Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be awesome if gas stations were converted to charging stations. A big problem with charging stations today is you can't pull through and charge with a trailer attached, or a bike rack full of bikes on the back, or canoes/kayaks on top of the car unless you unload something/everything.

It sucks to have to remove four bikes (or a trailer) just to charge when traveling. Even worse when it's raining/snowing.
They are in Norway so I'd guess it could happen elsewhere too. Usually a gradual change with both fossils and electricity offered.

Not sure how attractive this option would be. Decommissioned gas stations require a great deal of environmental remediation before they are used for anything else. It's just one more giant problem caused by the fossil fuel industrial complex. Multiply by the number of gas stations in this country and that's a whole lot of buried tanks.
Yeah but gas stations are already strategically placed on well-traveled routes and hooked up to the grid. it would make sense to start adding chargers/converting some of them now.

And even better, yes, let's get rid of the buried, leaking fuel tanks, seems like a win-win to me. I'd rather clean up already existing gas station locations rather than cutting down more trees and clearing more land.

I'm not fanboi-ing but Cathie is speaking extremely well today.
Interesting point I haven't heard: TSLA uses BTC to do business in regions of the world where conversion to fiat is prohibitively expensive.
Thank God, I was worried she was going to start slurring words again and challenging hedges to fist fight!

Tesla building out charging infrastructure in US with some government support / money involved may be good news for the mission and some extra revenue stream, but think of the media / analyst FUD: Tesla being bailed out by government subsidies yet again...
Do we really need that ?
Nobody will be able to make Gordo shut up about it for the next 3 years. :rolleyes:
FUD is FUD. If it's not this, there will certainly be a long list of other things the FUDsters can point to. Tesla should not give one iota of consideration to FUD as it plows ahead into the future. Keep the eyes on the prize.

It would be awesome if gas stations were converted to charging stations. A big problem with charging stations today is you can't pull through and charge with a trailer attached, or a bike rack full of bikes on the back, or canoes/kayaks on top of the car unless you unload something/everything.

It sucks to have to remove four bikes (or a trailer) just to charge when traveling. Even worse when it's raining/snowing.

That's an interesting point. The current parking stall model can definitely be improved upon for many use cases.

I guess I just look at it as a lot of land in prime locations that is going to be ultimately abandoned, much like car dealerships. If you can convert it to something similar without a lot of redevelopment, like how Tesla has obtained existing dealerships, that can keep costs down (environmental rehab concerns raised upthread notwithstanding).

Gas stations also usually have the building for a convenience store / facilities / cafe / lounge, which is slightly more important with a 15-30 minute charge. A "gas station conversion program" on a national level might streamline some of the roadblocks to obtaining the properties, rehabbing them as necessary, and getting utility work done. Maybe it gives gas station owners a favorable out because surely they see the writing on the wall. Obviously would be considered an overstep of eminent domain but either this is a national/global emergency or it isn't.

...Or you just incentivize charger installations so commercial owners want to take up portions of their parking lots with chargers and Tesla keeps doing what it's doing. Money gets it done eventually, but if you want it to be fast, need more than money IMHO.

FUD is FUD. If it's not this, there will certainly be a long list of other things the FUDsters can point to. Tesla should not give one iota of consideration to FUD as it plows ahead into the future. Keep the eyes on the prize.
I would like to see the US Govt build out a Semi truck charging network and establish a DC charging standard with Tesla being the prime contractor.

In my area, I've seen Tesla snatch up two very large car dealerships that presumably went out of business and turn them into delivery hubs/service centers.

I wonder if something similar could be in the works for gas stations. If the U.S. government were to be involved, could there be a program/contract to rapidly buyout gas stations and expedite charger build outs at those locations? The hang-up in quick roll-outs of SC locations has typically been the utility work involved, not the arrival of the Tesla-manufactured materials. I don't know if there's a way to speed that up.

The closest Tesla Service/Delivery Center to me was added about a year or so ago and Google Street View still showed it as the old GMC Dealership last time I looked. It's in Lynnwood, WA.

Out with the old, in with the new!

