Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's still hard to believe I just picked up 10 shares for luck at $2900 pre split price and not only am I feeling good about them, but I'm already up enough on them to cover a meal out.
$TSLA Cyber monday flash sale has concluded for now :)
Cheap shares are now on back order. Only premium versions remain.

Using the Oct-2020 YTD numbers from EV sales : EV Sales: Global Top 20 October 2020 and adding in a few fairly crude kWh and $$ metrics I get these stats for Tesla's overall position vs the competition in the BEV+PHEV arena. The big unknown is what is hidden in the 56% of 'other' but I reckon it is mostly various micro-EV stuff. If you have better data let me know.

regards, pb/dspp
==================================

First by model:

OKvHuCw.jpg

Then by manufacturer:
4Z95TuC.jpg
I love this analysis. We used to some of this in the EV Market Share thread. Battery supply is likely the most difficult scale up problem for EV makers. So with Tesla at 35% share of EV GWh, this is a huge lead for Tesla.

Battery supply is also key, I think, to being able to command share of revenue. Top OEMs by share of GWh are also top by revenue.

Additionally, learning curve cost advantages advantages accrue faster for competitors with a higher share of battery production. Even if some EV battery makers approach Tesla's scale to obtain these learning curve and scale advantages, the OEMs buying those batteries cede a huge share of the revenue to their battery suppliers. Some of these learning curve gains are structural integration, and here Tesla has an advantage over EV battery suppliers. Tesla looks to hold a massive share of gross profit.

It is hard to see how competitors will be able to chip away at Tesla's 35% share of the battery supply. Tesla is increasingly bringing their battery supply in-house while ramping up total supply at top speed. Tesla's scale and integration advantages are enormous. Easily half the vehicles in this segment only exist to satisfy regulatory compliance. But the compliance game does not get an ICE maker to the scale needed to be relevant in the EV market.

Thanks for this, everyone, I enjoy this forum a lot.

Hi @AudubonB and other mods, could we perhaps use a data driven approach. Those with stats of high rates of "disagree" should be warned, and eventually banned? I know this also tilts against those with legitimately controversial ideas, so is there a different metric we could use? Could we make the decision about how much to limit someone be less arbitrary and more democratic?

Just a suggestion.

Okay, I subscribe to the democratic approach! And since I trust TMC's voting mechanism isn't fraudulent ;), this idea is turned down.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Screenshot_20201130-091238.png

Sizzle index 1.747 indicates current volume of option trading is almost 75% higher than average daily volume. This is consistent with what I've seen every morning since sp500 inclusion news hit.

P/C ratio is 0.522 meaning open interest in puts versus calls is call heavy. Nearly 2 calls are purchased for every put purchased.

In comparison I have seen on some of the down days in the past few weeks a p/c ratio of 2.0 or higher. That was indicative of protective put purchases and shorts trying to time the "peak".

Today was the first time in the last few weeks where I watched the price of Tesla turn down sharply and there was not a corresponding reversal in put versus call purchases. Even with the price dropping the number of calls still outpaced puts.

In other news I called tdameritrade to have my margin reduced and used interactive brokers 0.85% offering as an example. The request was submitted for the principals to review and the client services rep I spoke with did mention, to temper my expectations, that they won't be able to match that rate. I asked about getting closer to 2% versus my current over 4% rate and he said even larger accounts he has seen do not have 2%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesm...sions--dont-believe-the-fossil-fuel-hype/amp/

In the last few days, a report has been hitting the headlines in the UK about the carbon footprint of producing EVs. The main story is that (mostly due to the batteries) the manufacture of an electric vehicle means that it will need to drive 50,000 miles before an equivalent fossil fuel car becomes less green. This is not a complete lie – the carbon footprint of EV manufacture is (generally) higher than for fossil fuel cars at the moment. But leading on this headline figure obscures a lot of detail, and when you dig deeper, the motivations for the report become more questionable.
[EVs] really are a silver bullet for emissions neutrality; don’t believe the hype from companies with heavy fossil fuel bias.

Capping happening in the slower afternoon trading. Trading algorithms must be benefitting from the capping, because it just does not make sense otherwise. Seeing large orders being put in and pulled as TSLA has tried to get above $584 - saw heavy selling as TSLA crossed $584, and then significant capping below $583.50 as the stock was brought down. Will be interesting to see if the negative macros help the cappers win, or if we will see them get steamrolled again.

So, about all that proprietary Nikola IP... I guess this truck will have mind-blowing infotainment screens or something.

Come on now, I'm not sure it's fair to ignore the in-cab soda fountain! Using the waste water from hydrogen fuel cells to make soda pop is pure genius.

Why can't Tesla innovate on this level? Is this why we can't have nice things? :confused:

/s

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesm...sions--dont-believe-the-fossil-fuel-hype/amp/

In the last few days, a report has been hitting the headlines in the UK about the carbon footprint of producing EVs. The main story is that (mostly due to the batteries) the manufacture of an electric vehicle means that it will need to drive 50,000 miles before an equivalent fossil fuel car becomes less green. This is not a complete lie – the carbon footprint of EV manufacture is (generally) higher than for fossil fuel cars at the moment. But leading on this headline figure obscures a lot of detail, and when you dig deeper, the motivations for the report become more questionable.
[EVs] really are a silver bullet for emissions neutrality; don’t believe the hype from companies with heavy fossil fuel bias.

Auke Hoekstra on Twitter also did a great thread on debunking this: https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/1332464525602410498?s=20