Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ABC - 1.5 hours ago: UAW agrees to monitor, election change to avoid fed takeover

Excerpt:

An independent monitor will help root out corruption in the United Auto Workers union' and members will decide if they will vote directly on the union's leadership under a reform agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office.

Great . . . so it's now going from an independent union to basically a gov union . . . can we add a little bit MORE inefficiency to things?

Good for Tesla, however. :D

Schaffer's - this morning: S&P News Helps TSLA Brush Off Production Shutdown

Excerpts:

Although the shares pulled back after their Dec. 8 all-time high of $649.88, the dip was contained by their ascending 10-day moving average...

In the options pits, calls have been popular over the last 10 weeks...

The good news for options traders is that premium can be had for a bargain...

wouldn't that imply that the market views TSLA hitting 1000 at the end of the year as less likely given that the calls expire in 17 days, regardless of today's activity? that's all it means
This seems to be a response to my post about some short-term way OTM call prices being down today... yes, I agree. That is exactly what it means. I just thought it was odd the calls were down so much while the SP is up so much.

"I have a friend at Lucid and I told him that the Air is a fantastic car and they should be proud of it. Its just bad luck for them that it will be obsolete before it ever rolls out of the factory."
Basically stuff we already know
Thanks. I was puzzling over that, but am not clear how that is bullish for Tesla. Presumably most of Tesla's competitors have obsolete tech. I rather like the idea that tabless and other advances could be applies broadly to other cells. Failure to do that seems to imply that Tesla is trying to market obsolete tech in older models.

This seems to be a response to my post about some short-term way OTM call prices being down today... yes, I agree. That is exactly what it means. I just thought it was odd the calls were down so much while the SP is up so much.

It is probably too simplistic to look at it this way, but let's take for example (and round for slightly easier math) the Dec. 24 1000 call options. They are down today. If we look at the share price as 600 to start the day, that is 400 points to breakeven over 9 days. We need 44 points per day to close that gap and we are seeing only 28 points of movement today. That means we're falling short of our daily implied move which makes hitting 1000 less likely.

Hopefully someone here who works with options more can correct this thinking if it is out of spec.

44.3 M shares traded already today, with Buyer's successfully capping SP btwn $635-$640 for over 4 hrs. This has been a master class in extracting liquidity from the Market.

I have no doubt this deliberate 'rolling barrage' of slowly increasing SPs will succeed in extracting the required number of shares from current TSLA holders (and shortzes) by Dec 24.

Today has been a good opportunity to move some taxable shares from the brokerage account I am disappointed in to one that I find much better. With the shape of today's graph, it's been possible to do it profitably enough to pay some of the taxes I will eventually have to pay anyway.
You kind of get the MMs working for you.

Remember, tomorrow is the first day that actual S&P index funds can buy. Pressure today is from benchmark funds only, and they can take their time.

That's demonstrably false and we have gone over it many times here yet it keeps getting repeated. Every S&P 500 Index Fund has their own rules. Schwab has only one S&P 500 Index fund (SWPPX) and the rules for the fund management are surprisingly lenient. They don't even need to own a stock added to the S&P if the management determines it might be detrimental to the funds performance. They are allowed to front-run inclusion at their own discretion.

That said, historically SWPPX tracks the index very closely so they are probably not using a lot of discretion on a regular basis. But the idea that all index funds are strictly constrained by pre-determined time limits is simply not true. Every fund will have unique governing documents. You can read the prospectus for SWPPX here:

Schwab (rightprospectus.com)

Look on page 1 under "principle investment strategies".