My local SC took over an old Kmart or something similar when they upgraded. It already seems to be at capacity though so not sure if they planned for enough growth.
Yeah but gas stations are already strategically placed on well-traveled routes and hooked up to the grid. it would make sense to start adding chargers/converting some of them now.

And even better, yes, let's get rid of the buried, leaking fuel tanks, seems like a win-win to me. I'd rather clean up already existing gas station locations rather than cutting down more trees and clearing more land.

Not sure of the actual numbers, but it seems like most gas stations are near where people live as opposed to being along travel routes. EV fast charging will tend to have the opposite need. Most don't need charging near home, but instead along those long routes.

Last edited:
That would be awesome. In Europe, no adapter needed, due to the CCS cable.
I would expect a price higher than for Tesla owners, but lower than Ionity (or other competitors). It’s like free money. To paraphrase a former US president: “We’re going to expand our superchargers, and let the VW owners pay for it!”.
Hm... sounds very likely. If true:
  • Very timely political move: Shows that Tesla is ahead. Almost Instant roll-out. Tons of goodwill.
  • Pre-cursor for getting public funding. Tesla can execute very quickly, so they may take a huge chunk of that market if a public tender is on the horizon
  • As stated elsewhere: Free PR. People stuck in non-Tesla brand can see 2-5 cars coming while still charging.

Extra options:
  • Price it low (but add time of use fee: Let customers from other brands see how much they are being gouged. Let them compare Tesla chargers: Fast, easy, convenient with competitors: Slow, not maintained, not well located, payment trouble.
  • Add star-link: Supply free fast WIFI. All the non-tesla cars might be stopped over for 1½-2 hours - or more.
  • Add small cafeterias, with baristas. No commercials, but info-screens, where people can request more info on Tesla - if and when they feel like it.
  • Use semis outfitted with superchargers/'citychargers' for holiday peak use support. Of course only possible if Tesla can produce a couple of hundred semis quickly, but the rumor mill has it that semi is on the way.
And lastly...
Tesla's mobile payment app will also be a trojan horse for measuring interest and driving sales to other Tesla products. Its is a gateway drug.

Ross Gerber on Youtube with Young Investor:

- Values TSLA at $1000 within 2 years (once both Berlin and Austin are running)
- Valuation excludes robotaxi
- Expects Q1 miss
- TSLA insurance arm basically acts as a broker and will be a profitable revenue stream
- In no one's analysis but can have huge value: Tesla's entertainment network (ie. Zoom integration, food ordering, entertainment apps)
- Thinks Cybertruck will be more of a challenge than Semi due to new process

The rant on Mach E is funny.
- "Gordon hasn't gone down to a Ford dealership to buy a Mach E"
- "One of the hardest things I tried to do is to try and buy a Mach E. The guy at the dealership literally tried to talk me out of buying one."
- "This Mike Levine guy is a MURDERER of the environment."🤣

Even the 13 year old is mocking this Jordan Gordson 0.1 star analyst. "No I don't read his research, I just like making fun of it...endless entertainment."

On Lucid: Good company, car, but they need to make one. Not convinced that scaling will be easy for them. Best position of the upstarts to scale due to battery expertise.
On Fisker: Trying to do a deal with AAPL. May have problems scaling. Some of these legacy automakers are cocky thinking the hardest part is making the car (and not the electronics).

Last edited:
Anyone feel like they understand ratings agencies and their ratings well enough to know what would catalyze Tesla’s rating to rise about junk.

Would being profitable without credits make a difference? I have one of those gut feelings Q1 is going to be pretty awesome and I’m trying to think of things that could surprise and look awesome on the Q1 ER

Reactions: generalenthu
Not sure of the actual numbers, but it seems like most gas stations are near where people live as opposed to being along travel routes. EV fast charging will tend to have the opposite need. Most don't need charging near home, but instead along those long routes.

Definitely true. As with all things, there would be stations ideal for conversion, and those that aren't.

So maybe it can line the Frunk?
Starlink receivers are directional, so if they are to be mounted on moving vehicles then they would need to be articulated to keep signal, I guess much like your TV satellite dish has to be pointing at the satellite and have a clear line of sight.