Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for these updates @Troy
upload_2020-9-16_11-3-3.jpeg

@Words of HABIT I just got off a video chat with Mom. Strangely enough out-of-the-blue she asked (I did not mention it) how the SP was doing. We haven’t spoken about it since she called $2,500. I told her it was currently $480 post split. She nodded and blithely said it’s going to $900 and then $1000, soon.

Because I knew you’d ask, I asked ‘When is soon, Mom?
She said (a bit snappishly) ‘I don’t know. I can’t predict these things.’
I said, ‘Well, you said soon, so define soon. Is soon tomorrow? Next week?’
She said, ‘This year.’
I said, ‘This year?!?!?!?!’
She said, ‘Yeah, who was your favorite dancer last night? I fell asleep and missed Johnny Weir, but I taped it on my PVR so I’ll watch it tonight after they get me into bed. They’re short staffed again today, so they’re behind schedule. I didn’t like tonight’s dinner choices so I asked for a peanut butter sandwich. Yes, Tina, I’m ready for bed. Goodnight, I love you. *hung up on me*

I’d say she’s bat poo crazy, but I know she’s not. Some short term memory issues, a little ADHD, but not crazy. So there it is. Mom has spoken. (She can’t possible be right a third time, can she?)

Tesla is quietly building a mammoth Supercharger with a whopping 56 stalls

CHONKY new super charger location, with a restaurant nearby. It wasn't clear if the restaurant is going to be built in addition to the chargers (ala 50's drive in diner style mentioned by the Overlord), or exists already.

They are also building a big new sales site out here in Naperville. It is about 13 miles west of the Westmont sales center, which is small and doesn't have a lot of room for service. The Naperville site is a former auto dealer, probably leasing for a good deal and it is a full size dealership facility. I'll get a picture and post, but its a great site for Tesla. White building and modern. This is great news for me and I'll be getting friends over there to visit when they open.
Could it instead be for the Model 3 HVAC changeover (following the frunk size change)?
YES! New frunk, reported heat pump delivered in Europe.

@Words of HABIT I just got off a video chat with Mom. Strangely enough out-of-the-blue she asked (I did not mention it) how the SP was doing. We haven’t spoken about it since she called $2,500. I told her it was currently $480 post split. She nodded and blithely said it’s going to $900 and then $1000, soon.

She said, ‘This year.’
She said, ‘Yeah, who was your favorite dancer last night? I fell asleep and missed Johnny Weir, but I taped it on my PVR so I’ll watch it tonight after they get me into bed. They’re short staffed again today, so they’re behind schedule. I didn’t like tonight’s dinner choices so I asked for a peanut butter sandwich. Yes, Tina, I’m ready for bed. Goodnight, I love you. *hung up on me*

I’d say she’s bat poo crazy, but I know she’s not. Some short term memory issues, a little ADHD, but not crazy. So there it is. Mom has spoken. (She can’t possible be right a third time, can she?)
Can you please ask her when SPoon inclusion is gonna happen? This year, next year??? :D:D:D:D

The Oracles of yore were always crazy (or high). They often had pretty good predictions.

She said, ‘This year.’

I have some U.S. election questions for her...

Jim Keller.

He was with Apple for 4 years... Only at Tesla for 2 and he left Tesla a while ago-early 2018- he doesn't tend to stay super long at companies.

He was at the neuralink demo allegedly though which was interesting.

I was referring to Pete Bannon actually.

Jim Keller was at the Neuralink presentation, I think Lex Fridman mentioned it.

Yes, it's mostly about tax consequences, so in an untaxed account the math changes. The rest of this post assumes untaxed. Thanks for making me think about this in more detail.

The other reason is the "delta" (someone else said this but it's inconvenient for me to look back to see who it was). At the moment these 240's are so deep in the money that they move almost dollar for dollar with the stock. I could roll them up but would want to keep the delta value high. Suppose I have 10 contracts at the moment, and I want to increase the number of contracts while keeping the delta high. Bid is $266, so I want to find something with an ask of about $133 if I want to double the number of contracts; that's still way OTM (around $750 strike). Forget that.

(Detour for a second. $240 (strike) plus $266 (bid) is $506, still a lot of time value, $56 per share roughly, which is 12.5%... higher than I expected for something this far into the money. The other poster said he wants delta about 85%, so he couldn't go for a much higher strike than that anyway.)

So, I sell all 10 and have $266k burning a hole in my pocket. What do I buy? At the money calls are currently asking $196.65, so I can buy 13 of them and have some cash left over, but I'm assuming a lot more risk; the stock has to get to nearly $650 before that move pays off, and of course if it drops instead I could lose everything.

Here's an admission: a couple of years ago I did pretty much this, got way aggressive in my Roth IRA account, thinking that TSLA had to pop soon. Well, it didn't, as the longer term members here can attest. It's hard to get off the roller coaster once you are on it. I lost about 75% of my Roth. In fact, it's only now that it is roughly back where I started, even with all this runup. If I'd left it all in TSLA stock I'd be up about 10x.

Again, thank you for making me think more about this.
Nice to know even the beat make mistakes.

Curious - what trading platform is that coming from?

Flowalgo. I’m on the 2 week trial for 37$. I believe their regular monthly subscription is around 100$ per month but seems like they have the best platform for unusual trading activity.

I don’t think it’s worth it for me but probably very useful if you are a day trader or swing trader.

After-action Report: Tue, Sep 15, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Outperforms S&P500 13.8:1"

Traded: $43,367,313,824.66 ($43.37B)
Volume: 97,335,440
VWAP: $445.54

Close: $449.76 / VWAP: 100.97%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $419.09B / $185.947B = 225.38%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $382.69B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $213.96B
Nota Bene: 3rd tranche of CEO comp. unlocked as of Fri, Sep 04, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 57.7% (58th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 38.5% (44th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.72% of Short Volume (46th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-09-15.png

Comment: "And that's a fine fou-fiddy"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Anyone else notice that "Sales" is on that team of defenders attempting to stop Elon "posting fire content".

It was already highly likely, but this screams some new cars of some type arriving on battery day - something that if announced now would harm end of quarter "sales" push of existing inventory.

She said, ‘This year.’

Go Mom!!!

Jim Keller.

He was with Apple for 4 years... Only at Tesla for 2 and he left Tesla a while ago-early 2018- he doesn't tend to stay super long at companies.

Jim Keller.

There is a very good interview on YouTube that Lex Fridman did with him about his work at Tesla. It has some good insights into Elon's way of working too.

Here's an admission: a couple of years ago I did pretty much this, got way aggressive in my Roth IRA account, thinking that TSLA had to pop soon. Well, it didn't, as the longer term members here can attest. It's hard to get off the roller coaster once you are on it. I lost about 75% of my Roth. In fact, it's only now that it is roughly back where I started, even with all this runup. If I'd left it all in TSLA stock I'd be up about 10x.

Again, thank you for making me think more about this.

Just to over-emphasize, when you buy options you have to not only get the direction of the stock movement right, you have to have enough magnitude in that direction - but the hardest thing by far is that you only have limited time to get those other two right.

Calls expire, but you can just sit on your stock for years as the company executes and wait as long as it takes for Mr. Market to recognize what were smart enough to recognize years earlier.

She said, ‘This year.’

Your lucky
My mom doesn’t even know what a stock is