Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tri-motor Plaid powertrain has existed since at least the Roadster reveal, which was Nov 2017 (almost 3 yrs ago). Roadrunner batteries almost certainly did not exist yet back then.

The Plaid prototype demonstrated at the Nürburgring in Sep 2019 was limited to 500 kW motor power. Since we now know the current Plaid prototype has 820 kW (1,100 hp), the 2019 prototype Plaid S more likely had power limitations from the old battery pack, the 18650 100 kWh pack.

We also know that the Summer 2019 Plaid S spotted at the Nürburgring was a returned Customer car repurposed for the development exercise. So less and less likely to have the cast aluminum structural bty tray that was highlighted at bty day. IMHO, this is the primary reason for the delay.

Last year, Elon tweeted that 'Plaid was getting too complicated' and they would go with a simplified version for production in Fall 2020. That will not happen. The new tech must be too good to ignore, too much of a step change not to have it for Plaid. Finally, with Lucid coming too market eventually, Tesla needed to step up with a tad more 'oomph' for Plaid.

Imma say 1.9 sec 0-60 mph, 8.9 sec qtr mi, and 200+ mph top speed gets that done. Ooh, did I mention 520 miles rge? Or 7 seats? ;)

Cheers!
Slight correction: not 520 miles range, but 520+ miles range if I am remembering correctly. Elon is not showing all his cards yet and just reporting enough to retake the crown. Having a ‘Halo’ product is important for image, even if not produced in large quantities. I’m guessing if all his improvements come to fruition, range will be closer to 600 miles. Will give model S volume a kick in the pants. Heck, even I have pre-ordered one.

OK, I had to figure this math out and turns out to be easy using hexagon math.

Here is a diagram of a hexagon, notice small radius r and big radius R.

330px-Regular_hexagon_1.svg.png

And here is my battery diagram:

teslabatdim.jpg

So the radius of the large enclosing circle is equal to R+r of a hexagon (the large and small diameters of a hexagon).

We know small r=21/2=10.5
So R is r/(sqrt(3)/2)=12.124...

So radius of the outer circle is 22.624.. and diameter is then about 45.248.

Attachments

• 330px-Regular_hexagon_1.svg.png
    330px-Regular_hexagon_1.svg.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Re Frames and Repairs.

Insurance adjusters approve repairs to pull bent frames all the time, including cut and welds.

Because a frame is bent in a traditional car doesn't mean it is automatically totaled.

I have no clue what Tesla will recommend in the future. Currently Tesla recommends specific frame machines and specific repair practices. Body shops have said it requires a $200k investment to become a Tesla certified body shop. That includes tooling and tech training. That is why there is so few certified Tesla repair body shops relative to the total number.

Last time I checked ~three years ago there were 3 certified Tesla shops in greater Los Angeles.

[EXCLUSIVE] Tesla looking to acquire stake in LG

Tesla is looking to acquire a stake in LG Energy Solution, soon to be separated by LG Chem, to procure a stable supply of batteries, bank sector sources told The Korea Times, Monday.

"Tesla is looking to acquire a stake in LG Energy Solution. Specifically, Tesla is said to be exploring taking up to a 10 percent stake in LG Energy Solution," one source said on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorized to officially speak to the media.

There were three questions I missed getting answered on battery day:

• Are all of the technologies presented on the "roadmap" already in the current roadrunner plant and they're "just" working on yield and ramp? Or is the current pilot line "only" new cell size, tabless & DBE with common NMC-chemistry shiped in, and the rest will get added over time?
  • How much of the presented technologies can be applied to the current 2170 lines and is Tesla willing to share those with its suppliers?
  • How is the structural pack affecting serviceability and repairs? (This might actually have gotten us the "million mile battery" quote, as in: "We guarantee 1m miles on the pack, if it breaks, you'll get a new car." :) )
I don't think we gained more infos on these questionsin the days after the presentation. :(

But Gali got to ask about electric airplanes... Yay!