Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we're all pretty bullish on here, as we obviously want to profit,
But I'm interested to know if anyone thinks there is a real chance that we could see any significant drop in the SP this year and I'm talking like sub-300 or worse?
Do you think it's even possible now with Tesla on it's current trajectory and proving making profits etc, or could it still be a possibility (assuming no actual disasters as such). I'm very new to investing so am humbly calling upon you collective vast experience!
Thanks in advance

But I'm interested to know if anyone thinks there is a real chance that we could see any significant drop in the SP this year and I'm talking like sub-300 or worse?
Do you think it's even possible now with Tesla on it's current trajectory and proving making profits etc, or could it still be a possibility (assuming no actual disasters as such). I'm very new to investing so am humbly calling upon you collective vast experience!
Thanks in advance
It is always possible and especially so with the macro environment providing headwinds.

We have had an amazing run in a short period of time. That said, yesterday's Battery Day showed a path to Tesla being a trillion dollar company so a buy now or later should be profitable.

What has to be said is that as an engineer, Musk likes to talk shop and is driven to squeeze efficiency in everything he builds. For the first time ever, a CEO is willing to come out a shine the light on manufacturing and it makes all the tonka toys boys in us glee with enthusiasm. But this doesn't mean others aren't working on similar solutions, in battery tech or manufacturing. They just aren't talking about it, yet.
Furthermore, Porsche builds great engines. So does BMW and Mercedes and everyone else. Soon all cars will be EVs, Tesla or at least a dozen other manufacturers. It would be a mistake to focus so much on the power unit, because soon enough all cars will output around the same, except for the Plaid crowd looking for sub 2 seconds to the next stop light. Value add will have to come from something else.

So you think competition is coming. Thank you for the warning, but Spiegel and Chanos beat you to it.

Thanks in advance

No one knows. no one. and anyone that claims they know is spitting BS.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF FUD - ANTI TESLA LIES - Post Battery Day Sep 2020

For the (historical) record - since I have taken the trouble to listen and answer a well meaning friend who's been relatively successful over the past decades, here's another example of FUD from an established normally very good financial commentator, EXCEPT that like 99.5% of all commentators, especially established, normally well informed ones, he cannot see what he's not trained/ used to seeing (Warren Buffet style grand evaluations of ... Coca Cola, etc, or financial maneuvers like his Goldman Sachs deal bla bla).

This is what I answered to my friend

(Note: I have long ago stopped trying to explain the Tesla phenom to my educated friends, the more financially established/ savyy the more deaf they are - I made an exception for some as they are really good friends, and as a good way to gauge what's going on - funniest part is that he finally bought shares for his wife's IRA because she pestered him repeatedly after listening in on our conversations -she isn't financially savvy)

WHAT THE MASS MEDIA DOESN'T WANT TO TELL /SEE IS THAT TESLA HAS SHOWN ITS HAND, IT IS BECOMING A HUGE, TECH INDUSTRIAL COMPANY - POISED TO BE THE BIGGEST US /WORLD COMPANY EVER.

I listened to the video for you as a personal favor (CLK350: see the email he sent me at the bottom of this post)

Although I knew what would happen: LIES .. and FUD as usual, same negative/ biased coverage on Yahoo / Forbes / CNBC /ABC etc

Direct link to the video link on Vimeo you sent me (I try and avoid all the tracking cookies):

I don't think Navellier bothered to view the Tesla presentation himself - or he's part of the oil & gas anti Tesla cabal - for the record, since I did listen in:

Why Tesla Stock Price is going down after Battery Day according to Navellier

2:04 "Tesla is losing market share in Europe big time" ... NOT at all it's the opposite, and Tesla cannot even meet the demand
Tesla Model 3 Reaches #1 In Europe As Europe Reaches 10% EV Market Share — March 2020
there are other updates all over the place too

2:08 "Tesla can't get the batteries they need" This is DECEPTIVELY negatively worded: they cannot get ENOUGH batteries, they need MORE batteries, this is their bottleneck - this is why they source batteries from LG and CATL in addition to their joint venture with Panasonic !!!

