Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy New Year's to all!

My wife just realized we have _.6 million dollars in TSLA stock and now wants to sell a bunch.

What do I do?!

Talk to an attorney. Each state is different as to what is joint and separate.
If the initial investment was an inheritance and was kept separate from common funds you might be in the clear. Depending on state.
Elon doesn't lose the company every time he gets a divorce. But that's probably a prenup.

My advice ? RUN !

Disclaimer. I am not an attorney.

Your mistake was letting her know it was that much.
Ha, agreed, I've only showed one of my several accounts to my better half :p

Also, I was going to reserve a roadster when I reserved Cybertrucks Nov 2019. So glad I kept that invested as now that reservation money has been turned into a few SpaceX Roadsters :D

Happy new year to everyone and to all the newbies (yeah, I'm an old fart on this forum from 2011) welcome! There isn't a more better group of mostly strangers that I'd rather hang out with, make crazy money while transitioning the world to sustainable transportation/energy!

It's amazing how many spouses are in the dark. My wife knew we were all in on Tesla a few years ago, but didn't realize what it did to our fortunes until 3-4 months ago. Now she asks to see the accounts once a week or so. Fortunately, she thinks the money is not ours until we take the gains.

Maybe I misunderstand your last sentence, but your wife is correct.

You are a shareholder. There is no money, unless you sell your shares. If there is no money, the money can't be "yours". When your account lists a value for the shares, that's just the last price that other identical shares most recently sold for, not money that is owed to you.

Ha, agreed, I've only showed one of my several accounts to my better half :p

Also, I was going to reserve a roadster when I reserved Cybertrucks Nov 2019. So glad I kept that invested as now that reservation money has been turned into a few SpaceX Roadsters :D

Happy new year to everyone and to all the newbies (yeah, I'm an old fart on this forum from 2011) welcome! There isn't a more better group of mostly strangers that I'd rather hang out with, make crazy money while transitioning the world to sustainable transportation/energy!
Good for you: The folks who paid $250K in Nov 2017 for one of the Founders Series reservations would have $2.8 million if they had instead bought and held TSLA.

Those were very costly Roadsters and they don't even have them yet after 3 years.

I'll mention this again when they begin delivery.

Maybe I misunderstand your last sentence, but your wife is correct.

You are a shareholder. There is no money, unless you sell your shares. If there is no money, the money can't be "yours". When your account lists a value for the shares, that's just the last price that other identical shares most recently sold for, not money that is owed to you.

You're not wrong, but may be just a bit pedantic. That's not how people's brains generally work, so just calling that out!

In any case, Happy new year to all the awesome folks here!! Really a bitter sweet year that we are leaving behind. For me, it was the year of a lifetime!

You're not wrong, but may be just a bit pedantic. That's not how people's brains generally work, so just calling that out!

Considering that stocks don't only go up, that they can also have significant declines, I don't think I was being pedantic. I'm a huge TSLA bull but that doesn't mean I don't know that it's not too far-fetched to recognize the possibility that various macro events, events not even necessarily connected to the company, can cause a high-flyer like Tesla to decline 35% even if the company is performing like a well-oiled machine. If such events also impact Tesla's actual performance, declines could (and likely would) exceed 35%.

So I don't think it's being pedantic for your wife to recognize the money is not really yours until you sell. I don't think it's wise to count your chickens before they hatch. Your wife is thinking about this in a healthy and correct way.

Lots to be thankful for. Appreciative of everyone in this group. Learned more from y'all than my MBA at Wharton. My life has totally changed thanks to Tesla and the community here in cutting through the FUD. It's amazing that as a first generation college student it wasn't an ivy league degree, a management consultant job, or some senior position at a Fortune 100 company that enabled me to have financial freedom...it was research on a single stock.

And the best part? Investing in this company is changing the world for better. Being a shareholder/evangelist of Tesla is probably the single biggest impact I've had on the world since my high school days (where I led a multi-state initiative to increase community service hours by 20,000+). For a moment I was like "is high school really going to be the peak of my life impact?"

