Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone was afraid the overall sentiment towards Tesla is too positive, read the comment section:

Tesla Energy to become $200B revenue business, Piper analyst predicts (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

We are back in "good 'ole SA" bear territory"..

I have been thinking of my stock-exit strategy (Doing the menitoned "the wheel" beginning with selling calls at $2000, pocketing the premiums) to secure an early retirement..

..but after reading all these comments I think this is way premature, people still don't get Tesla. I feel a HUGE surprise coming for a lot of people regarding Teslas future, which is brighter than bright imho.

Last edited:
I love selling options for some extra money but 10k a week on 200k (or 5% ROC) tells me you are much more comfortable w/ lower strikes on CCs than I am. For example, let's say you own 500 shares and sold calls for next week, then you'd need to sell 5x 9/25 $505 calls (which closed at $19.70 today). Giving up the gains over ~525/share next Friday seems like a risky bet to me, but to each their own. When I do CCs I tend to go way out of the money and up to two weeks out.

Well you obviously have BD next week, which is a potential catalyst a strong price movement up, or could push if down (as we have seen in the past with positive news). So you place your bets accordingly.

For my core shares, I wouldn't risk $505 strike next week, but I've been writing some calls at $700 the last days.

For my trading shares (I don't have many), I'm waiting until Monday and will then write one call for Friday, $510 I'm thinking. I don't mind at all if this is exercised.

Well you obviously have BD next week, which is a potential catalyst a strong price movement up, or could push if down (as we have seen in the past with positive news). So you place your bets accordingly.

For my core shares, I wouldn't risk $505 strike next week, but I've been writing some calls at $700 the last days.

For my trading shares (I don't have many), I'm waiting until Monday and will then write one call for Friday, $510 I'm thinking. I don't mind at all if this is exercised.
Abt to write some covered calls myself on Monday

I'm going to the shareholder meeting and battery day

I wanted to hit "Like" on your YouTube video, but I couldn't mess up the number.

69 likes.jpg

i have been selling weekly calls , a decent amount out of the money because i prefer to keep the shares :)

I decided against selling them coming week , if the battery day news is mind blowing i am not trusting the MM on holding max pain... Then there is sell the news ofcourse, so i'll probably miss out :rolleyes:

I have the impression that that pace of supercharger V3 construction has increased greatly since Juli, I count 17 new SUC locations open, and a lot in the permit/construction phase.
Unfortunately the one I needed most on my recent holiday was still in construction, probably opening in November according to a guy doing prep work on the SUC in Perigueux.
I was stupid enough to decline the offer of our B&B host to charge via a regular 240V outlet, figuring it would be less hassle to stop by a nearby public fastcharger a couple of times. So I had to experience what non-Tesla EV drivers had to go through. I tried to charge 4 times on the same 50kW fast charger:
- first time using a chargemap card. I had to try probably 10 times to get the charger through the authentication step, but ultimately was able to charge at a lousy 33kW (the first time I used my CCS2 adapter on my Model S so at least I was happy this worked).
- second time, I decided to use the app from the provider itself, which allowed anybody with a smartphone and a credit card to charge without subscription. I also used my Chademo adapter figuring that would be closer to the 50kW charger limit. I could start the charge after only 2 tries, but the charge rate was even less, 28kW. Unfortunately the charge aborted and restarted for unknown reasons, so I gave up after a couple of tries with only half a charge.
- third time, I used CCS again hoping for more stability. Unfortunately after a quarter of a charge the charge aborted completely, without restarting. I gave up, figuring that the charger was overheating, and it was at the hottest part of the day, over 30degrees Celsius, which is pretty normal for that region.
- the fourth time, I charged as early as possible in the morning with cold outside temperature. This was actually the first time I could properly read the instructions on the screen of the charger (so most of the day the screen was unreadable due to the bright sun shining directly on the screen). This time I could charge normally a,d completed a full charge at 33kW.
In conclusion, I’m not selling my Tesla shares anytime soon. I can now believe the people who claim that you can’t go on holiday with an EV (except if it is a Tesla).
Our host was considering installing a Tesla destination charger, but I have the impression that the last 2 years not a lot of destination chargers were added in Europe. Has this programme stopped?
Oh, I also stopped by a hotel-restaurant with a destination charger. We wanted to charge while drinking a coffee, but the polite but unfriendly receptionist declined our charging request stating that it was only for hotel guests. With all three chargers free, close to zero hotel guests, and without even giving the option to pay for the charge, I found that very rude.

Oh, I also stopped by a hotel-restaurant with a destination charger. We wanted to charge while drinking a coffee, but the polite but unfriendly receptionist declined our charging request stating that it was only for hotel guests. With all three chargers free, close to zero hotel guests, and without even giving the option to pay for the charge, I found that very rude.

