Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6A68607B-112C-47F6-870A-B0328DE1EDB2.jpeg

me :
1. shakes head that stock is down when there is supposed to be a f**k ton of buying coming up
2. questions everything I've learned in past couple weeks
3. checks after hours
4. realizes all is ok

Even after several years, I get surprised by the volatility. Not that it IS happening, just timing. Negated the entire down day in seemingly 1 minute?

Good afternoonmarket, everyone. Hope all are feeling better now.

Two points of correction from posts of about 6-8 hours ago that a quick scan suggests have not been addressed by subsequent posts:

1. The news out of Germany regarding Paint Shop came across here translated as something like "Early Market Permit". I believe all should know that a more accurate translation would be "Preliminary Permit". This is why further down the article there were words like "puts responsibility/liability on the manufacturer". Such an event was something Mr Musk addressed specifically in his talk at the Axel Springer conference: the reason Tesla has been able to move as quickly as they have with the Grünheide Gigafactory is because they have been willing to take the risk of not getting formal, final permits, and proceeding with the Preliminary ones only.

2. Increasing the size of Tesla's authorized but not issued shares.

The number of authorized shares is codified in the company's Bylaws, and cannot be increased solely at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Rather, such action must be put to a vote of shareholders. So, even though there is only a vanishingly small chance that the vote would go against the proposal, it does still introduce the annoyance of a time element. Me? As a member of the Board I would straightaway put that on the table and have shareholders vote to increase the number authorized shares from the current 2 billion (I think that’s the current authorized amount ) to 20 or 50 billion. That should take care of any number of stock splits for some time to come.
“Number authorized” truly is an archaic and absolutely anachronistic term. It makes zero difference to the stability of the company or its balance sheet, just as “Par value” also does not....usually. No difference whether par value is $.01 - probably the most common par used in US corporations - or “No par value” or $.02222. You do NOT want to place a high par value on your stock because it exposes you to some liability, as this Investopedia article describes: Par Value Stock vs. No Par Value Stock: What's the Difference?