Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a car enthusiast, I watched the Lucid presentation and was left underwhelmed.

it’s a bit ho hum. I would never choose that car over a plaid S - and certainly not at that price point.

I’m glad they exist - for the mission and all - as well as to provide some healthy competitive pressure to Tesla ( though I don’t see that product as much competition.

I hope this will encourage more use of higher end materials in the S.

Executive seating layout seemed nice.

From a SP perspective hopefully it will shine more of a light on the ev space and get more people interested

Reactions: capster
V2G is not only about the vehicle, it also requires a good way of integrating the ”to grid” part. Here Tesla will have a huge advantage in that they have powerwall, autobidder and are an electricity distributor in several countries already. It will greatly benefit from scale, which is another advantage for Tesla and the main selling point here will be cost/capacity where Tesla currently have an advantage. Good luck being the only Lucid Air owner in your local neighborhood and setting up selling electricity to the grid. So many steps that will cost you in time and hardware to be able to show your friends that you have ”saved” a little bit of cash. While Tesla will likely actually ship a complete solution that will be easy to plug and play for those homeowners who own a Tesla V2G car, a Tesla Powerwall and a Tesla Solar Roof, which will actually be a non zero population.

Most are not interested in the disruption.

They want a nice car. That it does spew toxins and pollution is a bonus.

It is ok that Lucid is not interest in a vehicle for every car and purpose.

Daimler Benz did quite well during the ICE Age. Half of revenue coming from Mercedez and the other half coming from Daimler. All without a Golf/Corolla competitor.

More info in Air

Lucid-Air-Model-Variations-and-Specifications-table-Loren-McDonald-2.png
Hmmmm
Maybe my Tesla tech limitations are influencing me, but doesn't the way lithium ion batteries work suggest that these different kWh battery pack sizes would likely NOT charge at the same rate per this table?

Plaid Model S will rock the Lucid Air's world. They just come in a touch quicker than a performance model s:

I got that from electrek (Tesla Model S Performance achieves new record quarter-mile with 'Cheetah stance' - Electrek)

Yes, shaving ~0.5 second is impressive. But the new roadster is supposed to be 8.8 seconds. I expect plaid model s around 9.5, though it might be a little faster. Nothing against Lucid, but any attempt to "one up" Tesla is misguided at best.

Lucid has a history in Formula-E, they showed strip-performance just now - why is all Tesla community so dissmissive of their achievement and claims? As an investor I fear a sell-the-news event if everyone is expecting Tesla to outannounce Lucid in less than 2 weeks - because, in contrast to lucid, Tesla needs to deliver instantly on those announcements or they osborne their cars ...

Lucid has a history in Formula-E, they showed strip-performance just now - why is all Tesla community so dissmissive of their achievement and claims? As an investor I fear a sell-the-news event if everyone is expecting Tesla to outannounce Lucid in less than 2 weeks - because, in contrast to lucid, Tesla needs to deliver instantly on those announcements or they osborne their cars ...

Temporary osborning would probably not be a problem with over 10 billion (?) in cash.

As an investor, Lucid is irrelevant. Even if they totally destroyed Teslas model S performance sales, its such a small part of teslas business that who cares? Plus... they wont. And they certainly wont do it soon. I'll care when I see one on an actual road driven by an actual buyer. (Taking of which I saw my first every jaguar i-pace yesterday).

As a car-buyer, I actually do NOT want 1200 miles/hour charging rate. I never charge my S on a road trip more than 200 miles as it is, and FFS I need time to have a coffee and a call of nature.
My 2015 model S tends to get 50kw or slower when I charge at a supercharger. Its already fast enough for me. Why do people constantly compete over a metric thats already fine.

The future of EVs is not faster, or longer range, or faster charging. Its cheaper. He who makes desirable, cheap EVs will win. Everything else is for corporate bragging rights.

This all comes back to what Elon stated about the pace of innovation being all important.

Lucid have some good innovations including the 900V architecture, they Taycan with an 800V being one other higher voltage car.

But in the current Tesla line up only the Plaid Model S has to go head-to-head with Lucid, I expect it to do that.

It is good to see genuine innovation and competitive innovation in the BEV space as that will bring rapid product improvements.

I still expect to see Plaid Model S announced at battery day, and shipping Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.
Plaid Model S will be competing with Lucid and Taycan and probably priced accordingly...

Other Tesla cars are competing in different segments at different prices, I can't see much of on Osborne effect.

There is a possible limited Osborne effect on Model S/X, if the Plaid models only ship Q1 2021, but I don't expect that...

This all comes back to what Elon stated about the pace of innovation being all important.

Lucid have some good innovations including the 900V architecture, they Taycan with an 800V being one other higher voltage car.

But in the current Tesla line up only the Plaid Model S has to go head-to-head with Lucid, I expect it to do that.

It is good to see genuine innovation and competitive innovation in the BEV space as that will bring rapid product improvements.

