of MSFT and have half left. The joy of selling a covered call on a stock I have no emotion for was so nice. I bought and immediately sold a 205 cc for august 28. 3% for one month and I’m hedged for a fall. sorry if off track, but I’ve been 100% tsla for a long time and feels good to use some lessons from TMC on another stock.

"the "you may block me" seems to be the grump du jour today. I got one too. But you?
Well if the stock was over 2000 neither of the posts would have been written.

Me, what? I’m on your side. My post to you was entirely a joke and a poke at his ‘you may block me’.

When in doubt, assume I’m yanking your chain/making a joke/being sarcastic. There will be no doubt when I’m being not nice to someone.

Reactions: kcveins and adiggs
I was one of the six. There was too much optimism on the board. Just look at the poll.

And yet I failed to capitalize on my prediction in my short term account. As I already stated, being correct and executing successfully are two different things in trading stocks. Maybe I need to reconsider my rules against buying TSLA puts.

Not complaining. Tesla is awesome and so is this forum.

I guess just remember that you have to be correct and execute successfully twice, both when you buy and when you sell, to realize your goals with protective puts.

I've had the recent opportunity to re-learn that I'm a terrible trader, and that the number of times I step up to the plate is inversely proportional to my chances of success.

I'm still looking for the best way to feel a little better about the short-term risks, which is both silly and expensive given my solid belief in long-term success.

It would be a great time for me to take a vacation, if that was still a thing. ;)