Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've never used a CCS charger. Are you telling me the steps are:
1) Plug in car
2) Unlock phone
3) Fire up the (correct) app
4) Input charger location
5) Input stall number
6) Pay
?
vs. with Tesla/SC

1) Plug in car

Edit: If that's true and Tesla opens up the network, the SC/smart-adapter experience will be so superior, people will never use CCS again.

Edit2: plus they'll realize how clunky those CCS plugs are

Not used Fastned, but something like....register once, plug in car Autocharge

NB. VW/Audi etc will hopefully get software updated at some point,

Gridserve charging options:-

Contactless cards
Register once, recognises card
[My specualtion:- Probably more via phones/Applepay/Google etc]

It seems the Tesla Bitcoin purchase program almost guarantees Tesla sells their product via Bitcoin mostly at the worst valuation for Tesla stockholders. “Buy low“ is a better program.
Ya my post was confusing, even for me today... Then yours confused me more. Why is now "the worst valuation for Tesla stockholders?

So my new point is that the people with Bitcoin might pull the trigger sooner because.... new reason... they want to show their friends that bitcoin is real. You know, as a self-fulfilling prophecy. "See, I even bought a car with it... you better get some Bitcoin!"

Face it. If someone has $50K in Bitcoin, they're dying to put that into circulation. Buying a Tesla helps this - call it Bit-Flow?

My suspicion, WH reached out to Tesla as they are the only company that can build chargers at scale with solar and battery back up. Government may be extending a huge contract to them to get this done in the next three years and puting the end to the "but electricity comes from coal!" debate. So think bigger, this is bigger. Changing the entire infrastructure.

With 10s of thousands of these micro energy generating stations up and running, Tesla can use autobidder and act as battery back up as well for the grid.
Pretty much has to be given Elon's usual preference for control. Either that or they reached out with a preview of the subsidies and it's so crazy Elon was OK to comply. Elon's super libertarian, but seeing all these Powerwalls get soaked up by FEMA and other govt dollars has to have him thinking about the most rapid means to scale. Sadly, that's likely gonna be something Green New Deal-esque.

I think it's time to liquidate my GME plus a few TSLA shares and rotate into 2022 LEAPs. The scope of these plans could be quite insane once announced.

1) Plug in car
2) Unlock phone
5) Input stall number
6) Pay
?
vs. with Tesla/SC

1) Plug in car

Edit: If that's true and Tesla opens up the network, the SC/smart-adapter experience will be so superior, people will never use CCS again.

No way Tesla will let a 3rd party partner de-sexify their SCs. Just bad press no matter who is under the hood when the article is the guy scratching his head in front of the Tesla stall.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
In my area, I've seen Tesla snatch up two very large car dealerships that presumably went out of business and turn them into delivery hubs/service centers.

I wonder if something similar could be in the works for gas stations. If the U.S. government were to be involved, could there be a program/contract to rapidly buyout gas stations and expedite charger build outs at those locations? The hang-up in quick roll-outs of SC locations has typically been the utility work involved, not the arrival of the Tesla-manufactured materials. I don't know if there's a way to speed that up.

In my experience, you:

1) Unlock phone
2) Fire up the (correct) app
3) Input charger location
4) Input stall number
5) Attempt to release the charger
6) Wiggle charger
7) Check phone
8) Wiggle charger again until it releases once the app is done communicating with the station
9) Plug in car
10) Check charger screen to ensure it is charging
11) Check car screen to ensure it is charging
12) ...charging...
13) Return to car
14) Open app to disable charging
15a) Wiggle wiggle as charger detaches from adapter
15b) Curse as you attempt to remove the adapter from the charging head by clamping it between your thighs
16) Check charging screen to ensure charger has stopped charging you
17) Check app
18) Drive away
Exactly this.

The app i have to use for the local city-charging takes about 30 seconds to start & is laggy as hell.
When i am about 200m away from my car i have to unlock my phone & start the procedure so that i can unplug the type-2-cable & store it in my frunk..

Last edited:
Warning: Electrek ;) 15 Tesla Semi electric trucks are expected to be delivered to PepsiCo this year - Electrek
PepsiCo says that it is expecting 15 Tesla Semi electric trucks by the end of the year, giving us better insights into Tesla’s plan to produce and deliver the electric truck.

Single most exciting Tesla project to me. Won't mean nearly as much to finances at 3/Y or Autonomy or Energy.......but when you see multiple Tesla Semi's passing you each day.........it really strikes that Tesla has made it to the average consumer

No way Tesla will let a 3rd party partner de-sexify their SCs. Just bad press no matter who is under the hood when the article is the guy scratching his head in front of the Tesla stall.

UK Government was insisting on all EV chargers having contactless card abilities & screens. Not sure if still happening, it was talked about 2019 I think, with 6-12 months to implement.

Single most exciting Tesla project to me. Won't mean nearly as much to finances at 3/Y or Autonomy or Energy.......but when you see multiple Tesla Semi's passing you each day.........it really strikes that Tesla has made it to the average consumer

Same but for more selfish reasons. Semi's acceleration means some improvement be it tiny effect on stop and go traffic.

Key Quote: My D.C. sources believe Biden’s plan will include a new uncapped $7.5K EV tax credit, plus an EV charging network.

1616690292184.png

1) Plug in car
2) Unlock phone
5) Input stall number
6) Pay
?
vs. with Tesla/SC

1) Plug in car

Unless the deal is that someone like Rivian or North American ID.4s use the Tesla plug instead of CCS the adapter is still going to be a factor.

edit: not calling that a deal breaker, but on the rare occasion ive used an adapter for my car it has been exceedingly frustrating. granted thats in contrast to how tesla normally goes

I can't imagine anyone other than Tesla should be chosen to build out a national charging network. Step 1 is to allow all other EVs to charge at SCs, and step 2 is to massively accelerate buildout with government help/money.

This would be an amazing and forward-looking choice for the US gov't. I am still expecting them to select GM or Electrify America for such a task, making it dead in the water before it even starts. Pete knows what's up though.