Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say I have a hard time understanding what the green is implying here.

What makes you feel like Tesla is way ahead in software department? Not questioning you, just trying to understand better.

I think hes just pointing out Teslas autopilot team have put in a metric *sugar* ton of work into this and it's no small achievement.

Ark is running circles around other Wall St folks.

Can’t help noticing the $222 pre-split price on the day of that clip. Too bad my wife talked me out of buying even more shares back then!

Yeah, we have had discussions about buying more. We agreed (she said) to not buy more.
I ignored that at certain times, have almost always had a bit of pain followed by immediate life changing gains.
In for a penny, in for a pound!

I think hes just pointing out Teslas autopilot team have put in a metric *sugar* ton of work into this and it's no small achievement.

And the statement that "programming goes the way of the dodo" is a reference to the old days when all these decisions would need to be hard-coded IF-THEN statements, whereas with AP 2 it's just a self-learning tool now, so little human input needed.

The other observation he makes is the levels of detail that AP 2 goes into when making decisions is not something that a human would get engaged with on a conscious level, we would not have the patience for it.

$ 1 Year
$ 12 1
$ 145 2
$ 1,742 3
$ 20,959 4
$ 252,184 5
$ 3,034,315 6
$ 36,509,352 7
$ 439,286,205 8
$ 5,285,560,046 9
$ 63,596,681,796 10

For day traders. Start with $1. Every day just make 1% on a trade. Do this for 250 days a year. That means you have weekends off and two weeks a year for holidays and vacation. Do this for 10 years, and you will have $63 Billion. Best to do in a Roth IRA, so no taxes on the gain. The power of compounding. You will be one of the richest people in the world.

If making "just" 1% profit with day trading for 250 days straight is so easy, everyone and their mother would do it.

Of course I don't disagree with the math of compounding interest. I disagree with the possibility. This disregards down days in which you erase the profits of the day(s)/week(s) before, setting you back to square one.

This is similar advice to using the Martingale strategy on Roulette/Blackjack. The internet is full of people explaining these strats (they're the smart ones, they receive views/clicks) but nobody gets rich by doing so.

Just wanted to point this out in case someone on here read this post and thought "now THAT's what I'm gonna be doing with my life".

These "investment strategies" are same as "go and find gold".
Why not? Of course it works!
But in the end the profits went to the shovel seller(s).

It is exactly the same with day trading, TA and such. The house will take most of the profit. Only a select few will have real gains just so more people come in.

Buy and go away (= hold).

The ambivalence about whether to do this latest $5B raise, as expressed by Musk in the WSJ interview, speaks volumes about the executive team’s confidence in the future (near and far). In the interview he seems indifferent whether they did the raise now or not.

If they thought $650 was artificially high due to S&P inclusion frontrunning, they would be more eager to raise the money now. But if they think the SP is going to be at least that high, if not higher, when they need capital again, then what’s the rush?

They’ve got an expansion plan. They already have the capital to execute that plan at least in the short term, and when they need capital to keep executing the plan down the road, they are supremely confident they can raise it later with minimal dilution.

For a capital intensive business that is expanding global manufacturing rapidly, that’s bullish AF.

Last edited:
I plan on using the bow for my Tesla when it comes in.

Date hasn’t pushed again today, so... hopeful?
1011D103-D5B0-467F-B2F9-9ECA15AB0944.jpeg

I think Rob has a very good analysis of how Quantumscape might impact Tesla, at least given what can be easily known right now. Hint: the answer is probably not much at all for at least 6-8 years or longer (potentially forever).

I watched the recent Quantumscape Zoom call and it was lengthy and repetitive and short on details, particularly timeframes and costs. To be fair, QS had already released some info on timeframes and costs and the Zoom call was just to focus on the more exciting aspects of the potential of their solid state battery without much of the most important stuff from a competitive and investment perspective like time and cost. Rob's video is a much shorter and more information dense summary that also includes a basic analysis of time and costs as previously presented by QS:

QuantumScape’s Solid-State Battery vs. Tesla, QS Stock Analysis, Tesla China November Sales - YouTube

I think Rob has a very good analysis of how Quantumscape might impact Tesla, at least given what can be easily known right now. Hint: the answer is probably not much at all for at least 6-8 years or longer (potentially forever).

