Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im a long term investor.
I find it hilarious to watch people SELL tesla stock very shortly before:

Battery Day
S&P 500 inclusion.
Q3 Results

I suspect a lot of the people hitting the sell buton have no idea what any of those 3 things are, or when they will happen, or what they mean. Its absolutely crazy to sell right now.
I *do* think that tesla is not going to calm down as a stock until it shows an actual annual profit. Not 'four consecutive quarters' but the kind of profit that shows up when casual traders just google the stock or look it up on yahoo. We are another few months until that sort of stability kicks in (along with S&P inclusion, which will help).

I'm holding. Very confidently.

I'm not hearing from some key people.
Something we all don't know, or just nap time?

I suspect that the initial TSLA drop after-hours was due to margin calls or anticipation of them.

The further drop that began about 17:17 EDT, may have been due to those disappointed that there was no S&P 500 rebalancing announcement. They may be misinterpreting the announcement that was made about that time simply regarding methodology modifications for global indices. Perhaps they took that to mean no additions or subtractions for the S&P 500 rebalancing later this month. I would not jump to that conclusion. We should know better either tomorrow or next week.

Im a long term investor.

Battery Day
S&P 500 inclusion.
Q3 Results

I suspect a lot of the people hitting the sell buton have no idea what any of those 3 things are, or when they will happen, or what they mean. Its absolutely crazy to sell right now.
I *do* think that tesla is not going to calm down as a stock until it shows an actual annual profit. Not 'four consecutive quarters' but the kind of profit that shows up when casual traders just google the stock or look it up on yahoo. We are another few months until that sort of stability kicks in (along with S&P inclusion, which will help).

Like Warren says,”when people are fearful be greedy” Going to buy a bunch more if it hits $350.00.

It was good experience for Rob. First time I face a new situation I might be flat-footed, but the next time...

Hmmm maybe it's just me. Any time I hear someone making an argument by not allowing anyone else to speak, it makes it 100x more difficult for them to convince me of anything. Gordon Johnson did not come anywhere close to convincing me of anything, and I would hope that anyone with any amount of intelligence would come to the same conclusion.

Rob breaking out in a big smile when he refuted an argument is far better than shouting back. GJ was painful to watch, but then, I am biased....Mea culpa.

BTW, I did not have the impression Rob was ever flat footed - he disarmed the counter arguments with one quote or remark. That was very impressive. It caused GJ to get more and more emotional and as an objective spectator which I am not, GJ disarmed himself with his over and over repeated arguments.

Im a long term investor.

Battery Day
S&P 500 inclusion.
Q3 Results

It's completely normal to see profit-taking after the impressive rally. Also, this is of course manipulated down and supported with FUD to make weak bulls getting nervous and sell.

We have seen the same pattern for so many years and it always works with not experienced traders. Retail investors are in now after the split and they are an easy target to scalp and that's exactly what the big guys are doing. I find this almost boring to watch as it's repeated all the time.

The S&P inclusion is IMO a done deal but not announced but many parties would love to have some cheap shares to be able to sell them to funds after the announcement. That quick and easy money.

Friday maybe another down day.

Relax and enjoy watching

Im a long term investor.

Battery Day
S&P 500 inclusion.
Q3 Results

Not everyone reads TMC. I imagine most retail investors arent familiar with battery day, dont understand s&p inclusion and many are not likely familiar with P+D timing and Earnings Dates.

It's completely normal to see profit-taking after the impressive rally. Also, this is of course manipulated down and supported with FUD to make weak bulls getting nervous and sell.

We have seen the same pattern for so many years and it always works with not experienced traders. Retail investors are in now after the split and they are an easy target to scalp and that's exactly what the big guys are doing. I find this almost boring to watch as it's repeated all the time.

The S&P inclusion is IMO a done deal but not announced but many parties would love to have some cheap shares to be able to sell them to funds after the announcement. That quick and easy money.

Relax and enjoy watching

I think this proves just how much a stock split affects people psychologically. Many people are saying “it’s normal to see some profit taking” but part of me wonders if they’d be saying the same thing with -$250 moves every day rather than -$50. Just a thought.

It’s not just TSLA, tech is continuing its dump after hours.

This is definitely the bottom - I think.

I'm only vacillating here bc I'm not sure if I should buy more today. If other tech stocks are dropping as well, this is not the normal TSLA FUD dip soley.

I was never quite sure how I'd ride through a global Depression (in case it's happening now). Pure cash would have been the lucky play, but knowing what I know about Tesla and Technology, I could not sit on the sidelines waiting for the crash like so many of my friends who did not invest in anything (except cash). In hindsight, it was a smart move to stay the course considering the last runup, so I'm not about to change the long strategy.

Maybe it's just a fight in Congress over the stalling for next bailout.

Reactions: gabeincal

Relax and enjoy watching

Indeed, and there are a lot of novice traders in the market this year. Many during the pandemic are at home all day, while unemployed or working away from regular offices. So they found a new hobby in stock trading. Some may be sports bettors who found a new way to risk their money. Others may have taken a stab at stock trading with their $1200 US government checks.

As you point out, the pros know how to fleece them by inducing volatility in the market, either through manipulation or spreading FUD. We've seen this before, but it may be more extreme this year.

This is definitely the bottom - I think.

I'm only vacillating here bc I'm not sure if I should buy more today. If other tech stocks are dropping as well, this is not the normal TSLA FUD dip soley.

I was never quite sure how I'd ride through a global Depression (in case it's happening now). Pure cash would have been the lucky play, but knowing what I know about Tesla and Technology, I could not sit on the sidelines waiting for the crash like so many of my friends who did not invest in anything (except cash). In hindsight, it was a smart move to stay the course considering the last runup, so I'm not about to change the long strategy.

Maybe it's just a fight in Congress over the stalling for next bailout.

I’ll be honest, I thought $405 was the bottom. Now I just don’t know. I’m not selling any, but will wait for some sign of life before buying more.

Reactions: saniflash
Not everyone reads TMC. I imagine most retail investors arent familiar with battery day, dont understand s&p inclusion and many are not likely familiar with P+D timing and Earnings Dates.

Very true. All they hear are the talking heads on CNBC butchering the Tesla story.

That said I would not underestimate the power of YouTube and the main influencers like Dave, SMR, Rob and Gali. Hopefully people are watching their videos too.

I’m expecting more volatility tomorrow. I imagine the MMs sold a lot of puts at 400, plus uptick rule continues to be in effect. The rug finally got pulled from Tesla and Tech. Embrace the volatility!

I’ll be honest, I thought $405 was the bottom. Now I just don’t know. I’m not selling any, but will wait for some sign of life before buying more.
When institutional investors will stop taking profits of the share they have been hoarding pre S&P500 inclusion, the stock will go up. Depends on what amount they decide is worth taking profit. I’m not sure if they will keep selling below $350