Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. But Knightshade suggested “never”.

Well, no... Knightshade posted a video of Elon Musk saying never.

Specifically reiterating the idea of Teslas mission- that they will always choose to lower the cost of their products and make them more accessible rather than just send cash back to shareholders.

The later twitter comment from him seemed to reflect that same idea...

Elon Musk said:
Paying div is a sign that a company cannot find good ways to spend money.

So essentially a dividend would never make sense unless there was nothing toward the mission that the company could otherwise do with the money.

I suppose in some super bullish, quite distant, future, 100% of cars are EVs, 100% of homes have solar roofs and fixed storage, 100% of commercial and public buildings do as well.... and all the other various products Tesla makes and sells are ALSO 100% fully available to anyone who wants one, and 100% of them are totally and easily affordable price-wise for 100% of the world.

After which the next dollar of profit CAN'T somehow instead be used to expand access to things that help the mission.

But if that's your "SO YOU ARE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE!!!" reading of it... well, let's say I'm not planning my retirement around this plan.

Well, no... Knightshade posted a video of Elon Musk saying never.

Specifically reiterating the idea of Teslas mission- that they will always choose to lower the cost of their products and make them more accessible rather than just send cash back to shareholders.

The later twitter comment from him seemed to reflect that same idea...

So essentially a dividend would never make sense unless there was nothing toward the mission that the company could otherwise do with the money.

I suppose in some super bullish, quite distant, future, 100% of cars are EVs, 100% of homes have solar roofs and fixed storage, 100% of commercial and public buildings do as well.... and all the other various products Tesla makes and sells are ALSO 100% fully available to anyone who wants one, and 100% of them are totally and easily affordable price-wise for 100% of the world.

After which the next dollar of profit CAN'T somehow instead be used to expand access to things that help the mission.

But if that's your "SO YOU ARE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE!!!" reading of it... well, let's say I'm not planning my retirement around this plan.

A company growing aggressively year after year, having been very close to bankruptcy several times due to going "all-in" (according to Elon), constantly innovating, plowing money in to R&D, expanding to new markets both geographically as well as product wise and during all this also raising capital several times in the last few years isn't going to be paying dividends any time soon. I 100% agree with Elon that paying dividends is what you do when you have no productive way to spend/invest profit.

S&P inclusion announcement came at $408 @ $368B Market Cap.
Since then, we are now at $600 @ $567B Market Cap.
Since then, Market Cap has increased by $181B.
From various post'n blogs +-$140B needs to be bought from S&P Index funds and the like.
Therefore have we already overshot by $41B ($181B - $140B)? What am I missing?
I'm all for more gains, but am asking for a friend.

Is this plug copyrighted in any way? In Europe my TMX use a generic type 2 plug which many car brands use.
Not sure if Tesla's plug is patented or not, but there's really two reasons to put one on your car in the US:

Using Tesla destination charging (which nowadays requires Tesla approval except on older HPWCs that only speak J1772 protocol, or newer HPWCs that have had the protocol switch flipped to J1772 protocol (which AFAIK does not happen in the US))
Using Tesla Superchargers (which requires Tesla approval)

Otherwise, you'd just use a J1772 (with CCS or maybe CHAdeMO for DC fast charging).

Could just be that they're negotiating with Tesla for use of it, but they certainly seem to be teasing Tesla-compatible charging, which would obviously have a revenue impact for Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
S&P inclusion announcement came at $408 @ $368B Market Cap.
Since then, we are now yat $600 @ $567B Market Cap.
Since then, Market Cap has increased by $181B.
From various post'n blogs +-$140B needs to be bought from S&P Index funds and the like.
Therefore have we already overshot by $41B ($181B - $140B)? What am I missing?
I'm all for more gains, but am asking for a friend.

That share price does not increase linearly as shares become more scarce. Each share gets incrementally more expensive as they are bought up by the funds. So what was 140B worth of shares at the baseline market cap becomes more.

Gary Black on Twitter said 16% of shares are needed so the price should increase by 16%. But, taken to the extreme, if 100% of shares needed to be bought, would the price increase by just 100% or go to infinity?

What if there are 50 million shares wanted and only 10 million selling? Wouldn't that be a disaster for the funds on Dec 21 when the price can then potentially skyrocket and the starting index price is set.