That is really bad form indeed! I've never been refused using a Destination Charger, even though I wasn't a guest.

I also tried some public charging in south France when I was down there - with the Chargemap card - couldn't get it to authenticate at all, so gave up. We just charged at the gite, I took my 25m extension cable with me and dialled it down to 6A - there was so much variability in the current that it was cutting out every 15 minutes, took a few days, but worked.

Our host was considering installing a Tesla destination charger, but I have the impression that the last 2 years not a lot of destination chargers were added in Europe. Has this programme stopped?
My understanding in the UK at least is that Tesla are only considering destination chargers for sites where multiple units will be installed, so if it's a small hotel which would only want 1 or 2 they aren't going to get them for the time being. There's been a big push in the UK recently to get new Supercharging sites commissioned too. Tesla are also cooperating with other charging networks and charger manufacturers here so a site which might have room for say 20 stalls, could end up with 15 Superchargers and 5 Ecotricity 50kW chargers for instance. In other words a win-win for all EV owners.

Tesla Tells Us How It Keeps Beating Nearly Everyone in Range Game

"
While the first Supercharger added roughly 70 miles of range to a Model S in 15 minutes, the current Model S gains 160 miles in the same time period. Unsurprisingly, Tesla told Car and Driver that the next Model S will support even quicker charging. The company's current Supercharger V3 supports a peak rate of 250 kW, which is supported by the Model S, Model X, and certain variants of the Model 3. So expect quicker charging coming from either a V4 Supercharger or an update to V3. Expect, too, a supported charge rate above 250 kW coming from the Model S and eventually other models in the Tesla lineup."

Great article. In addition to what you mentioned, it really drives home Tesla’s vertical integration advantage. On top of subsuming supplier profits, it greatly speeds up the feedback loop on improvements.

If anyone was afraid the overall sentiment towards Tesla is too positive, read the comment section:

Tesla Energy to become $200B revenue business, Piper analyst predicts (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

We are back in "good 'ole SA" bear territory"..

I have been thinking of my stock-exit strategy (Doing the menitoned "the wheel" beginning with selling calls at $2000, pocketing the premiums) to secure an early retirement..

..but after reading all these comments I think this is way premature, people still don't get Tesla. I feel a HUGE surprise coming for a lot of people regarding Teslas future, which is brighter than bright imho.
I agree! My friends still keep talking about competition. They don’t have a clue that competition can not catch up. They don’t have a clue that other OEMs are in big trouble if they don’t make the transition soon. They don’t have a clue about Tesla energy or FSD. There is still a lot of value left in TSLA. This is why I hold strong and long.

WSJ: The Incredible Shrinking GM: Mary Barra Bets That Smaller Is Better

Article describes (in part) how Barra is making a bet in electric cars. Best part are the comments [clarification-- from WSJ readers, not Barra]:
  • "Batteries need to be at least twice as powerful than they are now."
  • "There are no charging stations in a forest, or a desert. And I cannot use it for long journeys when I have to stop to charge for 8 hours before proceeding."
  • "I have nothing against EVs, but journos should not forget that there is a world outside of NYC/Chicago/LA/San Fran where the sight of an EV is extremely rare."
  • "Electric cars aren’t going to make huge waves for decades. The simple fact is that customers don’t have much interest in them. Battery technology is just not here yet, you can’t make a cross country trip in an EV."
  • "Charging needs to be build into roads. A fee could be taken as you drive over the charging grids. This could mean no stopping at all for fuel."
  • "It will be decades before electric vehicles can take over the market. They are not affordable for a family making less than $65,000 per year which is more than half the country. Furthermore, since these vehicles are mostly "refueled" at home, one needs a garage, or at a minimum, off street parking, to own one these things."
  • "From what I've read the bigger issue is the batteries and the amount of energy it takes to build the batteries."

Thanks for posting that; as you say the comments are the most illuminating part. And from the paywalled WSJ, no less, so it’s not your usual trolls on Engadget or something.

EV awareness still has a long way to go to get full penetration through the general populace — sometimes you forget that in our little bubble here. I think hybrids and especially PIHs have muddied the waters and most people truly don’t understand what a BEV is.

We are still a couple of standard deviations from the hump of the adoption Bell curve...tip of the iceberg.

My understanding in the UK at least is that Tesla are only considering destination chargers for sites where multiple units will be installed, so if it's a small hotel which would only want 1 or 2 they aren't going to get them for the time being. There's been a big push in the UK recently to get new Supercharging sites commissioned too. Tesla are also cooperating with other charging networks and charger manufacturers here so a site which might have room for say 20 stalls, could end up with 15 Superchargers and 5 Ecotricity 50kW chargers for instance. In other words a win-win for all EV owners.
I'm curious to read more about the collaboration - do you have any articles or example sites of mixed charger providers?

Reactions: UkNorthampton