Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It actually did. Things could have been much worse.

I actually completely agree and was just going for the cheap laugh. You were right from the top; I hope you played it to your advantage.

I’ve sold some shares and bought OTM Jan ‘22 calls, and the long term dry powder is ready to be deployed in the retirement accounts, probably at $350. I’m pretty happy with the pullback, but to be fair, Tesla was a day ahead of the rest of the market, so today would have been a real bloodbath otherwise.

The volatility Is the only constant. Such a fun stock to trade (and hold).

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909

Maybe it's a little different in the UK, and maybe I'm just plain weird, but I absolutely love the new car buying experience. I'm happy to be as rude as necessary when met with BS, or even walk out if needed. Go in prepared having done your research and knowing what you should pay. Laugh at and then cross out the ever increasing list of nonsense add-ons and snake oil procedures and just treat it as the entertaining battle that it is. It can be an absolute hoot!

FINRA Short Selling Report for Wed, Sep 02, 2020

"Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting was 7.23% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 105th Percentile (very unlikely to occur by chance). [Ed. Note: Updated Percentile on 03 Sep 2020]

Note in the table below that last week had historically low levels of Naked Shorting: Avg was 0.63% for the week

View attachment 583693

The SP was down -14.7% intraday today after triggering the 'Uptick Rule'. Market Makers and Hedge Funds routinely flaunt SEC rules by exploiting their exemption to naked short selling for Options market makers (SEC Regulation SHO).

Especially note that today's level of naked short selling was predicted in advance due to the mechanism of Options Market Makers being used by Hedge Funds to exploit Regulation SHO to manipulate TSLA's share price.

Certain members of this forum seem unaware that the value of a theory is in its ability to predict events. Today's FINRA data strengthens the theory that Naked Short Selling is being used to manipulate TSLA.

This is NOT new. It has been discussed on this forum for years. It is just now that certain members are beginning to understand these mechanisms and take the issue seriously. THIS MATTERS. Over $25B of Shareholder value was extracted from the Market today by Hedge Funds via exploiting SEC Regulation SHO.

Prediction for tomorrow: Thu Sep 03, 2020
  • With 'Uptick Rule' in effect, Naked Short Selling will be in the 7-9% range as reported by FINRA
  • the Report Data at this link will become available tomorrow after 3:30 PM EDT, Sep 03, 2020
#SEC #BROKENREGSHO

FINRA Short Selling Report for Thu, Sep 03, 2020

"Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting was 9.57% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 126th Percentile (very unlikely to occur by chance).

Note in the table below yesterday's "Naked Sht" ranking has been revised to the 105th Percentile:

DailyShortSaleVolume.2020-09-03.png

As predicted yesterday, with 'Uptick Rule' in effect today, Naked Short Selling was extremely high again. The next FINRA report data will become available tomorrow after 3:30 PM EDT, Sep 04, 2020.

With the Uptick rule in effect for a 3rd consecutive day tomorrow, I predict another session with extremely high naked shorting by Options Market Makers.

Comment: There were 1,245,045 (1.25M) shares of TSLA sold today which where tagged as "Short Exempt" by Market Makers. This on a day when they was ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROBLEM in the functioning of the Market, and NO LIQUIDITY problems in this stock.

This GOES AGAINST the purpose of the Options Market Maker's exemption to the prohibition against naked short selling. Regulation SHO grants that exemption only to provide liquidity in the Market. There were 83,685,688 shares traded by FINRA-reporting entities. There IS NO liquidity problem, and Market Makers are abusing their position of priviledge in the Market for their own proprietary trading. This is ILLEGAL.

Last edited:
I disagree. The Fire data on % EV vs ICE was also around forever, but ignored b/c the news cycles kept hammering that narrative to kill TSLA. Those stories are diminished and it did not come up today with Gordon, to my point. In case you didn't see Rob's show today with Gordon, facts don't matter. This is a perception based economy now, met by reality with "surprises" that aren't surprises at all if we just listen. That's when we get our upside corrections on TSLA, and when least expected, IMHO. And then we all say "see, duh." FSD is the same thing, ignoring facts and safety reports, just a $ driven narrative is all.