" they think they have to make their own"

YES, because they realized that at the current pace the battery producers are growing, they aren't going to produce fast enough at all ! AND IN TYPICAL ELON MUSK fashion, he and his engineers revisited the whole stack, and discovered huge inefficiencies, still extent because that's the way it's always been done. This applies to the anode material, the cell structure and design (no tabs), the cathode, the car body manufacture, the battery enclosure (in-frame like airplane wings now are really fuel tanks shaped as wings), factory automation etc

So not only did they study the problem, they came up with technological breakthrough in design, fabrication, chemistry .. AMAZING what they did. For example Lithium compounds are mined/ extracted in Australia, shipped to China for processing, then to Japan, and then to Panasonic in Nevada then Fremont. Instead Tesla figured a way to just gather Lithium in raw form from a piece of land in the US, which can be processed directly in Fremont.

3:10 " their new battery is hotter" ??? NOT - complete dis information/ lie - it runs COOLER than with previous designs, this is the huge innovation of tab less 4680 cells - it is true that larger cells normally run hotter, but that's with the current designs, this is why Tesla came up with that tab less design.

Here's the email my friend sent me (edited for privacy reasons) - this newsletter is publicly available, it is not part of a paid subscription
============================================================================================

To: xxxxxxxxxx @ fastmail.fm
Subject: Louis Navellier Market Commentary Wednesday September 23
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 4:35 PM

Please click or tap on the image below to play

(clk350: DO NOT CLICK THERE INSTEAD CLICK AT THIS DIRECT LINK:
)

Louis Navellier’s commentary
Or listen here on Vimeo.
upload_2020-9-24_6-14-53.png

Louis Navellier
Chief Investment Officer,
Navellier & Associates
Navellier & Associates does not hold Tesla, Volkswagen, GM, Ford, Autozone, Nike, General Mills, Tyson Foods or Nikola in managed accounts but we do hold Apple and Nvidia in managed accounts. Louis Navellier & his family do not own Tesla, Volkswagen, GM, Ford, Autozone, Nike, General Mills, Tyson Foods or Nikola in personal account but they do own Apple personally and Nvidia via a Navellier Managed account.
If the page link does not load immediately, please refresh and try again after a few minutes.
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES

This communication has been provided to you for informational purposes only and may not be relied upon by you in evaluating the merits of investing in any Navellier investment strategy or composites. The net performance results portrayed include the reinvestment of all dividends and other earnings. Past performance is not indicative of future results, and there can be no guarantee as to the accuracy of market forecasts. Opinions, estimates, and forecasts may be changed without notice. ... Bla bla bla

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-24_6-14-9.png
    upload_2020-9-24_6-14-9.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 80
Thanks in advance

I'd love to say "of course not" and "great Q3 P&D + Earnings coming", but as we've seen in the past, the stock movements don't always correlate with good news or even reality in general.

Plus we have the uncertainty of the US election coming up and although at this stage the polls are decisively projecting a Biden win, which would of course pave the way for a much better political environment for Tesla, a DEM victory is perceived as a negative overall for the markets, I guess because of potentially more taxation, but also the possibility of more regulation - less cheating from the slime balls on Wall Street.

Underneath it all, we have the S&Pectre of inclusion - if Tesla post robust profits for Q3, then the SPY guys start to look more and more out-of-touch and their index with it, so this could bring in the speculators again, but now without any implied time-frame for an inclusion announcement, if any, so I'd expect to see less volatility from that crowd, but now would be the logical moment to load up a bit on that.

And finally we have the institutions ruminating on Battery Day. It's beyond my imagination why large investors aren't champing at the bit to pile into $TSLA. Has any other company ever laid out their technology and the plan to scale it, with such clarity, to lead to such market domination? Maybe they're just waiting for the bottom to start buying, seems like a golden opportunity to me.

TL;DR - I have no idea :)

Last edited:
Well, VW is onboard with several vehicles after several years developing their platform. It's not as good as Tesla's but suggesting no one is working on solutions is really short-sighted.