But the conversations I have every day with co-workers, friends, Reddit, here, etc. all add up. I am but a drop in the ocean, but what is an ocean but a collection of drops? Each of us are creating a ripple effect. Let it continue forward the next decade.

Happy New Year to you!

Happy New Year!!!!!!

May 2021 be equally as wonderful for Tesla and TSLA, but, without all the other *sugar*. lol

Speaking of which I tried to talk my father in law off the hydrogen nonsense but he’s all in. Sigh. He also said TSLA was going to zero for a decade. Here we are. Now he’s throwing down to Elon. Sigh again. lol

Jim Glickenhaus challenges Elon Musk to race in the Baja 1000

Someone asked about the odds of the share price hitting $800 in 2020. Here's an argument that it could hit $1000. Maybe folks here can poke holes in it.

This post was from a year ago December. How unlikely was that!

Too bad we missed the first target by $100 and the more outrageous target by a whopping $300!

Oh, well, there's always 2021! Happy New Years anyway!

/s

Happy New Year!!!!!!

May 2021 be equally as wonderful for Tesla and TSLA, but, without all the other *sugar*. lol

Speaking of which I tried to talk my father in law off the hydrogen nonsense but he’s all in. Sigh. He also said TSLA was going to zero for a decade. Here we are. Now he’s throwing down to Elon. Sigh again. lol

Jim Glickenhaus challenges Elon Musk to race in the Baja 1000

That's your father-in-law? In any case, it's another example of people taking Elon's words out of context. When he said "success with hydrogen is simply not possible", he was referring to commercial success. As in a hydrogen carmaker. He was not saying you couldn't build a high-tech, multi-million dollar one-off prototype that would be a good racer (assuming the cost of the fuel and equipment required was not an issue).

Last edited:
That's your father-in-law? In any case, it's another example of people taking Elon's words out of context. When he said "success with hydrogen is simply not possible", he was referring to commercial success. As in a hydrogen carmaker. He was not saying you couldn't build a high-tech, million dollar one-off prototype that would be a good racer (assuming the cost of the fuel and equipment required was not an issue).

Exactly. I'm certain they could make this work for the Baja. It'll probably be fine and I wish them well and great success. But the cybertruck comparison is, um, silly to say the least.

Yes. Funny enough his dad, Seth, who was a legit Wall Street genius asked me about investing in Tesla about five years ago at the age of 101. It would have been a massive buy in. I told him all the FUD that I had been told for years and spewed out all the ignorance on why it wouldn't work. If only I saw the light sooner. :)

PS. A special Happy New Year to you, Stealth, who taught me to HODL this year. TSLA almost never seems to go up or down when we expect it and I wouldn't be sitting on Roadsters worth of stock if it wasn't for you. Truly, thank you.

That's your father-in-law? In any case, it's another example of people taking Elon's words out of context. When he said "success with hydrogen is simply not possible", he was referring to commercial success. As in a hydrogen carmaker. He was not saying you couldn't build a high-tech, million dollar one-off prototype that would be a good racer (assuming the cost of the fuel and equipment required was not an issue).

I do find it ridiculous when people say “an EV wouldn’t work if you need to drive 1k miles nonstop” or some other uncommon scenario. Well of course not. Just like a screwdriver wouldn’t be the best tool to pound in a nail. It’s all about using the right tool for the right job. For the “job” of transporting the vast majority of humans on a daily basis, an EV makes the most sense.

I do find it ridiculous when people say “an EV wouldn’t work if you need to drive 1k miles nonstop” or some other uncommon scenario. Well of course not. Just like a screwdriver wouldn’t be the best tool to pound in a nail. It’s all about using the right tool for the right job. For the “job” of transporting the vast majority of humans on a daily basis, an EV makes the most sense.

I legit had a conversation with a guy who said that EVs will only be viable if the battery lasts 30-50 years.

Some people just will not be reasonable.