Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This trend of being given 2 days to invest AFTER each big Tesla announcement is really wild. I was worried SP would pop overnight, do I made half my call purchase yesterday, but here we are......free time to digest and plan. Low IV to boot!

If this one works out like 1Q20 did and SP slowly churns much higher from here, we HAVE TO remember to not get overly excited before the next "big thing". Amazing that I hardly ever listen to myself!

Craig Johnson is a managing director and technical strategist at Piper Sandler (formerly Piper Jaffray). He was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show, and still sends me his newsletters. In early 2003 he recommended TSLA, which led to my first purchase at $38 ($7.60 post-split).

Craig’s colleague Alexander Potter has a BUY rating on TSLA with a price target of $515.

Below is what Craig wrote this morning:

TSLA—Major trend remains higher; recent pullback has confirmed support off an emerging uptrend/rising 10-week WMA; consistent RS outperformer and notable TechniGrade ranking; add to positions, the next level of resistance comes into play near $500.

I wonder what Lucid is going to announce on the 24th? They are probably at the track right now trying to beat Tesla's time lol
I can't help thinking about the advantages of having a pack closer to center of the car on a track. Rotation of the vehicle would take less tread off the tires so a corner recovery or setup might be advantageous, IDK. Any race car drivers out there? How much of the time is attributed to pure juice vs vehicle weight distribution. Obviously a lighter pack would help but the concept of batteries in the center vs across the skateboard is fascinating!

Lol, all those TSLA competitors showing off their skateboard designs, and now a big skateboard is a bad thing. They cannot win.

so VW will "push out" 4 million EVs the next few years -- is that in the same sense as Nikola "pushed" their truck up the hill to roll it down ? So far thats exactly what we saw from ID3's sitting in the tent waiting for software so they can drive...
I actually saw an ID3 on the highway today (in Belgium). Probably a dealer car, because without the big ID3 ads on it I wouldn’t have paid any attention. So they’re not vaporware anymore.

As a long-term investor, I am thoroughly pleased with Battery Day. I've been accumulating shares for the last seven years on the basis of where Tesla has been headed by about 2025. My question at this point is, why should I keep accumulating yet more shares for the next seven years? Battery Days sets out a critical plan for cutting battery cost 56% and capex investment for capacity by 69% over the next 3 to 4 years. The long-term view of 20M vehicles and 3TWh by 2030 is modest and doable. Both the 3-year and 10-year view gives me motivation to keep accumulating for the next year or two. It does not give me full justification for continuing to accumulate for seven years, but it lays a solid foundation.

Many short-term minded investors will be disappointed. They were looking for a quick uptick in share price. And I couldn't be happier that they are disappointed. In my view, they are foolishly trading the long-term opportunity to invest Tesla for a quick buck. They also thoroughly fail to understand why and how long-term investors like me accumulate over many years. Those who truly value the long-term opportunity with Tesla are actually delighted to see the price fall after an event like Battery Day. What a wonderful opportunity to accumulate!