Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best explanation for the drop is that short-term buying interest dried up as evident by low volume (stating the obvious). There are better places to invest for short-term gains today, for example: AMZN, APPL, FB.
The idea AMZN, AAPL and FB are good short-term investments AFTER the post-earnings bump makes no sense. On the other hand, taking a gamble on them just prior to earnings was a reasonable short-term bet.

Those 3 are now drawing more long-term investors because (despite their gargantuan size) they offer rock solid opportunities to outperform the market for quite some time.

Email from Tesla just now:
Thank you for ordering Tesla Short Shorts (order xxxxxxx).
Due to overwhelming demand, your order has been delayed and will be shipped in the fall of this year. You will receive a notification with tracking information once your order has shipped.
We appreciate your patience and excitement as we work to get this product to you as soon as possible. If you have any questions, or would prefer to cancel your order, please reply to this message or your original order confirmation.
As always, thanks for your continued support.

Due to overwhelming demand, your order has been delayed and will be shipped in the fall of this year. You will receive a notification with tracking information once your order has shipped.
We appreciate your patience and excitement as we work to get this product to you as soon as possible. If you have any questions, or would prefer to cancel your order, please reply to this message or your original order confirmation.
Same so uhhhh battery day I guess? Elon wouldn't be crazy enough to send a message by first creating a product and then delaying it would he?

On the Automotive News podcast today:

DAILY DRIVE PODCAST: July 31, 2020 | Elon Musk one-on-one exclusive: Tesla is 'finally legit' (Part 1)

Elon spoke on how the federal tax credit program for EVs is putting Tesla at a significant disadvantage and debunked the "Tesla only exists because of Government support" argument popular by the nay-sayers:

"Right now in the US we are at a significant disadvantage relative to cars from other makers who still have access to the $7500 tax credit where we do not. Our competitors have a $7500 tax credit advantage over us per vehicle right now. Then they say what about that loan you got in 2009? First of all we didn't get that loan in 2009, first disbursement was March 2010, after the crisis was over. They didn't bail us out. And we paid back that loan early with interest, while everyone else didn't. I want to emphasis this: Tesla has received the least Government support of any car company, not the most."

This could explain some of today's afternoon drop, from Demand for Tesla vehicles remained strong during pandemic, Musk says

Asked about a 2020 meteoric stock rally that has pushed Tesla shares up more than 240% from the start of the year and made the company the world's most highly-valued carmaker, Musk said the market would eventually sort itself out. He added that as long as Tesla made great cars, investors would be happy.

In a May 1 tweet, Musk said Tesla's share price was "too high," at a time when shares where trading at around $700 - roughly half of where they are now. Shares on Friday were down 2.2% at $1,454.​

I also suspect that stocks have tended to drop recently because of the (irrational?) excitement of inclusion, or a company squeezing every drop out of profit to get over the finish line and then retrenching for some time. That may or may not be the case with Tesla. Far too many variables to make any of that data meaningful.

I have a slightly different take. The big players and new comers are beginning to catch up to us long term retail investors, but they are still a significant step behind. The stock shoots up when they are surprised by things like P&D numbers, Q2 profits during a pandemic, and oh now TSLA might join S&P 500. it is almost whip like motion going back and snapping forward with each surprise.

Many of us see the huge revenue, margins, and thus profit coming when there are no US factory shut down and China is that much further along in Q3 and Q4. They barely see it and again they will be surprised. Just be glad for down days like this when it does not make sense, add to your position at a discount, and smile with your profits. One day we will not have such an easy forward looking advantage over the institutional investors.

I recommend you fellow retail investors to listen to that recent podcast! If you read between the lines you can understand what Elon means when he does random tweets about stock price, competition etc. I think many people take what Elon says on twitter too literal... Often he is just having fun, the times when he is serious are pretty obvious and the few times where it’s not clear he may or he may not actually mean it, then it’s playful that he might do it sometimes. So either set the Fisher information to 0, or 1 or to some value inbetween when he tweets. If you listen to this interview you should be be able to estimate the Fisher information more accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Got the same message as well. Leave it up to Tesla to miss a delivery date.

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11
Secondly and maybe more so... traders vs investors running low on patience.
Most thought S&P inclusion would have happened by now. I admit, so did I. :(

That’s what happens when you take speculative guesses as facts. Let this be a lesson. Nobody knows anything except the secret committee that can do whatever they feel like, when they want, how they want, and answer to no one. Heck if I was on the committee, I’d be messing with all your heads too because free entertainment and to exert my power over you.