I still expect to see Plaid Model S announced at battery day, and shipping Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.
Plaid Model S will be competing with Lucid and Taycan and probably priced accordingly...

Other Tesla cars are competing in different segments at different prices, I can't see much of on Osborne effect.

There is a possible limited Osborne effect on Model S/X, if the Plaid models only ship Q1 2021, but I don't expect that...

See, you just confirmed my fear that we all thing Tesla will outannounce them ... what if they won't? Well ... actually ... I also expect them to outannounce Lucid ... so guilty as well :D

Reactions: MC3OZ and oldTAVguy
The future of EVs is not faster, or longer range, or faster charging. Its cheaper. He who makes desirable, cheap EVs will win. Everything else is for corporate bragging rights.

For now, I agree. But in the near future, it may all be trumped by simple availability.

I myself don't have a driver's license, and have only been a passenger in an EV (a Tesla) 3 times, but the impression I get from others is that it's a much more pleasant vehicle to own than an ICE vehicle.

More importantly, Tesla's EVs (3 and Y) are already cheaper to own than equivalent ICE vehicles, and even the laggards in the industry should soon be able to, at a profit, produce EVs with a cheaper TCO than an equivalent ICE vehicle.

When the general public catches onto this in a couple of years, and depreciation of ICE vehicles worsens, demand for EVs could quickly outpace supply, especially if OEMs continue to hold onto their attitudes that EV adoption will play out very slowly and take decades.

If other companies don't also build out a lot of EV supply chains and manufacturing facilities in addition to Tesla, maybe there will be a period where the sales of almost all EVs will be supply constrained.

3D5A98F2-8B11-4307-81C3-5C604050137A.jpeg
Longevity point: I own a 2014 model S. Now I successfully retrofitted 2018 seats to it. These seats rock and now I feel I want to keep this car for many more years.

I totally agree! My MS from 2015 is my best investment ever. Sure, the value of the car has been reduced 45 % - but my ownership and expierience of the car convinced me to buy TSLA... and the gains fully makes up for that (and way more )

My MS had the next gen seats from the beginning, so I upgraded the 19” stock wheels to these beasts instead. I’m also ready for the next 5 years in my Tesla.

View attachment 586626

I totally agree! My MS from 2015 is my best investment ever. Sure, the value of the car has been reduced 45 % - but my ownership and expierience of the car convinced me to buy TSLA... and the gains fully makes up for that (and way more )

My MS had the next gen seats from the beginning, so I upgraded the 19” stock wheels to these beasts instead. I’m also ready for the next 5 years in my Tesla.

These are the seats I installed, a lot of work but totally worth it.
0ip7VJUM-JYt1jB9Z8jaRSxUIhW_YmNpFAtWhkhPP4Q2nnwkmTHpdk1bQQfa4JzzVCCzHvHxoVTXKP7zxFXl_0-rLgreJVhHaCEO04WlwR0ihAvak7rnfYWnBd9FjPRARpWxjpPUXEppik6I3KhujherUrIWbE3NXCRipiGS8QhFwtHs4zMGuc0PeiwZuWUwnqfhFWRRfMFGTqlxydmC61DdYE_4AK6-24bLn1drhM1jPkYU-dVX9kWn50wWMOnxlWrKCQP38zQ1JSK2pZ_Ktj0lt1p9-5GbB0RtjAihFh4bMWZ5cUbpaOMieLA60DnoBtuFYUBRibxNso0p-__ocmIjNDzifcz_uNbFYwdFDPF7HBorae5j1qMy0SqX5nJME6DtWF1H9I-2v6cLzJ2qBJUfwSA2zfSfZW4xJTY5Oa1fXYQMzBhxe3FUUd3h3H-A-qvI6DizOSd6idTRv1k5ElfQHTlbBbTeRsvfiQ9BBI9ZqGuQuJ1U3lwsYXXaFfAy582vTH5Sm9pN8vkR-lJkhP4JeGwJWkzeyzuY_2C274AtqN78g2XoFyv88UXwVPQr48UOgy8r7Z8mfmzepIqW2DZfB5iX6kyq6D_5xA0CR6nTImbWog6Phqpb-LsmPGvbVyrxVBJ0eyGmdpyErpuUlqJZoAwM-9QF_eY9v-Y-QIKDuffmOJYb-HPNErKK=w699-h931-no

I agree regarding Lucid innovations including the 900 volt architecture and general efficiency.. I feel that Lucid wants to one up everyone else on specs: 900 volt vs 800 volts, >500 mile range vs. 400 mile range (113 Kw battery + efficiency), etc.

I did a quick but not exhaustive search for silicon carbide mosfet Vds (blocking or breakdown voltage and found 1700 volt devices max which might make a 1500 volt architecture feasible (speculation). Obviously there are other limits such as insulation breakdown as well as diminishing returns. The value here might be a new Supercharger power level. If not for Supercharger, it would certainly be useful for the Megacharger and Tesla Semi. I know there was earlier similar discussion, but maybe I’ll create a new technical thread on this. We all know about Elon’s stance on pace of innovation and willingness to aggressively increase efficiency.