There wasn't much good data before Tesla started pumping out cars in volume with the Model 3. Also, the Model 3 appears to have an even lower fire rate than the Model S. It took time for the number of electric vehicle miles travelled to rise to the point that the statistics were statistically robust and available enough that the critics could be silenced. There are delays built into every layer from putting the miles on the EV fleet to compiling and publishing the data to people collecting the data and using it to rebut the false narrative that EV's are a fire danger. It didn't help that photos of every burning Tesla would make the rounds multiple times in the International media while burning ICE cars were almost entirely relegated to local media.

As someone who watched the rise and fall of the "EV's are a fire danger" narrative with great interest, I can say with confidence that it really was the rebutting of that narrative with statistics that caused it to look as silly as it really was and eventually die a quiet death. As late as 2018 some experts were still saying that, in terms of fire risk, EV's were no more dangerous and were probably safer than ICE cars but the data was not robust enough to say they were safer with certainty. By 2018-2019 a number of articles were released that concluded EV's provided a lower fire risk than ICE vehicles and it was in the latter half of that period that the narrative started to lose impact at a noticeable rate.

Of course such rumors die hard when being pushed by people with an agenda and TSLAQ types kept up the disinformation campaign. Many of us here helped rebut that narrative with statistics collected by The National Fire Incident Reporting System and published by NHTSA and others, combined with regular reports of Tesla fleet miles travelled and the number of known Tesla fires (mostly compiled by TSLAQ types, lol).

So that's what finally ended the "Tesla as a fire danger" story and a big thank you to everyone here who tirelessly helped stamp out that narrative by bringing actual statistics to conversations all over the Net, with the result of making the purveyors of such fallacies look sillier than the Emperor wearing his "new clothes" in public. Yes, it was facts and statistics that made these people look naked. Thank you to all who helped!

"Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting was 9.57% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 126th Percentile (very unlikely to occur by chance).

Note in the table below yesterday's "Short Exempt" ranking has been revised to the 105th Percentile:

View attachment 584093

As predicted yesterday, with 'Uptick Rule' in effect, Naked Short Selling was extremely high again today.

The next FINRA Report data will become available tomorrow after 3:30 PM EDT, Sep 04, 2020

With the Uptick rule in effect for a 3rd consecutive day tomorrow, I predict another session with extremely high naked shorting by Options Market Makers

Comment: There were 1,245,045 (1.25M) shares of TSLA sold today which where tagged as "Short Exempt" by Market Makers. This on a day when they was ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROBLEM in the functioning of the Market, and NO LIQUIDITY problems in this stock.

This GOES AGAINST the purpose of the Options Market Maker's exemption to the prohibition against naked short selling. Regulation SHO grants that exemption only to provide liquidity in the Market. There were 83,685,688 shares traded by FINRA-reporting entities. There IS NO liquidity problem, and Market Makers are abusing their position of priviledge in the Market for their own proprietary trading. This is ILLEGAL.

Thank you. Gulp.. :oops:

Note in the table below yesterday's "Short Exempt" ranking has been revised to the 105th Percentile:

View attachment 584093

As predicted yesterday, with 'Uptick Rule' in effect, Naked Short Selling was extremely high again today.

The next FINRA Report data will become available tomorrow after 3:30 PM EDT, Sep 04, 2020

With the Uptick rule in effect for a 3rd consecutive day tomorrow, I predict another session with extremely high naked shorting by Options Market Makers

It does look like Market Makers are abusing this privilege.
Maybe contact teslarati or cleantechnica to do research and an article about this? They have more audience.

After-action Report: Thu, Sep 03, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Triggers Uptick Rule Again on 2nd Day of High Naked Shorting"

Traded: $32,722,634,522.91 ($32.72B)
Volume: 80,433,713
VWAP: $406.83

Closing SP / VWAP: 98.47%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $379.246B / $180.488B = 210.12%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $355.11B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $199.51B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap on pace to unlock 3rd tranche of CEO comp. plan tomorrow Sep 04, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 47.0% (47th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 36.2% (42nd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 9.57% of Short Volume (126th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-09-03.png

Comment: "126th Percentile Naked Shorting with Uptick Rule in effect."

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

I admire Rob for staying so calm and disarm Johnson in spite of getting shouted down all the time. I was worried GJ was getting a heart attack. It was literally making me nervous to listen to that. Clearly he was fighting for his existence while Rob knows the numbers better and throws in a number here and there that completely prove GJ's arguments wrong. Nobody listening to this discussion can say that Rob is wrong and GJ has a point. He was clearly panicking.

