Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think anyone who has held on through a 45% drop is unlikely to be classified as weak hand :D
FWIW, if there are weak hands, it’s ‘hedge fund managers’ who were legacy liberal arts graduates of the Ivy League (nothing against the liberal arts beyond "Why waste this gift on the Street?"). They are the prey of the day.

We’re long past the "We can kill Tesla via the stock market" days.

Could be there’re some bait balls (Bait ball - Wikipedia) of Robinhood and other retail, but I suspect they’ll be more resilient than the sissies in Hermès ties Patagonia vests.

tl;dr: Who’s a BSD? Today the Street eats its own and in this way the Valley schools the Street. :cool:

BTW, I’m not a deliberate practitioner of obscurantism. Just my way of thinking intersects only partially with la mode du jour — so don’t judge me. o_O

Last edited:
To counterbalance today, I thought I'd visit the Fremont factory for an aerial tour. For some good news. I think I've found them.
  • Roof of 47700 Kato looks nearly finished (airducts, pipes, etc)
  • Large building site North of Gigacast
  • Roof is almost finished on Gigacast
  • What looks like cast body panels, that are presumably the new Y underbody pieces
View attachment 586105

Enjoy

You were there but you didn't check GA 4.5? :(:(:(

upload_2020-9-8_21-22-53.png

IMO we are over thinking this and it is doubtful we will get a full explanation.
We might get a partial explanation at Battery Dy.

The ATM is complete now IMO it is a reasonable result and they must have had good reasons for doing it.
it was done at a time when the price was "fairly high", sometimes waiting for a better price doesn't work out.
What the ATM had was the element of surprise both in announcement and execution, it was over before most knew it was happening, split over 10 brokerages, none of them had the full picture..

Maybe the Short Burn is periodic event that happens every few months... 5X the current share price then work out the entry price for most shorts, the only ones that were not burned are well under water.... In spite of the odd comment on Twitter I doubt shorts are a major focus, more factories, batteries and cars are a focus...

Something happening with the S&P would not surprise, but if anything is happening, we will find out when it happens.

Dodger came up with a good explanation earlier GF Austin needs cash, as does anything else they announce at Battery Day.
> it was done at a time when the price was "fairly high", sometimes waiting for a better price doesn't work out.
I see your point.
For me still, barring a concern of macros not doing well around BDay event, I fail to see a reason to rush this ATM offering other than implying BDay won't have much upside for SP.

> it was done at a time when the price was "fairly high", sometimes waiting for a better price doesn't work out.
I see your point.
For me still, barring a concern of macros not doing well around BDay event, I fail to see a reason to rush this ATM offering other than implying BDay won't have much upside for SP.

1 in the hand better than 2 in the bush.

They knew what the price was at the time, and were happy to do a raise to get the money they wanted. Nobody can guarantee what happens after bday. They could assume much more favorable pricing and end up wrong.

I see your point.
It's like saying why executives keep selling their stock while Tesla can be worth much more later on.

I see your point.

There is no reason we know of ... but the mechanism used did get it done as quickly and opaquely as possible....

If they need extra cash after Battery Day a typical approach is to outline the case, and raise the cash after the event..

Perhaps they are going to announce that they have the cash, and have signed contracts?

IMO Battery Day should have an upside, put share prices north of $450 were very good prices, we may not get back to that kind of territory after Battery Day.

But we have Q3 Production and Deliveries to come.... time to focus on predictions there... because that may have a bigger short term effect than Battery Day.

• Love
Reactions: wipster
Seems like some here need reminding:

Share split was announced when Tesla was trading at $274.88c a share on Aug 11th, less than 1 month ago.

At todays closing price, stock is up 20% since split announcement, despite no change in company fundamentals, some minor share dilution from the $5 Billion stock issuance, and unexpectedly not yet included in S&P500.

A 20% increase in a month should be considered a fantastic return for any stock. The almost 100% run-up to $540+ was insane given the lack of any underlying major change in the company, completely driven by idiotic share split FOMO and S&P speculation, rather than any broad change in mindset by investors of the long term fundamentals of the company.

I think people on this forum need to wrap their heads around the fact the company can be undervalued by the market based on long term projections, while at the exact same time be experiencing a short term overvaluation driven by a speculation frenzy.

(disclosure: I have kept my TSLA common stock, but have been selling short term covered calls since last Monday as stock passed $500)
The Blind Faith method attempt to harness the paradox of how a stock can be underpriced for long-term value while over-priced in the short run.

Couple of observations before signing off for the day. The largest ever move forces me to put a few thoughts down. Bad news first:

From close of Friday to close of Tuesday, we lost ~88 points. And given the size of the move, today was pretty mediocre volume at ~115 Million. I'd have expected a volume of about ~150 million or more. This means, there was not enough liquidity in the market to delta hedge by market makers. I think they are now net long TSLA and would probably look to get flatter tomorrow, which would be an overhang. This is consistent with the theory that the options exacerbate volatility. We saw a large down move and the open options tend to push it in the same direction until there is a reversal. If macros are not very strong, tomorrow is likely to be another down day.

Now, on to more cheerful things, historically all raises have been quickly followed by a rally. Like Pavlov's dogs, several buyers will come in once Tesla discloses tomorrow (9/9) what they managed to sell the offering at. I expect around ~425 (A bit higher than 420!). Kudos to Zach on consistently nailing the local tops!!

At a more micro level, the last time we were at 330 was in mid August (8/17). At that time, there were about 220 million shares supporting the options open interest (notionally). That number today is about 155 million. Means about 65 million shares worth of exposure has translated from options to straight up stock. Anytime this happens, it means stock is moving into stronger hands than the typical option speculator. Even if these numbers are all overstated by a factor of 2, that is still a significant "absorption" of the stock.

This is how progress is made on the stock price front - 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Never in a straight line. This backing and filling is needed for stock to move from weaker to stronger hands, on top of which further gains are built. If you're able to time the market all the more power to you. But the worst you could do is let this volatility shake you off this ride. If selling a bit here helps you hold on stronger, would recommend that too, but my buy finger is getting a bit itchy.

Can we stop discussing Nikola Motors please. What Nikola does has no bearing on Tesla whatsoever.

I had to mute people and words on Twitter to keep my timeline clean of $Tslaq level of toxic behaviour by the $NKLAQ crowd.

Let’s just focus on Elon & Tesla.

Means about 65 million shares worth of exposure has translated from options to straight up stock. Anytime this happens, it means stock is moving into stronger hands than the typical option speculator.
*raises hand* I am one of them. Bought 155 shares, some LEAPS and a couple of lotto calls for October.

Last edited:
To counterbalance today, I thought I'd visit the Fremont factory for an aerial tour. For some good news. I think I've found them.
  • Roof of 47700 Kato looks nearly finished (airducts, pipes, etc)
  • Large building site North of Gigacast
  • Roof is almost finished on Gigacast
  • What looks like cast body panels, that are presumably the new Y underbody pieces
View attachment 586105

Enjoy

This just goes to show how risky it is to expose your underbody outside, even on your own property. You never know who might be snooping!

The Blind Faith method attempt to harness the paradox of how a stock can be underpriced for long-term value while over-priced in the short run.

It’s a real thing, seen it often before with other stocks where there is a sudden sharp run up to an ATH based on speculation, a large drop when the short term speculative event proves to be wrong, and then a long time later the underlying company has proven itself and regained and overtaken the previous ATH, but this time based on underlying fundamentals instead of speculation.

The reason underlying a massive run up in a stock price is very important in determining whether that run up will hold or not.