Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price action today is fascinating. This is my interpretation of what has happened so far.

Firstly, if you look at the shape of the TSLA and NASDAQ charts, they are very similar, but show clear evidence of what @Papafox calls "Dip on Steroids". That is, when the price is dropping, someone piles on to make the dip go down as fast and as far as possible, which is stupid behavior if you want to get the most out of selling lots of shares. But it isn't stupid if you're shorting the stock. It looks to me like they tried to halt this behavior before triggering the uptick rule.

Then something happened that was either really stupid, just coincidence, or really smart, depending on who did it. A minute of heavy selling triggered the uptick rule, and the stock immediately started climbing again. Coincidence is possible, it corresponds exactly to the same drop in the NASDAQ. If it was a short, it was stupid to trigger the uptick rule. If you are really sure that the S&P500 announcement is coming tonight, and you're long, it would make a lot of sense to dump some shares, trigger the rule, buy back, and watch the fireworks overnight.

TL;DR -- I have no idea. But the trading chart looks very different after 13:43EDT than before it.

Geez, I go to bed and it's over 490 and I wake up and it's down in the low 400's. What am I gonna do with you guys?

Just kidding, blame it on Bailie Gifford... all the more shares for everybody else eh?
Just getting up with the thread after my foolish nap, and lo and behold; I DID pull a @wipster!

Since then I pulled up my cost per share list, and realized the dip today was still higher than all except the last few shares, so there's that! ;)

Who do you think is Tesla's biggest competitor in renewable energy generation and/or distribution globally? (more interested in the and companies)

Honestly I don't think there are any that really matter, or will ever be able to do it on Tesla's scale. Locally, perhaps a competitor or two in certain markets or geographic regions. Same thing as other EV manufacturers, and other residential solar companies. Crumbs of the pie for everyone, but Tesla takes the lion's share because of scale and margins.

Split-bro AAPL is also down today (-2.45% right now). I noticed the TSLA chart is a negatively-exaggerated version of AAPLs (blue line):

upload_2020-9-2_10-54-40.png

I bought a share today with change in my taxable account. I was going to buy 5 or 10 shares on one of the accounts but the process to add funds is just too slow. I can go spend thousands of dollars on Amazon and have a garage full of boxes tomorrow but for some reason in this online world it takes longer to just move the dollars around.

You mean because Elon will keep targeting 420 with splits?

EDIT: Also, don't you mean "Seatbelt sign off and you're free to move around the cabin?"
No. If you can't stomach being range bound for the next 3 to 5 years, you've lost sight of the mission. Astronauts must be willing to be confined to a small cabin for 6 to 10 months if they ever expect to get to mars. Of course, you can move about in the cabin, but you must be content to remain in the cabin for as long as it takes.

Screenshot_20200902_195541.jpg

Finally! Nailed it! :cool:

Only had cash for one but decide to use the amount of credit I have on my account. Plan to sell 10 of these again post spoon time.

Put in a buy order for $420.69 :D

since I haven't been able to snag one at this particular price yet.

If we are being pushed down the rest of the week to close around max pain $440 I might get it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think there are any that really matter, or will ever be able to do it on Tesla's scale. Locally, perhaps a competitor or two in certain markets or geographic regions. Same thing as other EV manufacturers, and other residential solar companies. Crumbs of the pie for everyone, but Tesla takes the lion's share because of scale and margins.

I think this type of discussion will become more front and center if Tesla does the obvious thing on Battery Day and makes it clear how big an opportunity the energy market is, and how their battery plans with the rest of their products gives them a clear path to capturing this opportunity.