Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was checking out the new gm Hummer reveal and noticed they employed several buttons below the screen (looks like controls on a cassette recorder).
This is ideal for manual driving, but unnecessary if a vehicle can drive itself. Clearly no plans for FSD on this line...

I do believe CyberTruck demand will lose some traction ahead of launch as more competitors are offering that conventional truck look. However, I also don't think for a second that CyberTruck will ever catch up to demand for years to come. Like others here I'm sure, in a year we'll reassess what's available against our Cyber orders and stay the course with Tesla just from price and tech standpoint - the main point for a utility vehicle.

View attachment 650766
No. Looking at it, NO.
This looks like the inside of a police cruiser when the department gives the officer another laptop, and he has his own in there as well...and all the other bull of an outdated ICE. My garage looks better organised.

A propos of @Right_Said_Fred’s response, I’ve re-posted a contribution of mine from a few years back. Exchange David Gelles’s name with Neal Boudette’s and it remains just as spot-on now as then.
Unlike many others who have written here, I do not ascribe more than a passingly small portion of the Times’s animus toward Tesla to fear of loss of advertising revenue from the rest of the auto industry. I have not, I confess, a wholly cogent alternative explanation but perhaps two important factors could be
  • Left Coast - Right Coast rivalry. This certainly exists and there is no reason to presume the newspaper is less susceptible than its hometown city is in a general lamentation of its loss of hyperdominance in just about everything. It doesn’t explain away the attitude of the L.A. Times toward Tesla, but I’ll not explore that here.
  • a reluctance to embrace Mr Musk’s own predilection toward non-traditional means of disseminating information, presenting as it does an existential threat to the paper’s importance. I admit to holding this concern myself, as my own occasional screeds against Twitter et al. will attest.
The NYT is actually very conservative, and complacency colors all their Editorializing and trickles down into their reportage. I observed the same kind of reactive stance while closely following their political reporting over the years. It is maddening to see outdated stupidity assuringly asserted in an article of theirs.
It felt good to cancel my subscription a year ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll
Some of us have LEAPS, (does that mean I'm not a true (all-shares-always-HODLING) TSLA long? Does it make me a bad person?) so we must ponder over the best time to sell the LEAPS we've held the longest and buy others that won't expire till much later. Sadly, the only TMC advice with respect to my strategy of continuously rotating my LEAP portfolio to the latest available expirations (so they never even remotely come close to expiring worthless) while maximizing my total account Delta either:
A) applies to CALLs that expire in what I personally consider to be a stark raving risky short time, or
B) require a level of basic knowledge about puts and hedging well above my understanding of options or
C) never seem to address this very basic, but to me, very essential obvious question
Even for true long term holder, when stock price is manipulated for wrong reason and company proves their provenness, it feels good to see stock price goes up.

Reactions: pdwitt and kanweg
Yeah, I think its actually worse than that: I think they're a bunch of political appointees. At least bureaucrats have to pass a civil service exam. But we have no way to know for sure that these clowns can add (or read). They def aren't on twitter.

The NLRB is trying to point the finger at Elon's tweet as a threat to withhold stock options from unionized workers, when in fact it's the exact opposite: Tesla workers have stock options right now, but would lose them due to UAW policy if they every joined the union.

Maybe that's why 90% of Tesla workers at Fremont voted against unionizing. And that vote was held BEFORE those worker's TSLA options value increased 10x in 2020. How do you think they'd vote now?

The NLRB was desparate to make a headline. They'll get another when they finally lose in court. But Fremont won't be getting a union any time soon.

Cheers!
Would be nice the media applied the same standard scrutinizing Musk's every single tweet to other orgs (including UAW). The world would have been a better place.

By the way, Ford doesn't even manufacture March-E by their "good wage" American union workers. That tells you something.

I lived in a 2-man pup tent for nine months in college, and was very comfortable sleeping on a four-layer cardboard bed.)
Me too. I lived in a tent in Fla with my brother who was a Highschool teacher at my school (100% true). Was his idea, lol. $10/month got us closet space and morning showers at a student's back yard. We even had a horse in the yard who would enter the tent occasionally. It was fine but had some rainy days with wet mattress issues. Builds character and resistance to chaos. It's also good to know the bottom ain't so bad if you can access essentials for life. Do people like camping? There ya go. I recommend living in a tent for a while.

