Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great insights as always, StealthP3D. I think there is a scenario that is playing out for many us here where the odds may actually be in our favor. Those who've held long, HODL'ing since the beginning of the TSLA story, have unbelievable gains AND are really unbalanced in their portfolios. I liken this to winning a big hand at the beginning of a poker game. That player now has enough to bully his way around the table. He can do things that would not make sense to others at the table.

What's your opinion of allocating a small percent of holdings to Far Out of the Money Covered Calls for the OG TSLA shareholder?

Upside is obviously capped... but i think this strategy is good for harvesting the cream off the top. Would be intentional diversification and a core position would be retained.

I've begun selling covered call LEAPs because them triggering would be hitting my sale targets that I expected in the year 2025+

As solid-state batteries are restricted in their fast-charging capacity, Mercedes-Benz is offering a new generation of the previously used NMC batteries as an alternative.

I'm not in the camp that says solid-state batteries will never happen...... I'm in the camp that says battery Day can solve most problems solid-state are trying to solve, in particular safety and energy density, via other means.

My impression is lithium-metal is the next frontier .....

The Daimler quote reminds me of a post from Karen on twitter?

Something about it being harder to move energy though solids...

Not to say that solid-state might not one day be great, it is more accurate to say it isn't currently a silver bullet.

But it's prospects are better than the prospects of hydrogen for land transport ... "Hello Nikola"...

Last edited:
What's your opinion of allocating a small percent of holdings to Far Out of the Money Covered Calls for the OG TSLA shareholder?

Upside is obviously capped... but i think this strategy is good for harvesting the cream off the top. Would be intentional diversification and a core position would be retained.

I'm not sure what an "OG TSLA shareholder" is but, in general, I don't like the idea of covered calls:

You hold the underlying stock because you think it has better than average potential. The reason the Covered Calls pay at all is because if the stock performs really well, the underlying Calls will appreciate even more. Of course this is just as bad for for the person who sold them for a small amount of income (you) as it is good for the person who bought them from you. It's like betting against your own stock. Yet they offer no real downside protection unless you want to consider the small premium you were able to keep which is really insignificant compared to the losses if the stock implodes.

Basically, it's speculation that your own stock will not excel. If you have special insight that this is likely to be the case it could be a good risk/reward. But with a stock like TSLA I think, in general, it's shooting yourself in the foot for very little benefit. Income is over-rated - long-term capital appreciation is where it's at. If you really need the income, just sell a few shares here and there. That way you retain all the appreciation for more shares than if some are called away right when the getting is getting good. Or, if you don't think the stock has much potential for capital appreciation, sell them all.

I disagree that it's diversification and I don't see the fact that your core position would be retained, even if the shares you covered your calls with are called away, to be relevant to your bet selling covered calls. You are going to have your core position even if you don't sell covered calls so that's irrelevant to the decision. I think this scheme sounds better than it is due to the human factor I mentioned in my previous post (that humans have a strong tendency to under-estimate how likely an unlikely thing really is and to ignore just how much worse off you will be if that unlikely thing happens).

Last edited:
Company wide growth rate hides the rapid growth in new Apple product lines. The iPhone line reached maturity mid-decade and since then has had "lumpy" performance with up and down years, while Apples "Wearables" (Watch) & "services" segments have had high growth rates. Services revenue has doubled over last 4 years, and with its services gross margins approaching 70%, it is most of the reason why the company is worth ~$2 Trillion. If it doubles services revenue again, Apple will be earning $70 Billion gross profit from the services segment alone (in addition to the ~$70 Billion in gross profit it already gets from other product segments).

In terms of future products that Apple has been pouring tens of billions of R&D into, it falls into 4 main categories:
- Core tech: relentless development of software and silicon for its annual product updates
- Health, which manifests as Apple Watch hardware & Software features.
- Augmented Reality, which manifest currently as AR software APIs for iOS devices with cameras & lidar sensors, but is undoubtedly for AR glasses coming at some point over next 12-24 months, which is their next major new product line bet.
- Automation Intelligence, which was focused around an autonomous car project, which whilst it still has test cars on public roads seems to have been downsized significantly to a research project versus the previous indication it was going to release its own EVs (Apple had talks about acquiring Tesla in 2013 for this purpose).

I think you accidently posted this to the wrong website/forum.

Tesla Patents Metal-Air Battery Pack, May Be Strong Clue for Battery Day 2020 : teslainvestorsclub

I don't think this will be a big part of battery Day.....

It is further confirmation that Tesla has looked under every rock..

EDIT:: From a quick read it looks the Meal-Air pack is being use to absorb Thermal Runaway from a conventional pack or at least reduce the impact, It is no more interesting as the Metal-Air pack is both an energy source and layer of protection for the conventional pack.

EDIT2: My recollection is that in a Metal-Air pack the metal is slowly consumed, as stated in the patent by reacting with oxygen in the air.. This part of the pack car be recharged? Perhaps the Metal portion is simply replaced after a while...? The regular pack can be recharged... so maybe the Metal-Air part of the pack is "Emergency Range" or "Vacation Range". To absorb oxygen from the air it needs to be on the outside...? That probably means it can be periodically replaced.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm way behind. No way I'm reading 30 pages to catch up.[/QUO

I met a person that works at Tesla that is working on the Roadster. I drive for Lyft with my Tesla. It's a lot of fun. Lot's of people around here in Stockton work for Tesla. Looks like the Roadster will be out in about 5 months or so. She was telling me that the first ones will cost $350,000.

EV Sales (ev-sales.blogspot.com)

Germany August Model 3 leads
upload_2020-9-15_22-47-4.png

DE.jpg