Reactions: capster
Who would you like to see succeed as the 2nd US EV maker (behind Tesla)?
  • Ford
  • GM
  • Chrysler
  • Rivian
  • Lucid
  • No one
6 months ago I would have said Rivian, now I prefer Lucid, even though their first car isn't something I personally would buy.

IMO the legacy ICE makers have tried to slow down the adoption of EVs and don't have a culture of innovation.

The world is big enough for 2 US car companies it will be a long hard slog for Lucid to get to scale, just as tough as it was for Tesla.

if I had to nominate who is most likely to fill second spot it is GM, they don't deserve it and their products will be mediocre unless they can complete overhaul their corporate culture.

No one is a possibility, but not very likely IMO.
Lucid has the honor if not having stolen Tesla intellectual property like Rivian.

They deserve respect for their engineering prowesses.

A) Emphasis on "the claimed"... and Tesla not standing still.
B) I agree some folks still do equate luxury with dead tortured animals, but BEV buyers might be among the vanguard of the eco-conscious who know animal agriculture contributes to climate change more than transportation.
C) Never heard of this hardship for Model S passengers.
D) Tesla discontinued their executive rear seats. Not enough demand?
E) Wait two weeks.

A) I agree about "claimed," that's why I worded it that way. But it still answers your original questioning of "why anyone would buy" a Lucid air. You do remember your original question, right? I answered it and you have no rebuttal on this point.

B) You agree with me on this, then, too. Why are you posting this response?

C) You never heard of Model S rear passenger discomfort? Read the TMC forums, or heck, be 6' tall and sit in the back yourself.
Rear Seat Legroom?
Consumer Reports Talking Cars

D) Sure, Tesla discontinued their "executive rear seats" maybe because they weren't executive enough. You think Tesla's offering was as good as Lucid's appears to be? Defend it if you can. Lucid's is far better for the China market in my view.

E) Look, again, you asked "why anyone would buy" a Lucid and I reported back with range. Telling me to wait 2 weeks to hear about some potential future range promise from Tesla doesn't invalidate that reason today.

I see. Only slightly "drastically different."

No young people with money in Beverly Hills? Have you been there?

Stop being so defensive. I didn't say anything about your tirades on "drastically different" not being different enough or drastic enough. You may not think Lucid's design is appealing but you can't deny that some people will find Lucid's design more appealing than what Tesla offers today. You can pick on Lucid's "drastic" claims all you want, I'm not defending the claims, just the design itself.

As for your "no young people with money" counter-argument, you really need stop being so defensive that you resort to claiming I said things I didn't actually say. I didn't say there weren't young people with money in BH (or anywhere), I said young people were not Lucid's target market. If you can't see the difference, then you shouldn't be posting here. If you're going to attempt to put words in my mouth, then you shouldn't be posting here.

Man-o-man, chill out brother. A fan rendering that looks exactly like the front half of Cybertruck does indeed give an idea what Cybercar could look like. And I'm not saying Cybercar will appeal to leather-loving same-only-different buyers. I said it will appeal to lots of buyers. Nighty night.

Me chill? You're the one who is so desperate to defend Tesla that you show something that Tesla doesn't even make or has said they'll make! If you're going to say Tesla is more innovative with design, then you need to show actual Tesla innovative designs, not fanboi renderings. What we actually have from Tesla is a very staid Model S exterior design, and as a matter of fact, Tesla is on record that making Model S look NOT DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT than ICE cars was a design goal for them.

And since I know you'll deny that as you denied the easy to find complaints on Model S rear seats, here's what Franz himself as said: "Our goal is to modernize the design of the classic sedan silhouette ...." (Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete) Or read this article on Franz and his designs before Cybertruck: Why the Cybertruck is a breakthrough for Tesla and designer Franz von Holzhausen where Model S is described as a "perfectly normal-looking all-electric sedan."

Tesla has not and is not offering anything drastic in Model S exterior design. That was an advantage for them compared to Nissan Leaf's bugeye headlights and upright front and I3's skinny tires and eco-coloring and tall/skinny profile. For some reason other OEMs thought that EVs had to look different, but when they made them look different they made them look worse in most people's eyes. Model S has a frunk because Franz felt that people didn't want something drastically different even if an EV doesn't need that a long hood since it doesn't have an engine. It would actually be more practical to move the front seats further towards the front (visibility and increased space in the rear), but that would look too drastically different and Franz/Tesla didn't want that.

Congrats! Where are you getting your Model 3 at? Heading to Manchester's Tesla station? I've tried to stalk, er, I mean, visit, various Tesla show rooms and didn't think Liverpool had any. Or are you getting it delivered to your door?

I'm on the train to Manchester!

Take the last train to Manchester
and I'll meet you at the station
you can be there by 4:30
cause you made a reservation.

Drive it home.
Drive it home
Drive it HOME.