Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's curious, I've never met a Tesla owner who told me they had a subscription to another charging network. Perhaps this is a more local phenomena.

It would be nice to hear from others. You can count me as a Tesla owner who has never used a non-Tesla charger.

Many ChargePoint chargers are free, but you need a ChargePoint account to access them (RFID card or app). They are located in a number of publicly accessible parking lots. I am a Tesla owner who had used them a number of times and never had to pay.

View attachment 622871

The investment world woke up to Tesla in 2020. I've added a simple straight line to the actual share price graph to illustrate what it might have looked like had this appreciation of the company occurred earlier. And here's the thing. During those intervening years, most people on this board, aware of the disconnect between price and value, were busy hoovering up shares on the cheap. Aren't we glad we did.

I really can't thank Wall St stupidity enough. I was able to accumulate so much more of TSLA than I ever imagined when I started 8 years ago. The more the disconnect with their business and the stock action in 2018 and especially 2019, the bolder I got with my buying.....using multiple HELOC's between 2018 and mid 2019. Absolutely can't thank Wall St enough haha :p

you may be right, but that would make me sad. The S and X need to do more to distinguish and separate themselves from the 3 and Y, not less. These cars are not about profit margin and ultra-maximizing mass production efficiency. They are $80k-$150k ultra tech/luxury vehicles to show off the best Tesla has to offer. They’ve got to justify their existence versus the 3 and Y with something more than just slightly larger interior and slightly better 0-60.

Hmm. How about a water fountain in the center console? I heard that’s what the true innovators are doing

Craig Irwin currently on CNBC regarding Tesla 2021 outlook:
"I don't see any negative for 2021"

For reference, he used to have very similar negative tone as Gordon Johnson in the past. So, looks like he still can learn and improving himself :)

View attachment 622897
How many are regulars on this thread? 500? We would be ranked #1-500 on those rankings

For reference, he used to have very similar negative tone as Gordon Johnson in the past. So, looks like he still can learn and improving himself :)

View attachment 622897
Wow, didn't know he flipped he turned his frown upside down ;)

View attachment 622897

But the 2nd half of his monologue was very "Tesla doesn't have a true competitive advantage" talk. BS points he tried to make - Tesla has not secret battery sauce or they would not be using 3rd parties for batteries, Tesla is about to get run over by other chip manufacturers with 10X the processing power for their self driving solutions, blah blah blah. Was a huge letdown that he only had a peripheral understand of what makes Tesla so great.

Guess he doesn't read this thread.

Man, if IV goes up a little I may have to sell some covered calls. $1200 Jan 2022s are at $83. I've been wrong before but that seems unlikely to wind up in the money. Just a few though. My luck robotaxi would get launched in October and the stock would go to 3k. :rolleyes:

I don't think Fool gives good advice at all. I am invested in SBE, but every Tesla owner I know has a ChargePoint account. Personally I've used their chargers probably 20x more often than Superchargers.
I don't have a ChargePoint account. I charge at home, Superchargers or Destination Chargers. I've never had a reason to charge anywhere else, and I doubt I ever will.

He believes that LIDAR is unnecessary, causing hardware and system maintenance costs to be more expensive and therefore failing from a business perspective.

This is true but it's not the only nail in the coffin. Eventually, LIDAR could drop in price enough that it wouldn't be price prohibitive but the problem that would remain is that it can't see through bad weather like radar can (or even as well as cameras). So it's handicapped from a cost perspective AND a functional perspective.

At most, LIDAR could only play a supporting role in relatively clear visibility conditions. So, if you don't solve FSD with vision, you don't solve FSD.

How many are regulars on this thread? 500? We would be ranked #1-500 on those rankings

Just checked my account's performance report over the last year but they didn't list my percentage gain, only a footnote:

17 The return calculated exceeds the maximum reasonable values set by this financial institution.

Love this forum and everyone contributing. Happy New Year to all the bulls!

OK, I read all that twice, and I'm still not sure if you approve of my strategy :oops:
OK, let me be clear. I do approve of your strategy.
I approve, and practice, hedging.
I even approve of speculation, so long as I am the broker.
Adding a specific reference:
Nearly all brokerage firms make money by:
1. Margin lending;
2. securities lending;
3. Derivative commissions.
Thus, when doing any of those things I try to ensure that I am reducing risk enough to justify the cost, including price, of the instrument I'm using.

What you said you're doing absolutely qualifies. Tax advantages make lots of transactions economically compelling that would not otherwise be.

I'm guessing a lot of active S&P benchmarked fund managers are waiting for Monday when they know there will be a lot of sellers who were deferring for tax reasons. They're all going to be trying to buy at the same time, and on the same day P/D numbers are coming - what a mess. They had the perfect opportunity to buy well below the S&P inclusion price. How do such foolish people come to manage such large amounts of money?

This is true but it's not the only nail in the coffin. Eventually, LIDAR could drop in price enough that it wouldn't be price prohibitive but the problem that would remain is that it can't see through bad weather like radar can (or even as well as cameras). So it's handicapped from a cost perspective AND a functional perspective.

At most, LIDAR could only play a supporting role in relatively clear visibility conditions. So, if you don't solve FSD with vision, you don't solve FSD.
With modern processing techniques, LiDAR can actually see almost right through fog, snow and rain BUT your point about needing to solve the vision problem regardless still stands. It's also possible to apply similar processing techniques for vision so it's not solely something only LiDAR can do.

Frankly, the FSB-beta already shows that Tesla has practically solved the vision problem and is capable of doing whatever LiDAR is being used for in the other autonomy efforts. The decision-side of things is something else entirely of course but it certainly doesn't seem like vision is the problem with the weaknesses of FSD-beta.

I don't have a ChargePoint account. I charge at home, Superchargers or Destination Chargers. I've never had a reason to charge anywhere else, and I doubt I ever will.

Some State/local facilities (parks, museums, zoos, etc) in my area have ChargePoint chargers that are free. Its awesome to go for a 2-3 hour hike and get some free energy and a front row parking spot. You might want to sign up for a free account so you can get yet another advantage of being smarter than the majority of people on this earth.

But the 2nd half of his monologue was very "Tesla doesn't have a true competitive advantage" talk. BS points he tried to make - Tesla has not secret battery sauce or they would not be using 3rd parties for batteries, Tesla is about to get run over by other chip manufacturers with 10X the processing power for their self driving solutions, blah blah blah. Was a huge letdown that he only had a peripheral understand of what makes Tesla so great.

Guess he doesn't read this thread.
Sounds like Lutz from 2015