Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6D5511E6-C280-498A-9CD4-019B7FE17CBE.jpeg

https://twitter.com/ray4tesla/status/1344856187477475329?s=21

Happy New Year's to all!

My wife just realized we have _.6 million dollars in TSLA stock and now wants to sell a bunch.

What do I do?!
That was why you should have had a separate account(s) and invested in NIO.
Now it is too late.
Well, I had to tell my wife that too, so that she would realize that I was rich enough to buy a PlayStation 5 and take a couple days off work to play. Sad.

Reactions: Congo Line
Sell 10 out of the money Calls that expire on Jan 2022 or later (it's called a leap). That'd sell 1000 shares on your chosen date if the price is at or above your chosen amount.
That should give you at least $100K starting at $1000 strikes. Strike is the price you will sell at on the date you chose if equal or above.
If it goes to or over $1000 at the end of the day the Call expires your wife gets her wish and you get more money than you would if you just sold them now.
If it is under $1000 on the day it expires you just get to keep the extra cash and your shares.

It might appease the wifey.

Plus as it approaches the $1000 strike marker you can show your wife and maybe she will change her mind. If that happens you can look for a point when you might be able to buy them back for less than you sold them for.

NOT ADVICE tho.
If TSLA goes way above $1000 say $1100, and her wife asks where does the $200 (well, less the premium) extra profit go, then he will in an even bigger trouble.

Is that for real? I mean, holy *sugar* that's a serious price revision! I am thinking there's going to be a serious demand problem, as in, WAY TOO MUCH demand!
Read the additional comments by the guy. The original price of the Y was designed to not osbourne the Model 3 as it was priced way higher than anywhere else in the world. People were expecting a price revision. Now it's inline and actually 2k more than US pricing.

Read the additional comments by the guy. The original price of the Y was designed to not osbourne the Model 3 as it was priced way higher than anywhere else in the world. People were expecting a price revision. Now it's inline and actually 2k more than US pricing.

Deliveries will start in JANUARY! Huge demand, easier ramp than Model 3 - should be fantastic.

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm thankful that in what would otherwise have been a horrible year, I have set myself on a path which will hopefully lead to an early retirement. We should not forget the many people who have been less fortunate even as we celebrate together on this day. I'm very thankful for the many people here who have offered wisdom, support, and (not) advice the few years I've been here and investing in Tesla. There were times in 2018 and 2019 when I truly despaired and I wondered if Tesla was going to make it over the financial wall and if humanity was going to make over the extinction wall of climate change, and many of you always believed even when the odds looked dismal and the chances of success vanishingly low.

Here's to a better 2021. I'm getting my first dose of the vaccine today, so things are looking up already!

from the MacRumors newsletter:

Analyst: Apple Car Still in Early Stages, Unlikely to Launch Until 2025-2027 at Earliest

The long-rumored Apple Car has been back in the headlines lately, with one report indicating that Apple is targeting production in 2024, but the vehicle may still be many years away from release.

In a research note this week, reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple's electric vehicle is unlikely to launch until 2025-2027 at the earliest. Kuo added that he would not be surprised if the release is pushed back even further to 2028 or later, noting that development of the vehicle has yet to begin in earnest.

Kuo also questioned how successful the Apple Car would be given that Apple would be lagging several years behind competitors like Tesla in areas like deep learning and artificial intelligence. Due to this competition, Kuo said "it's perilous to jump to the conclusion that Apple Car will succeed."

Read Full Article

from the MacRumors newsletter:

Analyst: Apple Car Still in Early Stages, Unlikely to Launch Until 2025-2027 at Earliest

The long-rumored Apple Car has been back in the headlines lately, with one report indicating that Apple is targeting production in 2024, but the vehicle may still be many years away from release.

In a research note this week, reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple's electric vehicle is unlikely to launch until 2025-2027 at the earliest. Kuo added that he would not be surprised if the release is pushed back even further to 2028 or later, noting that development of the vehicle has yet to begin in earnest.

