Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's too much work updating the stock price in excel. And it costs money. I'm at my 3rd keyboard now.

Anyone know a way to autoimport a live stockprice from somewhere into an excel cell? Don't have to be real-time. A one minute delay or something would be fine.

Serious question.
Try this:

Here is a list of some 15-890 baggers over 10 years. I think Tesla will definitely be on a similar list in the future. (From Peter Lynch’s book “One up on Wall Street”.)

Attachments

• 275E4D21-575D-4F7A-B134-1A7BAF96E3AA.jpeg
    275E4D21-575D-4F7A-B134-1A7BAF96E3AA.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 68
the problem i always worry about is these deals being tailored to conveniently exclude Tesla. It's somewhat less likely at the Federal level, but I absolutely wouldn't put it past certain state legislatures.

I think you worry too much if you worry this would harm Tesla's natural growth trajectory. Because Tesla doesn't depend upon government subsidies to sell their vehicles and their lead over other manufacturers appears to be growing, not shrinking. With Tesla leading the charge to lower the cost of EV's, it becomes more and more difficult to tailor a subsidy to exclude Tesla anyway.

It's too much work updating the stock price in excel. And it costs money. I'm at my 3rd keyboard now.

Anyone know a way to autoimport a live stockprice from somewhere into an excel cell? Don't have to be real-time. A one minute delay or something would be fine.

Serious question.
Excel has the functionality (at least on Macs) but I have no actual experience with it. It appeared in an update within the last year, the only reason I know about it. I asked its help function for "stock information":
Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 12.30.40 .png

• Helpful
Reactions: ByeByeJohnny
Speaking of burning holes in my pocket... If income taxes go higher next year, should I pull some cash out and just bite taxes this year? No capital gains to pay (IRA) so treated as ordinary income. (It also spread it out a bit - FDIC.)

Or maybe my question is, what do you think will be taxed higher in 2021: Income, Cap Gains, or Electricity perhaps?

• Love
Reactions: RMan
One weird side effect: all my friends think I'm like a Warren Buffet now because I was rambling to buy $TSLA stock since 2013.
Sounds like you have good friends. My friends just think I’m lucky. That’s how they rationalize it to themselves. I always tell them back that maybe I’m just good at seeing market trends and I saw Tesla’s future product roadmap and assigned a PE ratio to that.

Qualcomm had a 2:1 and a 4:1 split in the same year. I didn't start selling until after the second split.

Microsoft had 9 stock splits over a 16 year period between 1987 and 2003 (seven 2:1 and two 3:2). I held through all but the last one. It was pretty amazing to watch the share count grow over those years.:D
Even with the 5:1 split coming up, TSLA will still have less than 1B shares out. Currently TSLA has 2B shares authorized. If they had done a 10:1 stock dividend, I think that would have come uncomfortably close to the amount of shares authorized. I could be wrong, but I believe it takes a shareholder vote to approve the authorization of additional shares. If so, I believe additional authorized shares will be done with next proxy. to allow for additional (dividend) splits.

Serious question.

This is the coolest feature of Excel and it's super easy. Just type the ticker symbol in a cell and change the data type to "stocks". It might even do it for you. Then it displays the stock price updated in near real-time. You can then use the charting functions to create customized charts that update in near real-time.