Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like some here need reminding:

Share split was announced when Tesla was trading at $274.88c a share on Aug 11th, less than 1 month ago.

At todays closing price, stock is up 20% since split announcement, despite no change in company fundamentals, some minor share dilution from the $5 Billion stock issuance, and unexpectedly not yet included in S&P500.

A 20% increase in a month should be considered a fantastic return for any stock. The almost 100% run-up to $540+ was insane given the lack of any underlying major change in the company, completely driven by idiotic share split FOMO and S&P speculation, rather than any broad change in mindset by investors of the long term fundamentals of the company.

I think people on this forum need to wrap their heads around the fact the company can be undervalued by the market based on long term projections, while at the exact same time be experiencing a short term overvaluation driven by a speculation frenzy.

(disclosure: I have kept my TSLA common stock, but have been selling short term covered calls since last Monday as stock passed $500)

Last edited:
I think the market is overreacting as in there is no material change in the grand scheme of things in our economies (US/CA at least).

The reason why tech stocks surged to ATH after the pandemic scare was mainly because investors noticed how techs were relatively unaffected, if not actually doing better in the pandemic hit economy because traditional business model actually suffered more.

Of course there were FOMO and gov't stimulus that came into play. The end of those effects should stabilize the market a bit and drops a bit accounting for profit taking and what have you.

I'd continue to add stocks like TSLA, TSM and some other stocks I'm holding because if anything, the pandemic actually would actually accelerate their expansion as their business model shows superiority to the traditional ones.

Missing my 1350 buy order pre split is still too fresh in my mind to make me miss another bottom waiting for sub 300.

Regrettably, I haven't been in TSLA as long as many others on this board (due to buying my Model S instead), but one thing I have learned is to remain disciplined and not let daily or weekly SP swings change my view of what this company is capable of doing. Stay the course.

Could the wait time in deliveries be tied to something being changed on battery day?

Possibly, although even with China & Europe poised to produce their own Model Y variants out of the forthcoming Shanghai & Berlin Y factories, at some point the Fremont has to produce Y variant for the rest of world not covered by China and Europe.

In particular, shipping the high margin Performance & AWD Y variant for the LHD markets might make a lot of sense given that includes the UK & most of the Asia Pacific Ex-China region. Could see the first 3/4 weeks of Q4 being devoted to that model before switching back to North America Y production.

upload_2020-9-9_11-51-12.png

• Informative
Reactions: H Mak and UCF3
My account is still up a lot, but down $$$$ from one week ago. I'm not worried at all. The $5 Billion cash raise means the Berlin and Austin Factories were essentially free. Those free factories are going to be making cars a year from now, and tons of cars in two years (eventually more than a million cars each). What other major companies can say that? Q3 will be amazing. Q4 even better. Next year will be better still. The S&P 500 surge will happen again in the next quarter or two (if not this month). Big institutions are making money on the volatility and getting weak longs to sell TSLA cheap. It appears to be working based on the posts today. I'm actually hoping it goes a little lower so I can get more shares with the retirement money I made selling covered calls recently. Then I'll sell even more covered calls against those.

Last edited:
My account is still up a lot, but down $$$$ from one week ago. I'm not worried at all. The $5 Billion cash raise means the Berlin and Austin Factories were essentially free. Those free factories are going to be making cars a year from now, and tons of cars in two years. What other major companies can say that? Q3 will be amazing. Q4 even better. Next year will be better still. The S&P 500 surge will happen again in the next quarter or two (if not this month). Big institutions are making money on the volatility and getting weak longs to sell TSLA cheap. It appears to be working based on the posts today. I'm actually hoping it goes a little lower so I can get more shares with the retirement money I made selling covered calls recently. Then I'll sell even more covered calls against those.
Good points...now get to selling more so the SP can go back up :)

Reactions: BornToFly
After-action Report: Tue, Sep 08, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Trudges Down to 50-Day Moving Average"

Traded: $40,151,427,088.40 ($40.15B)
Volume: 115,490,016
VWAP: $347.66

Closing SP / VWAP: 94.62%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $307.693B / $182.977B = 168.16%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $362.28B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $203.60B
Nota Bene: 3rd tranche of CEO comp. unlocked as of Fri, Sep 04, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 45.7% (45th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 37.1% (43rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 8.40% of Short Volume (115th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-09-07.png

Comment: "Kabuki Theatre on Wall St. moves into Act V"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!