Well put. It was so gratifying to watch Rob patiently listen to a long string of BS and then bring Gordo to his knees by pointing out a simple fact or asking a simple question. All of a sudden Gordo would look like a deer in the headlights and quickly change the subject.

So transparent, even someone who didn't know a thing about EV's could see through the BS.

FSD data is out, but that narrative hasn't changed yet. It's statistically valid, but never with 100% confidence. If I'm doing an experiment, and I start seeing more of one thing than another, I don't need millions of units to start drawing some confidence level. Meanwhile they are trying to say FSD is more dangerous that humans? These are incorrect statements that are used because people don't understand probablility. I REALLY wish they would!

Like you say, if we throw in the time delay element, on top of the analysts that milk their story to the grave, it's really hard to build confidence in humans until the data has been confident for a long time. But FSD draws a strong parallel to the fire story. That's when we know it's a real threat I guess. Here's comes FSD...

View attachment 584093

Is there ANY alternative to the SEC to turn to? FBI maybe?

White-Collar Crime — FBI

The FBI’s corporate fraud investigations primarily focus on the following activities:
Falsification of financial information
  • False accounting entries and/or misrepresentations of financial condition;
  • Fraudulent trades designed to inflate profits or hide losses; and
  • Illicit transactions designed to evade regulatory oversight.
  • Self-dealing by corporate insiders
  • Insider trading (trading based on material, non-public information);
    Kickbacks;
  • Misuse of corporate property for personal gain; and
  • Individual tax violations related to self-dealing.
Fraud in connection with an otherwise legitimately operated mutual hedge fund
  • Late trading;
  • Certain market timing schemes; and
  • Falsification of net asset values.

....What Gordon doesn't realize is that the next time he's invited, it'll be after a couple more quarters have gone by and Gordon's "busted growth story" is itself busted.
These types typically just disappear while their theses is not working out for them or move the goal posts. He will just come up with new reasons why Tesla is doomed like one particular factory is not at it's target production rate and you can't count the other factories or how we have to consider the whole story and the solar side is slow. I typically never listen to these types because of how they move the goal post around even during the interview.

He is upset because Tesla is charging for FSD and that's not part of cars? What? What else does one use FSD for? His yogurt maker? Then is cuts his own throat later and starts talking about GMs vaporware like the 21 BEVs in 2021. One exists. The other doesn't. Teslas are actually driving around parking lots with no drivers. FSD in my book altho limited. Where are GM's other BEVs? "They are coming!"

He kept going on and on about the US sales peaking and insinuating how GLOBAL was not important. Then in the next breath he would talk about the EU sales then China.... are global sales important or not. If they are not important then he needs to pick which country is and stick to it. Global sales are increasing. That means Tesla is taking more market share from ICE vehicles particularly since there are 40% less vehicles sold so far this year. Period. Who cares if others also start taking market share from ICE vehicles. Tesla doesn't not sell ICE vehicles. When I guy buys an Ipace what car did he trade in? A Tesla or an ICE. Most are trading in an ICE. Meanwhile Tesla will sell around 500K cars this year. More than last year. Last year 367,500. This year even at 367,501 (it will be more), that equals increased market share. This should have been clearly explained but then the subject is changed too quickly. Rob should have held things on one subject at a time.

If no one can use his guestimates for total production at the end of the year which shows a growth story then ALL of his stuff must be treated the exact same way. A total waste of time. Like toilet boy I will consider him the paper that gets flushed and not listen anymore. He can not stay on target or a talking point. If he sticks to one he gets trampled so he switches around real fast. I mean come on. As soon as he lost the argument about (34 min mark) people trading in ICE for BEVs so the comparison is apples to apples, he totally changed the subject to credits. Typical moron losing a debate.

There might be some non index funds scaling in. But can they go full throttle until they are absolutely sure? Don't see how.

Most of the non-index funds who use the S&P 500 as a yardstick for their own performance will probably hedge their bets with TSLA by buying some before the announcement, some after the announcement and some might even wait until some time after the actual inclusion to fully fund their desired position. Others will front-run their entire desired position on the assumption that it's too risky to wait. Some will forgo TSLA altogether on the assumption that it will be cheaper in the future although I think these would be in the minority.

Tesla is a huge wildcard in terms of expected performance so funds who are more bullish on TSLA will be overweight, many will be equal weight (relative to the S&P 500 Index) and some will be underweight. What they all have in common is they like good deals so we will have a large (and new) source of buyers whenever the price shows weakness (according to each individual fund manager) as well as a new source of sellers whenever those same fund managers think the price is likely to be lower in the future.