I watched the recent Quantumscape Zoom call and it was lengthy and repetitive and short on details, particularly timeframes and costs. To be fair, QS had already released some info on timeframes and costs and the Zoom call was just to focus on the more exciting aspects of the potential of their solid state battery without much of the most important stuff from a competitive and investment perspective like time and cost. Rob's video is a much shorter and more information dense summary that also includes a basic analysis of time and costs as previously presented by QS:

QuantumScape’s Solid-State Battery vs. Tesla, QS Stock Analysis, Tesla China November Sales - YouTube

I found that zoom to be really untrustworthy. But given the makeup of the board it still has gravitas.

Enough gravitas to be up 20% premarket again after going up 30% yesterday.

But by their own admission they are 5 years out from anything so I agree with your conclusion.

Blink just received the exclusivity for Burger King parking lots for I don't know how many years. The CEO claims he has rights for up to 20 years in some parking lots. This means if there is demand they can add charging stations but NOBODY else can in that particular parking lot. I understand why the stock is up 1411% this year. It makes sense to me.

It doesn't mean I would own the stock though.

Blink just received the exclusivity for Burger King parking lots for I don't know how many years. The CEO claims he has rights for up to 20 years in some parking lots. This means if there is demand they can add charging stations but NOBODY else can in that particular parking lot. I understand why the stock is up 1411% this year. It makes sense to me.

Holy crap. That's just crazy. Who spends enough time at burger king that a 25 mile per hour charge is worth plugging in to.

I've had to use a blink charger once, in Seattle. And it was a frustrating experience for which I didn't feel like it was worth the effort when I unplugged in the end.

I found that zoom to be really untrustworthy. But given the makeup of the board it still has gravitas.

Enough gravitas to be up 20% premarket again after going up 30% yesterday.

But by their own admission they are 5 years out from anything so I agree with your conclusion.
That's nuts. It puts QS at a $26b valuation for a company that won't have any revenue for 4 years. There has got to be a crash in the non-tesla ev bubble at some point.

T minus 5 minutes for max q…

The max q condition is the point when an investor’s portfolio aerospace vehicle's atmospheric flight reaches maximum dynamic pressure from pre-market announcements. This is a significant factor in the design of such a portfolio vehicles because the gain/loss because of aerodynamic structural load on them is proportional to the contents of such announcements dynamic pressure. This may impose limits on the stock’s vehicle's flight envelope.
(Max q - Wikipedia)

(almost *sugar* my pants yesterday when I saw that happening…
Gave me a chance though to sell some lower-leverage stuff and buy back higher-leverage, basically adding a another Falcon booster for the way back up ;))

OK, throttling down for max q now
(and then back up to that $665-ish where we were before this all happened yesterday!)

So, we all know the tired li(n)e "Tesla only makes a profit due to credits". Even though, if you remove the credits and the taxes paid on the credit income, Tesla made a profit last quarter.

Well, what if you could near instantly boost the GAAP bottom line by around $170 million a quarter, over $600 million a year?

That's what paying off their debt does:
Screenshot_20201209-064455_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Note: I'm not sure if paying off all the debt this flows from is the plan. Current (debt and leases) and long term liabilities are each at around $3 Billion and I am not an accountant.

I think it is very, very smart for tesla to use the cap raise to pay down debt. I know the corporate mantra for many years has been 'load up on debt and who cares', but we are entering uncharted waters in terms of global economies, with pandemics, political instability, climate change and who knows what direction interest rates will go in the future. Having little to no debt is an incredibly strong position to be in, and I'm very happy as an investor to see them take that step.

It also weakens the argument for bailing out car companies that get in trouble, as wise politicians can ask why the so-called experts at GM, Ford etc did not manage their debt like tesla did when they come begging to the government for help (again).

Also its a good point to be able to make to potential car buyers. Do you want a car from a financially stable company? or one from a debt-laden dinosaur that might crash and burn next year?