Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grand Total (POTENTIAL, not currently realized):
- 54% range increase
- 56% less $/kWh (pack level)
- 69% less CAPEX per GWh (cell level)
- start seeing benefits in 12-18 months
- full potential probably achieved in about 3 years
Note that BNEF has been tracking for the reduction in pack level cost since 2010. Consistently, the annual reduction is close to 20%. If Tesla realizes this 56% cost reduction in 3 years, this implies a 24% annual reduction rate, much faster than the industry average. OTOH, if Tesla achieves this in 3.7 years it would be on par with a 20% annual decline.

The critical point that Tesla makes is that the industry needs to keep driving costs down at a fast clip. So Tesla is prepared to do its part.

Note also that since Tesla is integrating the battery into structural elements of the vehicle, it has virtually eliminated the pack propers portion of total pack cost. (Negative pack cost!) Thus, for Tesla going forward cell cost is as good as pack cost.

To catch up, vehicle OEMs must also work on eliminating the pack proper cost. This is weight and cost that serves no competitive purpose. Cell makers cannot do this for OEMs. The OEMs must do their own structural integration. This also dooms any attempt at a vehicle platform that can option ICE or hydrogen drivetrains.

On the million mile battery, my impression is the big limit on this is the cracking that takes place in parts of the battery. What I saw that addressed this was some part of the battery being layed out in an elastic adhesive. Shouldn't that help the cracking?
Yeah, I was waiting for them to talk about using single crystals in the cathode, but they didn't....

Yesterday's battery day presentation just gave me further conviction to put all my eggs in one basket. Sold off my remaining holdings and now i am 100% in $TSLA with my purchase this morning....my time frame is till 2030 and i have made out nicely already up till now. But.....Elon and co. just signaled the death of ICE yesterday and i am 100% convinced $TSLA will be the world's most valuable company in 2030, maybe even sooner :)

Elon said that the "yield was low", which implies to me that they're making cells, just not so many.

I think Elon used the term ‘yield’ as used in the semiconductor industry: making a lot of them, but only a small number pass QA and are usable.
So you typically start out with low yield (lot’s of defective/out-of-spec output), figure out what mechanism is responsible for the low yield, figure out a solution for that, and start production again. Repeat until the percentage of acceptable output is high enough. Note that the 50% improvement they mention will be under the assumption of high enough yields. For the moment, they only need to produce enough cells to have statistically enough evidence to detect low yield issues, since producing more will only create more waste.

cnbc

raj gill (needham’s version of ‘gordon johnson‘) and tesla permabear

- competition also using nickel, so no advantage there battery wise
- take musk promises with grain of salt (regarding 25k autonomous car in 3years)
- blah blah same old blatant lies and hollow arguments (that are factually incorrect should anyone actually research instead of taking these windbags’ words on anything)

DBank dude, with upgraded $500 price target , emmanuel rosner, countered him on basically every argument - but beware DB/GS and the likes anyway. they have a lot to make up for in order to prove theyre anything more than opportunistic at best

has anyone found any MS media analysis that ‘gets’ even 20% of what was revealed yesterday?!?!?!?!?

cnbc

raj gill (needham’s version of ‘gordon johnson‘) and tesla permabear

- competition also using nickel, so no advantage there battery wise
- take musk promises with grain of salt (regarding 25k autonomous car in 3years)
- blah blah same old blatant lies and hollow arguments (that are factually incorrect should anyone actually research instead of taking these windbags’ words on anything)

DBank dude, with upgraded $500 price target , emmanuel rosner, countered him on basically every argument - but beware DB/GS and the likes anyway. they have a lot to make up for in order to prove theyre anything more than opportunistic at best

has anyone found any MS media analysis that ‘gets’ even 20% of what was revealed yesterday?!?!?!?!?
Lol also using nickel is an argument? Was he expecting Tesla to use something not part of the periodic table?

Yesterday's battery day presentation just gave me further conviction to put all my eggs in one basket. Sold off my remaining holdings and now i am 100% in $TSLA with my purchase this morning....my time frame is till 2030 and i have made out nicely already up till now. But.....Elon and co. just signaled the death of ICE yesterday and i am 100% convinced $TSLA will be the world's most valuable company in 2030, maybe even sooner :)

Been thinking the same, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. But If there is a further dip into low 300's (which it likely won't), I will go all in.

outlook:

LT: obv fine
ST: is anyone other than me thinking that it’s inevitable that the market is going to juke us downward with election FUD, whether warranted or not. it’s what market does.

i am thinking that it will happen. when, dunno. soon?

if so, this will obv impact tsla.
and we have factors coming up, P&D, earnings that many take a wager on.

but with the underlying stuff going on it’s not the same playing field as normal circumstances.

then again, could also melt up, taking tsla with it.

any thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: shootformoon
Been thinking the same, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. But If there is a further dip into low 300's (which it likely won't), I will go all in.
I have been contemplating back and forth for a while now...slowly selling off AMZN, MSFT, etc. I always go back to this quote by Elon:
upload_2020-9-23_7-26-18.png

If there is one person i trust going bankrupt and coming back even stronger after...it's Elon.

Tonight was sort of what I expected but with more detail and more advances then I expected. There are no SCI-FI Advances that can’t be made. Just a bunch of incremental advances, all possible, that add up into huge improvement over current tech. This clearly shows how the semi and cybertruck can be built in volume and profitability. And how we can get to Insane numbers of vehicle’s by 2025. This is bullish AF and justifies a stock value of minimally $600 by 2025 with a low p/e and ZERO value for FSD. FSD triples that.
Totally agree. I also think this illustrates the value of Tesla attempting to build the Semi. I believr the effort has pushed them to explore every possible advancement to make a Semi truly competitive.

If Tesla starts work on aircraft batteries, this will also motivate them to explore new approaches. We now see that a key element of Musk's thinking is to integrate batteries structurally. They are obviously imagining where you'd integrate cells in an airplane. This yeilds profound insights into optimizing a car, truck or semi.