Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this make any sense possibly pending a renewed $7K tax credit???

Who knows when that will pass or what form it will pass in. Congress hasn't even gotten the new covid stimulus passed yet and that should have been super easy to do. If Tesla is at a higher rate of production right now than Q4, do it now and they can always raise prices when the EV tax credit gets renewed.

Reactions: Boomer19
For a company that is supply limited AT THEIR CURRENT PRICE...seems like waiting a few weeks or months to understand the status of the new $7K tax credit seems prudent. We want higher margins, no? You can’t raise it back in response to a new tax credit IMO.

Maybe with all the Gigas coming online, TM3 supply might be softening enough for this move. I am not saying I know better, rather I’m admitting it is counterintuitive to me with what little I know.

I will say this, it sure is bold and indicative of serious strength. The idea of a $29k TM3? Wow. Seriously wow!

Sawyer Merritt on Twitter: "BREAKING: Telsa has lowered the price of the US Standard Range Plus Model 3 by $3k to $36,990 from $39,990. The LR version and Performance are the same price as before. https://t.co/SXDB0TRmlw" / Twitter

Sawyer Merritt on Twitter: "BREAKING: Telsa has lowered the price on the Standard Range US Model Y by $2k to $39,990. The LR version is the same price. The Performance version has increased in price by $1k. https://t.co/6J2S9z3f6Z" / Twitter

Tesla dropping the price on both the 3 and Y standard versions.

Not sure how the market is gonna react tomorrow. We're probably going to have lots of "demand" care bears. To me likely means good things for production rates and Tesla topping Q4 in terms of all time high P/D. Margin though I'd assume is gonna take a hit unless the Giga Presses are cranking out high volume and good yields now.

I am calling Tesla started using CATL LFP cell in Fremont for Standard Range 3/Y.

Sawyer Merritt on Twitter: "BREAKING: Telsa has lowered the price of the US Standard Range Plus Model 3 by $3k to $36,990 from $39,990. The LR version and Performance are the same price as before. https://t.co/SXDB0TRmlw" / Twitter

Sawyer Merritt on Twitter: "BREAKING: Telsa has lowered the price on the Standard Range US Model Y by $2k to $39,990. The LR version is the same price. The Performance version has increased in price by $1k. https://t.co/6J2S9z3f6Z" / Twitter

Not sure how the market is gonna react tomorrow. We're probably going to have lots of "demand" care bears. To me likely means good things for production rates and Tesla topping Q4 in terms of all time high P/D. Margin though I'd assume is gonna take a hit unless the Giga Presses are cranking out high volume and good yields now.
Probably has a near term demand problem most likely due to weather + increase in production. Elon said it himself that people hate picking up cars in super cold weather, hence the seasonality of deliveries.

they can always raise prices when the EV tax credit gets renewed.
I can recollect one or two instances ~2019 when prices were raised. Have there been more instances in the last 5 years?
Going into near future (1-2 years) prices being raised seems much less likely compared to them lowered, even when incentives are announced.

Probably has a near term demand problem most likely due to weather + increase in production. Elon said it himself that people hate picking up cars in super cold weather, hence the seasonality of deliveries.

Thanks for officially starting it off.

*starts inviting itself to homes of everyone it knows to check couches*

If Gordo cries “demand” then SP will go up.

Thanks for officially starting it off.

*starts inviting itself to homes of everyone it knows to check couches*
lol

I would say winter demand for SR is just lower. People want 4 wheel drive for winter roads and no one wants to deal with the already shorter range and slower charging rate thanks to negative temperatures. Hence SRs got price slashed and LR stayed the same.

I agree on the possibility of near term demand.
I would think at some point Model 3 must be made much cheaper relative to Model Y, by reducing Model 3 prices, to mitigate the cannibalizing by Model Y.

Is base Model Y Vs base Model 3 price, the difference in prices, now 1k more than it was before this price revision?

lol

I would say winter demand for SR is just lower. People want 4 wheel drive for winter roads and no one wants to deal with the already shorter range and slower charging rate thanks to negative temperatures. Hence SRs got price slashed and LR stayed the same.

I think it was quite awhile ago - maybe at autonomy day - that Musk said that goal was to produce MORE cars with SMALLER battery packs to increase the number of robotaxis on the road. This could well by associated with that. Someone sat down and said, right now x% of model 3 sales are long range, but if we drop the standard range price by $1000 the share of model 3 sales for the standard range will increase by z% giving us the ability to sell more cars and more stationary storage.

I prefer this version to "demand issues" but I don't have evidence other than "makes sense to me". Makes it a financially advantageous solution to being supply constrained.

Or maybe the semi is launching sooner than we thought, so they need batteries.

I think it was quite awhile ago - maybe at autonomy day - that Musk said that goal was to produce MORE cars with SMALLER battery packs to increase the number of robotaxis on the road. This could well by associated with that. Someone sat down and said, right now x% of model 3 sales are long range, but if we drop the standard range price by $1000 the share of model 3 sales for the standard range will increase by z% giving us the ability to sell more cars and more stationary storage.

I prefer this version to "demand issues" but I don't have evidence other than "makes sense to me"

SR are Tesla's best sellers by a wide margin. Tesla produce more of these than any other version of the Model 3(and soon Model Y), so you need constant high demand to satisfy the massive amount of production compared to the LR and performance. So they would slightly adjust pricing to match production. I don't think Tesla is adjusting price jut to increase SR mix as it's already pretty high compared to the rest of the line up.

that's a lovely price point on the standard range M3 as it'll come in at <$30k with a $7k tax credit if Biden gets it pushed through later this year...

i'm just a boring HODL TSLA forever sort of guy & ignorant regarding these newfangled cyptocurrencies but this article by Jason Perlow at ZDnet presents some interesting ideas about how excess energy from your Tesla solar roof or panels, stored in a powerwall, might fuel the car to mine bitcoins whilst it's otherwise sitting dormant in the garage. Is this realistic?, and if so would it make it economical to then supersize the solar installation on your roof? And if that were implemented at scale across thousands of homes, could it begin to offset the energy intensity that coin mining is criticized for? This stuff seems farfetched at present but if Tony Seba's superenergy surplus comes to fruition someday there'll be many things that start to make more sense and I'd be surprised if Elon's bitcoin and crypto flirtations aren't done in part to maintain this future optionality.

Tesla’s next business: Turning your solar roof and EV into Bitcoin mines | ZDNet

Thanks for sharing. The writer of the article is an idiot. Knows nothing about crypto, knows nothing about mining, knows nothing about Tesla's mission.

It's one thing for Elon to support crypto and to hold crypto. These things existed without him, and would exist regardless of him.

Tesla isn't going to just burn energy in your home just to try and mine Bitcoin. Bitcoin and other proof of work coins require specialized ASICS that are designed for special purposes to mine crypto. The hardware in Tesla's would be taxed 100%, creating all sorts of heat, energy, cooling and warranty issues.

All this effort would be naught as the the ASICS/FPGA/GPU/General Compute CPU's in a Tesla might operate at 5% efficiency (IF that, to mine crypto).

The only way this works is for Tesla to release it's own cryprographic currency that is based on Proof of Stake mechanisms.

Each Tesla owned, would just need to be powered on (low energy) to serve as a validation node.

The more Tesla's a family has, the more nodes there are to earn staking rewards.

Price target = 10,000.