Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not able to upload image to my previous post so here it is for those people who scan through without clicking:

View attachment 591326
https://twitter.com/YingShirleyMen1/status/1126781819074965504?s=20

There are so many positive ways that Tesla is transforming the world both seen and unseen. It makes me proud to be an investor.
The most important thing here is how neat and legible this kid's handwriting is......Gosh...Tesla affects people in so many ways :D:D:D:D

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
I just went to my Toyota dealer to I pick up my old Prius after it’s maintenance. As I walked out the door, I remembered that I forgot the keys, so I went back to the reception to fetch my keys. The girl at the reception responded with: ‘They should make cars where you can use your phone as a key, then this wouldn’t happen’. I could barely resist explaining that I already have such a car.
The old car industry has no clue what is going to hit them.

I thought selling to cut down on margin (only 5% of my shares) would give me peace of mind. In fact, I lost more sleep last night than the night before. I'm typing this while holding back tears. Battery Day was beautiful. A clear path to 30% gross margin in 2 years. Think about it: if our margin was 30% instead of 25% this year, earning would be up by $1.8-2B, a 4 time increase. I'll sell when my broker ask me to sell. I've done a lot of things and the only thing that has consistently done right by me is buying and holding shares.

I don't have much time this morning to go into detail but to me it was pretty clear that they can make the larger cells now. The tabless format is working. SOME of the other bits might be working too. There is no reason they can not use the existing chemistry and make the tabless larger cell with the (was is 16%) range increase and the new Y design. All that is required for the two piece stamp and battery frame is the tabless cells. That is something they can do now with any chemistry. If I had the time I would pull out the video bits where they stressed which bits were not ready. If they tell people now the tabless will be ready in months people will stop ordering all cars until they know for sure which ones are getting it.
I'd assume they'd need to nail the dry battery electrode before rolling out in larger scale too - the alternative would be wasted capex for drying ovens and air handling, or low yields - but the anode and cathode chemistry can likely be tweaked along the way.

I don't know why I'm surprised at this down day, given the insanely low valuation for so many years, when this disruption was clearly coming. But I felt like our '$Trillion+' valuation was our little secret before, yesterday Tesla straight up announced a solid plan towards 3 TWh a year of batteries. It's just so massive, and not just our little prediction, it's their actual announcement. TSLA should be at $700, not $386. Just bananas. Free money for us I guess? It's wild.

CNBS rolling out the bears today... And the one positive video they have (from Deutsche), they put behind their "Pro" subscriptions service.

W*nkers..

CNBC is just doing what their advertisers, like the auto companies, are telling them to do. Give up on it already. Don't trust direct advertiser paid "news" services. That's why many bloggers are actually better news sources. They aren't being paid by Tesla's competitors.

I assume there will be a Plaid event...and at this event we will probably get real, hashed-out specs instead of 520+ mi and 250kW+. This event will be around mid-2021...That's really only about 9 months away. Not that long in the grand scheme of things.

Plaid requires the new batteries. So by the time Plaid comes around, battery tech will be in horizontal scaling mode (Austin, Berlin, Shanghai)
25K car will be opened for reservations ... like 1M reservations in few weeks :)

I'm far from a pro race car driver/engineer, but I have hundreds of track hours and have been pretty deep in the weeds on reading about handling dynamics, so I'll take a brief shot:

The biggest advantages to having a lower, more centralized center of gravity are a lower polar moment of inertia= how quickly a vehicle will change directions, and less weight transfer= all four contact patches of the vehicle doing more work, whether it is in accelerating, braking, or cornering. Where the weight is matters, too, as low and centered means it has less overall impact on these things. Lighter is always better, as any Colin Chapman fan of Lotus fame would attest!

Away from the track, and trying to be a bit more on topic, its impact on future vehicles can mean that Teslas will handle better without an overly high spring rate, which means a more comfortable ride. I.E.= they'll have better "real world" handling that more drivers will tolerate than those of us who sling around cones in parking lots or the smoothness of most road race courses! Probably the biggest benefit though is if you can reduce weight without decreasing energy storage it means you get essentially "free" longer range. Consumables such as tires and brake pads (hardly a concern in a Tesla already) will also go down making a small benefit to overall maintenance costs.

From an investor perspective, it means Teslas packs will make the car more desirable while also decreasing their manufacturing costs, and it hardly gets better than that!

Former SCCA club racer here. The two ways to reduce weight transfer in corners is by lowering the center of gravity and by increasing track width. The Plaid is doing both. The lower c.g. also reduces weight transfer under braking.