Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sold 25% of my TSLA holdings.
My personal situation has changed. After 30 years of literally working myself to death in a very rewarding, however very stressful career, I have now retired from my day job to spend time with family and friends. My wife also just retired so we have gone from two full-time salaries down to nil, no pensions, no savings, only our house, our Model 3 and 99.6% of all other assets in TSLA. Now trimmed to 75% TSLA. We will let this investment ride out for many more years.
Thanks to Elon, all Tesla employees, and all TMC Investment Thread posters for helping making this possible.
Wishing everyone a fantastic, healthy and safe 2021.

I think it will. One intention of the initial split was to make the stock more "accessible" to small investors. The stock price is again creeping up to levels that are too expensive for small investors. And I'm no expert on the topic, but I believe a lower stock price could allow entry into the Dow if that's what Tesla wanted to do.
I don't think Tesla cares about being in the Dow and consider how high the stock price was before the first split.

Does Fred have issues comprehending the stuff he's posting?

"Tesla (TSLA) has recently introduced plans to produce its own battery cells called ‘4680’, but now we learn that Panasonic will also be producing the new cell for them, according to a new repor"

This was always going to be the plan at Giga 1 since Tesla doesn't fully outright own it. Practically everyone and their mother took from Battery Day that Tesla will produce the new cells in the Gigafactories they own AND with some of their partners

The Apple car news was entirely manufactured by Reuters with suspicious timing, no news, and no sources whatsoever.

The tidbit about LFP batteries indicates that the "people familiar with the matter" actually had "no idea at all".

Pretty much. The moment I saw the report come out on Monday, I knew it was a hit peice that had a very specific purpose. Haven't seen anything since that has changed my view that's a complete rehash of the report 5 years ago

Apple can speed up their time lines significantly if they partner with someone else to manufacture.

Partnering with someone else to manufacture will hinder their ability to compete with Tesla (in terms of offering great value for the money).

2025-2027 is "only" six to eight years late relative to their original deadline of 2019 (that Apple insiders thought was one to two years too aggressive). I think the original story from 2015, as sourced by insiders speaking without authorization, was accurate but a few years ago Apple pulled the plug on the project of designing and building an entire car to focus solely on automotive infotainment systems and autonomous driving technology. People were laid off and staff was pared way down, by 2/3's if I recall (again, as reported by anon inside sources without authorization to talk).

While I believed the original sources were accurate, I think this is a re-incarnation of that news and it is based upon a kernel of truth relating to autonomous software efforts and automotive infotainment systems, not an Apple car. At best, there might be a deal for someone else to fund and build a car with Apple supplying the software and some capital. But the partner would have to have some considerable skin (money) in the game. It probably wouldn't even be branded as an "Apple car". I doubt it will ever get this far. More likely the recent news stories are mostly made up about Apple being that involved in any one car or line of cars.

My personal situation has changed. After 30 years of literally working myself to death in a very rewarding, however very stressful career, I have now retired from my day job to spend time with family and friends. My wife also just retired so we have gone from two full-time salaries down to nil, no pensions, no savings, only our house, our Model 3 and 99.6% of all other assets in TSLA. Now trimmed to 75% TSLA. We will let this investment ride out for many more years.
Thanks to Elon, all Tesla employees, and all TMC Investment Thread posters for helping making this possible.

***OMG*** i can't believe the coincidence. This is just Twilight Zone territory. Just literally 10 mins ago, my spouse and I concluded our long talk and then celebrated the fact that we also both decided to retire early. Just need to give our 2 weeks' notice tomorrow. We worked to death the Government of Canada Retirement Calculator (and other bank calculators) and it repeatedly confirmed what we already know from our spreadsheets: TSLA has made our early retirement possible. We cashed out of all our real estate/mutual funds/ETFs/etc and dumped every single thing into TSLA early last year and way before the 700%+ runup. I would have never guessed this day has arrived. We are so happy like you wouldn't believe it.

THIS FORUM IS THE REASON WE ARE IN THIS FANTASTIC SITUATION
. I'll repeat that. THIS FORUM IS THE REASON WE ARE IN THIS FANTASTIC SITUATION. (If you are new in this forum, do NOT believe everything you read in the news/Twitter/Reddit/etc. Seek clarity with the members here. Get the real facts HERE.)

Most of all, we love your non-stop pleadings to HODL and to never give up when the MM's were at their worst. There were certainly many, many depressing days like that where the SP was going nowhere. Thank you so much for all your advices and amazing insights into clearing up the FUDs. We wish you all the best this season and in the many years to come. Don't know what to do yet at retirement, but top of the list is giving, especially to family and friends, like you also said.

Special ***THANK YOU*** to TMC members here who are unwavering and steadfast in sharing information and life experiences - you know who you are. You are the pillars in this forum. Even during times where members are bickering towards each other, we learned to filter and pick up info gems and gold nuggets here and there.

Thank you so much again sincerely, TMC.

Over the years, I’d talk to dad about manufacturing costs and methods - he knows a lot as Financial Controller in a former life.

Something I learned:

Manufacturers do have their own R&D teams when they get rights to a certain new technology they are doing production for.

I've longed thought Tesla was going to do a "Batteries 4 Alllll" approach. Basically, outsourcing and/or licensing the new battery tech (or maybe giving it away for free) to the LG Chem and Panasonic of the world. From there, all the auto companies are going to get the new cheaper and better battery tech - hence why they are waiting until 2023-2024 for their EV rollouts...which is 2 years after Tesla's ramp up.

Personally, I think impossible for TSLA to own the entire world's auto market, but they can help transition the world to better transportation and sustainable infrastructure. Superchargers are already being used by some EV’s outside TSLA and I’m assuming the Boring Co loops will be doing the same in the future too...to eventually being used by every auto company. Thoughts?

Weak long.

J/k congratulations!

So why ARKG when we can just buy TSLA? :)

(TBH, I'm in the EU so I can't buy any ARKs ETFs. I'd love to...)
Thanks!

At what exchange are they traded (can’t find them on the saxo site in the list with ETFs).

ARK ETFs are traded on the NYSE. For Europeans, trading ARK ETFs is difficult to impossible.

Relevant links:

Does ARK provide a KIID for investors from European Countries? - ark-funds.com

https://almvest.com/blog/how-to-buy-ark-invest-etf/