VW cant even get the software in their own cars to work, or update. I'll believe VW is not a technological joke when they stop having to send people from car to car with a usb cable to update their broken software. You think anybody at VW has time to think about the best way to refine lithium? Anybody with any ethics left due to dieselgate. Anybody ambitious left to get share options at tesla. Who is left at VW? they ICE-expert dinosaurs and people wanting to keep their head down and get a paycheck for clocking-in each day.
Not a threat to anyone but their own shareholders.

Thanks in advance

Anything is possible, it's the market. I wouldn't count on it though. But hey, you never know :)
But I'm pretty sure that 10 years from now, stock price will be higher than currently :)

Thanks in advance
If that’s your concern- then buy a little at a time.
If SP takes a big hit - back up the truck
Keep some dry powder to take advantage of such situations

What has to be said is that as an engineer, Musk likes to talk shop and is driven to squeeze efficiency in everything he builds. For the first time ever, a CEO is willing to come out a shine the light on manufacturing and it makes all the tonka toys boys in us glee with enthusiasm. But this doesn't mean others aren't working on similar solutions, in battery tech or manufacturing. They just aren't talking about it, yet.
Furthermore, Porsche builds great engines. So does BMW and Mercedes and everyone else. Soon all cars will be EVs, Tesla or at least a dozen other manufacturers. It would be a mistake to focus so much on the power unit, because soon enough all cars will output around the same, except for the Plaid crowd looking for sub 2 seconds to the next stop light. Value add will have to come from something else.
Ok Bob.

Good morning! I see Tesla shares on sale today at around $365 a pop. That's a discount of 27% from the end of August high, and although I already have more than my target core holding, I can't resist a bargain. Order going in for another 20 :)

Me too. I have to admit that I peed a few shares between Elon’s first and second “serious high volume in 22” tweets.

Bought them back at 7am today + 15 free shares for my trouble.

My 5 cents:
I've been an investor in Tesla for years and it worked out quite nicely. Always spoke to friends and family about the company but never recommended them to buy stock, just because I didn't want them to get pissed if the stock goes down in the short term.

After Battery Day, I am planning to prepare a presentation for my brother, father and mother and try to explain to them why they should invest. I don't care anymore about them getting pissed at me if the stock goes down in the short term. I am 100% convinced that Tesla will produce 3M cars in 2025 and be the largest carmaker in the world by 2030. Add autonomy, stationary storage, HVAC systems and other unannounced things and it's game over. I have always been optimistic about the future of Tesla, Battery Day removed any doubts that I had.

My 5 cents:
I've been an investor in Tesla for years and it worked out quite nicely. Always spoke to friends and family about the company but never recommended them to buy stock, just because I didn't want them to get pissed if the stock goes down in the short term.

After Battery Day, I am planning to prepare a presentation for my brother, father and mother and try to explain to them why they should invest. I don't care anymore about them getting pissed at me if the stock goes down in the short term. I am 100% convinced that Tesla will produce 3M cars in 2025 and be the largest carmaker in the world by 2030. Add autonomy, stationary storage, HVAC systems and other unannounced things and it's game over. I have always been optimistic about the future of Tesla, Battery Day removed any doubts that I had.

I wouldn't give anyone investment advice who would be pissed at me if the investment goes down. Especially family.

If anything other car manufacturers are talking a lot trying their hardest to osbourne Tesla. Pretty much every one of them gave an estimated range and price 3-4 years prior to delivery and everyone of them has fallen short of those projections by miles.

Still waiting on this 300+ mile range porsche that cost the same as a model S.....

I think the issue is primarily committing to scale. The Chinese are certainly committing to appropriate scale. I'm not sure if companies like Mercedes and BMW have the capability to play at the size needed to be successful.

Some skepticism of Musk's battery manufacturing plans is appropriate. Fremont as a car assembly and painting factory is far from state of the art. A tent isn't going to work as a plan B for battery manufacturing problems.