Kuo also questioned how successful the Apple Car would be given that Apple would be lagging several years behind competitors like Tesla in areas like deep learning and artificial intelligence. Due to this competition, Kuo said "it's perilous to jump to the conclusion that Apple Car will succeed."

Read Full Article

duh

That was why you should have had a separate account(s) and invested in NIO.
Now it is too late.
Well, I had to tell my wife that too, so that she would realize that I was rich enough to buy a PlayStation 5 and take a couple days off work to play. Sad.
It's a real dilemma: Figuring out if there's a way to get the wife to ease up on the mental purse strings and not get upset at me for splurging on some new toys, but not shock her with the fact that we own over 6 mil in TSLA.
She knows that I bought a lot of stock a while back and she keeps an eye on the ticker and news, but I don't think has any appreciation for how much we're hodling.

Happy New Year's to all!

My wife just realized we have _.6 million dollars in TSLA stock and now wants to sell a bunch.

What do I do?!

In 2020, for the first time, one of my posts was copied to the merit thread. And @BrownOuttaSpec later added a helpful list of Tesla's technology leads, including links to sources.

Here are both posts together, for anyone who missed them... or for spouses who want to sell now.

For me, figuring it out is easy. Here is the decision tree:

Do you need cash now?
--No. Then HODL Tesla shares.
--Yes. Then borrow cash and HODL Tesla shares.

I suspect that folks tempted to sell shares now are forgetting two facts:

1) This company is historic. There has never been anything like it, with a combination of...
  • genius, workaholic, polymath CEO
  • global braintrust of top-1% engineering talent
  • corporate mission and other incentives attracting more top talent
  • corporate culture driving rapid relentless innovation and improvements
  • multiple, huge, accelerating technology leads
  • vertical integration and talent/tech sharing with rocket geniuses
  • gargantuan addressable markets (global transportation and energy)
  • vast untapped or barely tapped market segments (robotaxis, trucking, solar roofs, virtual power-plants)
  • vast untapped or barely tapped market regions (China, India, South America, Middle East, Africa)
  • doubling product line in the next few years (Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster2, "world cars")
  • doubling (or more) production capacity in the next few years (Giga Shanghai, Berlin, Austin)
  • unlimited future opportunities for the engineering braintrust (home HVAC, air and underground transport, on Earth and Mars)
  • fanatical, evangelical, exponentially growing customer base
  • unprecedented social tailwinds (accelerating climate change, growing government incentives)
Bears scoff at the current stock price and the idea that it will 10x again. "That would be a $6 trillion market cap! When has that ever happened?!" Well, several times in history, adjusted for inflation. But Tesla is making history.

2) This stock has turned a corner. HODLers endured 5 years of price stagnation and some gut-wrenching drops. Some folks might be traumatized and think the stock is still risky. But TSLA's future will not be like the past, because...
  • major index inclusions are incoming (S&P 500 and 100)
  • bond rating upgrades are incoming (if the raters want to be taken seriously)
  • at least 15% of available shares are disappearing permanently into index funds
  • up to 22% of available shares are disappearing likely permanently into benchmarked funds
  • FUD will have no or little effect on those shareholders
  • clueless or dishonest analysts will have no or little effect on those shareholders
  • Tesla's "fortress balance sheet" now has $20 billion in cash
  • all bear theses (unprofitability, inexperience, no demand, competition) have been discredited except excessive valuation
  • this last bear thesis will be discredited by the imminent FSD rollout, blowout Q4 earnings, and new products and production capacity coming next year
  • Tesla is now sandbagging their guidance to consistently beat expectations
FUD and abusive analysts will continue, but clearly they are losing effect. Volatility may continue, but so will the upward trend. The global market is waking up to TSLA. Usually when picking a stock, you must choose between safety and huge potential. TSLA offers both, in my studied opinion.

OMG, great info: Saved it to a notepad for future viewing! It's extremely hard to keep track of everything Tesla is doing, I think you missed a few items in your list of items making Tesla historic :p
When the stock was $100/sh I thought it would one day be a $2,000/sh company (Split adjusted pricing) but now I think even that is way too low. Cant wait for the new numbers from Cathy Wood/Ark to come out! :D