Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they will probably succeed because they’re bankrolled by the Saudi‘s who have bottomless bank accounts currently. But depending on how this evolution progresses those bottomless bank accounts may find their bottoms quickly.

I agree with many of the posters here, nobody’s likely to catch Tesla; but some “competition“ for lack of a better word would be healthy for the acceleration of vehicle electrification.
Didn't know Lucid was bankrolled by the Saudis. This disgusts me but I realize it could be good for the EV movement.

Reactions: Nocturnal
People said the same thing about The S&X and free Supercharging. And what happened, locals spent hours charging at Superchargers to avoid paying for the energy at home.

"a few hours of free electricity"? The Lucid Air comes with a 113kWh pack, for most people that is ~4 days, or almost 100 hours, of free electricity. So yes, I expect plenty of people will happily sit in their fancy Lucid Air interior for an hour to get free energy to power their home.

It is baked into the price of the car, Lucid needs an exclusion for a taxi service like Tesloop.

Maybe it’s the current environment we are living in, maybe it’s for lack of advertising, maybe it’s just not Elon and Tesla, but the viewership for this launch event is pretty sad. Looking at YouTube views, even well known influencers are only hitting 5K views. What they presented today is a major challenge to Tesla if they can manage a Q1/2 2021 delivery.

Looking forward to the EV and home energy wars. This only means great things for green tech and humanity.

I believe giga Buffalo will also make batteries. Why not. Smaller footprint isn't a worry (just look at Kato rd. Roadrunner facility). Also, do you remember that assemblyman who said tesla was going to make a second on-board battery? Assemblyman Sean Ryan
If that happens it would just be for TE. Batteries for cars would have to be shipped too far. But Power Walls to go along with solar sales makes sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
I couldn't get through much more than the first few minutes of the Lucid unveil. All this smooth blather. Perhaps people who like that sort of thing are their audience?

Let's start with the claim that they chose to "think completely different". Note they didn't say "think different" because that would be thinking the same as Apple, but they retained the recognizable grammatical anomaly so as to claim kinship with Apple's legendary design prowess. Only not.

And then they went through a bunch of things that somehow thinking completely different led them to, and amazingly they were almost exactly what Tesla did with the Model S, mostly back in 2012. Uncanny! They could have shortened their presentation significantly by just saying "Tesla got it all right, so we copied them. Only completely different, if you know what we mean."

And in market-speak that defied physics they decided to make "something that just flowed through the air without being overly aggressive, and through that vision we came up with this idea of a jet..." Umm... hard to get more aggressive than a jet. Maybe they meant a glider? I sure don't think they are using a propulsion system that flings mass out the back end.

And they were inspired to "simplify the vehicle down to its very core essence. The car really has just one line that goes all the way round, and that became this key defining feature and all of the other details flay [play?] off of that one line..." Maybe I just don't have enough patience with design-speak, but that struck me as seriously heavy on the bullshit.

And it all culminated in "the largest taillight ever". I had to stop at that point.

I think they will probably succeed because they’re bankrolled by the Saudi‘s who have bottomless bank accounts currently. But depending on how this evolution progresses those bottomless bank accounts may find their bottoms quickly.

I agree with many of the posters here, nobody’s likely to catch Tesla; but some “competition“ for lack of a better word would be healthy for the acceleration of vehicle electrification.
The same Saudi’s that were interested when we got the “Funding secured” tweet?

Maybe it’s the current environment we are living in, maybe it’s for lack of advertising, maybe it’s just not Elon and Tesla, but the viewership for this launch event is pretty sad. Looking at YouTube views, even well known influencers are only hitting 5K views. What they presented today is a major challenge to Tesla if they can manage a Q1/2 2021 delivery.

Looking forward to the EV and home energy wars. This only means great things for green tech and humanity.

I’m sorry but a $170K car is not a major challenge to Tesla. Not even close.

Interesting comment. Made me realize that early adopters of Teslas were in the same boat, took a big risk as there was no way to know if a new car company would fail.

Are any of you on this board part of that group?
I bought VIN 2383, early non-Sig. I knew the nearest service was 90 miles away. There was no supercharger network and none promised when I made a deposit in April 2011. I figured I might have to rent for some trips but never did need to. Never bought anything more expensive than a Passat but wanted to support the mission.

Can you explain how a car at that price will be competition? No matter how good the car is, it needs to find its market, and Model S is not playing the same game as Lucid Air.

Sure thing, it’s proof that there are in-fact teams out there that are actually interested in pushing the envelope and improving on existing tech, even if I think it looks hideous and is way over dramatized.

Their drivetrain is impressive and they put on a good show. The are very obviously not a Fisker or Faraday and if they can manage to continuously innovate and/or mass produce vehicles and introduce models at a mass market price they will do well. As others have previously point out, this is 2013 Tesla with a few present day novelties.

I’ll happily support anything that furthers the demise of ICE and big oil.

Dragtimes thinks that Lucid is sandbagging the 1/4th mile times and that it can actually run a 9.7 and it seems that there is a Lucid prototype that runs 9.3: Lucid Has A More Powerful Tri-Motor Air Prototype That Runs 9.3-Second Quarter Miles

Game over ICE :D. I can't wait to see the specs on the Model S Plaid... it has to beat that Lucid for less. I needs to sell lots of calls to get one haha

edit: I can't type to save my life.

99.9% of the people that make up new car purchasers couldn't give a crap about how fast $100k+ cars do the quarter mile, and it will have zero impact on the global auto fleet transition from ICE -> EVs

Interesting comment. Made me realize that early adopters of Teslas were in the same boat, took a big risk as there was no way to know if a new car company would fail.

Are any of you on this board part of that group?
I am, I ordered a Model S in early 2012. Received it March 2013. Drove it for 7 years and 90k miles with hardly any problems at all. At 90k miles it was like new. Tight and no rattles at all. I also bought 1,200 shares at about $35/share, and keep buying ever since.