I predict a number of fund managers will lose their jobs over TSLA due to being "out" when TSLA continues to rise to the stars. This kind of mistake will leave any fund who measures themselves to the S&P 500 look like a laggard. This tends to cause large outflows of capital from those funds and into funds that are showing better performance.

If no one can use his guestimates for total production at the end of the year which shows a growth story then ALL of his stuff must be treated the exact same way. A total waste of time. Like toilet boy I will consider him the paper that gets flushed and not listen anymore. He can not stay on target or a talking point. If he sticks to one he gets trampled so he switches around real fast. I mean come on. As soon as he lost the argument about (34 min mark) people trading in ICE for BEVs so the comparison is apples to apples, he totally changed the subject to credits. Typical moron losing a debate.

Exactly! There is one way in which Gordo is not a waste of time: As the analyst with the lowest price target for TSLA, it really bolsters the bull case to see how many gaping holes his position has.

Reactions: capster and jw934
After-action Report: Thu, Sep 03, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Triggers Uptick Rule Again on 2nd Day of High Naked Shorting"

Traded: $32,722,634,522.91 ($32.72B)
Volume: 80,433,713
VWAP: $406.83

Closing SP / VWAP: 98.47%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $379.246B / $180.488B = 210.12%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $355.11B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $199.51B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap on pace to unlock 3rd tranche of CEO comp. plan tomorrow Sep 04, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 47.0% (47th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 36.2% (42nd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 9.57% of Short Volume (126th Percentile Rank)​

View attachment 584097

Comment: "126th Percentile Naked Shorting with Uptick Rule in effect."

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!
I don't think this changes even the slightly longer term Stock Price, despite a setback. Because manipulation is not based on fact, Tesla is just coiling up and the return gets even better. We had some overshoot there to the upside but this is crazy cheap, and on purpose as you alleged.

As someone who watched the rise and fall of the "EV's are a fire danger" narrative with great interest, I can say with confidence that it really was the rebutting of that narrative with statistics that caused it to look as silly as it really was and eventually die a quiet death.

Actually, I think it was simply that Model S's stopped catching on fire. The two (I think it was only 2) battery punctured from objects in the road fires were probably some kind of statistical anomaly anyway, but the temp fix of raising the suspension via software and then the puncture guard retrofit certainly seems to have done the trick.

IME, statistics don't matter to many/most people. And to broaden this discussion, that's going to be something hard to overcome with FSD. About 35k deaths per year in the US alone from automobiles today, which is a shocking 11 per 100K people. Per year. Beating that statistic is one thing, but even if FSD is 10 times better, it might still cause 3500 deaths per year if every car had it, and still over 1 person in 100K would die. That would be a huge win, and yet hard to sell to the general population.

More people in the US have died from Covid-19 than from WW I, the Vietnam war, and the Korean war combined. Yet much of the population doesn't understand. Statistics don't matter when it comes to human perception, unfortunately.

It does look like Market Makers are abusing this privilege.
Maybe contact teslarati or cleantechnica to do research and an article about this? They have more audience.
Lol, the only person of influence who reads those 2 websites is Elon. Telsa already body-slammed the Options Market Makers with the 5:1 Dividend Stock Split, to the tune of $5B.

That's all the justice you will ever get on Wall St. Ask yourself if this furthers Tesla's mission, and take comfort. I think Elon, Zack, and Hiro did an outstanding service for Tesla in this event. It's basically a free Terafactory in Austin, Texas and the death knell for the F-150 and other gas guzzlers.

But nobody here on TMC should pretend they weren't warned that this would happen. TSLA closed the After-hrs session at $380.40 dn -6.54% (MMs and Hedgies continued their mischief after hours from 5:15 PM):

TSLA.chart.2020-09-03.png

Note also that TSLA closed the After-hrs session below the Middle BB: ($385 at 16:00 hrs Thu)

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-09-03.20-00.png

#ScorpionAndTheFrog

EDIT: If you need more Justice, join a Class Action Law suit against the Brokers that didn't provide the TSLA dividend shares to their "Beneficial Owners" by the start of trading on Mon, Aug 31, 2020 when TSLA was trading at over $500/share. Those shareholders have been defrauded by their Brokers.

As I predicted here on TMC on Sat, Aug 29, 2020.

Last edited: