Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is only my opinion but in general I think hacking should outright be illegal unless it is for assisting in making a platform more secure. In this case when you hack a system and publish/brag the results without allowing the software manufacturer a chance to correct the issue then you are IMO illegally hacking. YES, I think people should get paid for their work in finding vulnerabilities. It should not be done as blackmail tho.

It's like kicking in someones door (front or back) and trying to tell the police you were just testing if the door was solid.
Please all community of Tesla report that channel to YouTube as "scam"
For two raisons only make this video to making bad press of Tesla
And use this web/blog adress for the presentation with no permission.

Last edited:
New video from Giga Shanghai:

It looks like they are preparing to build a couple of new buildings. there are piles at the end of the MY main building and the concrete has been ripped up to make room to drive them into the ground.
upload_2020-11-14_11-49-27.png

The area next to the first Gigapress also has the same process going on. Perhaps the next gigapress isn't too far away.
upload_2020-11-14_11-52-25.png

It's crazy to see just how fast Tesla is expanding. Last year the talk of a gigapress being installed would be real news - now there's a few going into 4 separate locations globally.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-14_11-48-57.png
    upload_2020-11-14_11-48-57.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • upload_2020-11-14_11-52-2.png
    upload_2020-11-14_11-52-2.png
    838.4 KB · Views: 33
New video from Giga Shanghai:

Lots of interesting stuff this week. The outside ramp to the upper level of the Model Y factory building has been demolished, along with the waste processing facility which was next to it:
image.png

New waste processing facility appears to be under construction at the rear of the property behind the drive unit building:
image.png

Model Y test track also under construction nearby:
image.png

at least 3 of my work colleagues prefer to order a uber every day to go to work back and forth instead of driving.
They can either sleep, make calls or organize their schedule.
Robo-taxis will have massive demand.
It doesn't take that much of an income to get to the point where the tradeoff is easy in pure dollars. Covid has actually changed my own mind about things like grocery shopping. I can pay someone $15 to shop for me and save myself nearly an hour. I get car sick when someone else drives (especially in the back seat) so I reserve ubers for when I'm going out to drink for the most part. Robotaxi will change that for me I expect. We only have so much time.

The yellow rag known as the NYT is continuing to push big hydrogen to try and help out its big government Oil buddies I guess:

California Is Trying to Jump-Start the Hydrogen Economy

No mention of the energy inefficiencies involved. Only a focus on a lack of infrastructure which of course they are putting the government up to build. More taxpayer transfers of cash to monolithic centralized energy companies is their solution it seems. They even talk about carbon capture during hydrogen synthesis as a solution. No mention of the roadmap to the batteries that Tesla is already producing. Disgraceful.

The yellow rag known as the NYT is continuing to push big hydrogen to try and help out its big government Oil buddies I guess:

California Is Trying to Jump-Start the Hydrogen Economy

No mention of the energy inefficiencies involved. Only a focus on a lack of infrastructure which of course they are putting the government up to build. More taxpayer transfers of cash to monolithic centralized energy companies is their solution it seems. They even talk about carbon capture during hydrogen synthesis as a solution. No mention of the roadmap to the batteries that Tesla is already producing. Disgraceful.

Hopefully just a few more years of battery density and cost improvements will put the nail in the coffin. Some of the arguments (energy density etc.) for hydrogen in large vehicles are somewhat valid if battery technology is static. Tesla could help kill these arguments if they get the Semi on the road.

Provincial Government of Quebec to announce on Monday a ban of gas-powered car sales by 2035, like California.

Not that I think it will make much of a difference, nobody will want gas-cars by then anyway, but still a good warning shot to the industry and their soon-to-be stranded assets.
I actually think these ban in 10-15 years time things actually does help. Most people that buy new cars do care about the life of the car. Not because they will keep it more than 3 or 5 years, but because if the car only has a 5 year lifetime due to a ban then resale value will fall off a cliff.
And you bet that about the same time sales are banned usage will be banned or inconvienenced with lack of parking, heavy tolls to drive certain places or times etc.
So these bans sort of signify the end point even though they might be too late to directly affect anything.
October 2020 in Norway had less than 12% total of new sales as pure gasoline or pure diesel, about 5.5% of each (and 60% pure EV). so that's what it is going to look like other places as well. Our date is 2025 though.

Last edited:
I actually think these ban in 10-15 years time things actually does help. Most people that buy new cars do care about the life of the car. Not because they will keep it more than 3 or 5 years, but because if the car only has a 5 year lifetime due to a ban then resale value will fall off a cliff.
And you bet that about the same time sales are banned usage will be banned or inconvienenced with lack of parking, heavy tolls to drive certain places or times etc.
So these bans sort of signify the end point even though they might be too late to directly affect anything.
October 2020 in Norway had less than 12% total of new sales as pure gasoline or pure diesel, about 5.5% of each (and 60% pure EV). so that's what it is going to look like other places as well. Our date is 2025 though.

The ban is only for SALES of new ICE vehicles. Not use. There will still be ICE vehicles on the road, and used sales of ICE. But no new ones sold.

The ban is only for SALES of new ICE vehicles. Not use. There will still be ICE vehicles on the road, and used sales of ICE. But no new ones sold.

Some countries are allowing for a few more years of ICE attrition before complete ICE ban, but most are starting with new ICE sales ban (some with incremental hybrid extensions). With more countries and regional/local government jurisdictions jumping on the ban wagon and legacy automakers going out of business, consumers will make the shift on their own. I believe ICE will eventually become an oddity that draws attention of gawkers and historians.

...Let's say I am exceeding dubious about almost any idea that assumes there's massive, massive, massive demand for robotaxis.

All taxis in the country are like 0.1% of all vehicles in the US. Even adding all the uber drivers (ALL of em, not just ones running at same time) it's like 1% of vehicles in the US.
...I'd also expect the total #s to be somewhat higher than present as some households decide they don't need to keep a 2nd or 3rd car... But nowhere near the amount of them some folks seem to think.

I don't understand why you keep insisting that current usage of taxis and ridesharing is a valid estimate of robotaxi usage. Uber costs $7-10 for the one-mile trip to my local drug store. Robotaxi cost has been estimated at $1 per mile, and eventually could go much lower.

Please show us an example of an essential service for which cost dropped an order of magnitude but usage became "somewhat higher."

Also, don't forget the potential market for electric FSD is not only robotaxis, but also robo-trucks and delivery vans of all sizes. Even if robo-transport of people never becomes dominant, robo-transport of goods will be "massive, massive, massive."