Yep, I can't see where the closing action process guarantees sufficient shares are available, funds might enter a price that captures the top 2-3 levels of the limit orderbook to tap more shares.

I assume orders are repriced to the same price which makes it strictly time priority (i.e. no sharing), which could mean some funds don't get any shares at all some days.

So I have about 100k to invest and looking for a nice sizable return over the next 3-4 months. I'm not sure if anything is as attractive as TSLA. Thoughts? MindMed, MSOS ETF? SWAV ?
@SeaNile, why you would be asking about investement not an advice for any company other than Tesla on TMC is beyond my scope of comprehension. But I was never very bright.

So I have about 100k to invest and looking for a nice sizable return over the next 3-4 months. I'm not sure if anything is as attractive as TSLA. Thoughts? MindMed, MSOS ETF? SWAV ?
If I knew how I would do it right away.

with Michael Burry shorting TSLA stock.
With the previous 2 weeks 43% rise and last week sideways.
Is TSLA going to keep going next week to $700? Can’t answer that question.

ABNB IPOing on Thursday might be an interesting buy after 2-3 weeks when hype goes down, return on 3-4 years though. 3-4 months swing trading is not my speciality. A trader I know is advocating gold because of market highs and is expecting a correction but again, the market has acted the opposite of what we expected during the elections

Almost Completely OT:

We are without power here in large parts of San Diego county, and SDG&E says it could be up to 4 days till it is restored (high winds, emergency shut off to prevent fires).

Situations like this make me LOVE my Tesla Powerwalls. I've strung an extension cord to the front of my house and invited neighbors to charge phones, etc. while they wait on power to be restored. I've told every single one about the Powerwalls, and hopefully today there are a few that will be purchasing. Already a few are looking into TSLA stock.

View attachment 614166

I did my part for Q1/Q2 2021 sales.

Since the above post, we had a 35h 54m power outage. I have confirmed sales from neighbors of 24-28 Powerwalls since power came back online. It's been basically a revolving door of questions and show/tell of my garage and the 4 Powerwalls.

If only Tesla still had a referral program that gave anything for PW2 sales . . .

Tesla is over 10 fantastic different businesses in one - I don't know why anyone would want to be more diversified than that, and we certainly don't discuss such foolishness here.

Tesla is over 10 fantastic different businesses in one - I don't know why anyone would want to be more diversified than that, and we certainly don't discuss such foolishness here.
I have been told to diversify more times than I have done a double take on a cute girl....and that's a lot.
Still all in on ONE company...looked but can't find any company even close to invest in that will give the return's Tesla will.

YMMV:cool:

I get it but I am sure people on here also invest in more than one stock. Is everyone 100% TSLA here? If so thats awesome!!
Everyone will have different opinions on where to invest their money. FYI, these are the companies I'm currently invested in, with over 50% in TSLA - LMND, Z, SEDG, PLTR, PTON, MGNI. I also have about 25% spread out among most of ARK's funds.

Reactions: ABCTG and Ratanpara
I have been told to diversify more times than I have done a double take on a cute girl....and that's a lot.
Still all in on ONE company...looked but can't find any company even close to invest in that will give the return's Tesla will.

YMMV:cool:

Kind of how I feel as well. Hear so many people wanting 5-7% returns meanwhile TSLA is up close to 700% this year. That is just absolutely insane. Hate that my 401k is only available to Fidelity funds. I'd go TSLA if possible.....

Still trying to decide on my 300k....it'll definitely have TSLA as well as Trulieve and MSOS ETF. Maybe a dabble of MindMed as well.

Appears not to be included in the regular trading session volume. Closing Cross volume of approx 7,379,896 shares on Friday at exactly 4PM (as per CNBC.COM minute chart) does not seem to be included in the 3:59PM volume, which only showed 616,051 shares traded.

Source of chart below: BARCHART.COM

View attachment 615162

thanks for posting this

I just went over to CNBC’s site, but couldn’t figure out where to spot the 7.4 million shares at 4:00.

Maybe you could help me find it? Would be interesting to watch for closing cross volume the coming days.

• Helpful
Reactions: gabeincal