Austin is expected to have 6 of the 6100 gigapresses. I expect the current 3 foundations will be mirrored in the wide column zone to the east that hasn't had concrete or bridge cranes installed yet. IDRA mentioned 9 presses to be supplied. Given ramping of the model Y at Berlin and Austin they may start with half their presses, so 3 and 4 respectively. This could leave the remaining two to be 8000 series gigapresses to be installed at Austin in the area to the north that is currently having geopier work done. Then additional gigapresses would be installed in 2022 as production ramps.

With Shanghai being suupplied with Gigapresses directly from LK Machinery, we could see more of these being installed soon. Large infill/extension works are happening adjacent to the current casting building so there is a chance they could install additional gigapresses to increase production and/or allow for future front body castings.
On the topic of gigafactory foundations: "If you like that, you're gonna love this"
- from South of Phase 1 of GigaShanghai:
Namely a basically, enormous and very deep foundation which has been under construction for a very long time now. Is this for an even bigger Giga press or for something else (video title suggests stamping) ?

People who burn for the Tesla mission will be flexible with working hours and that's what a company that is growing fast needs.
Having worked in a Union environment for 16 years, I see another big advantage to a non-Union shop: you have the flexibility to reassign workers on the fly. In a crunch you can pull workers off one line, and have them help out in another part of the plant, as we have often seen Tesla do. The shop I worked in would not allow you to ask a worker to do anything that wasn't in his job description. Tesla needs to remain agile and flexible, so I hope they can remain union-free.

So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
I bought a dog, this Elon Musk pic, and a pretty sweet house. Still plan on holding the rest of my Tesla shares for a very long time.

Attachments

• DC4FDD13-FDBB-46E8-BCC1-5F9D9FAFB59A.jpeg
    DC4FDD13-FDBB-46E8-BCC1-5F9D9FAFB59A.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 72
I bought a dog, this Elon Musk pic, and a pretty sweet house. Still plan on holding the rest of my Tesla shares for a very long time.
What he didn’t tell you is the dog is made of solid gold. They named him “Carots” and he loans it out to celebrities walking red carpet at Oscars.

So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
I own 3 Teslas, upgraded my house, bought my mother a condo to live in, and helped fund a non-profit organization that is my wife’s passion - providing nutritious meals to undernourished children in Gabon. Mostly though I’m still just hodling.

On the topic of gigafactory foundations: "If you like that, you're gonna love this"
- from South of Phase 1 of GigaShanghai:
Namely a basically, enormous and very deep foundation which has been under construction for a very long time now. Is this for an even bigger Giga press or for something else (video title suggests stamping) ?
The IDRA 8000-series of presses are going to be positively Brobdignanian and requiring of foundations even larger than those for a Thermarest mattress. Is what that video is showing sufficient for one such press? For two?

And why the 8000-series for Shanghai, if that site is for construction of Models 3, Y and 2? Possible answer: Although I think Shanghai never can make sense for Cybertruck, given the likely geographic demand for it, I do think that Tesla will be providing different varieties of its Semi around the world, and Shanghai makes terrific sense for such manufacturing.

I foolishly paid off my P85 car loan in 2014 and installed solar panels- I should have held the shares.

I sold <1% around the S&P inclusion this past Winter.

I did make one frivolous purchase.
PXL_20210403_005428437.jpg
I am hoping to get a nice ranch-style house built and travel more.

My family will be taken care of and I am working on setting up a charitable foundation.

Mostly, I want to hold and be part of this revolution.

Here’s a fun weekend challenge to get us to Monday sooner.....
Who has the largest spread between their cheapest shares and their most expensive shares purchased? Please always adjust the prices for the split to make the math easy...

I’ll go first. Can anyone beat $705.05 ?
lowest is $17.80
highest is $722.85

I got $858.98

$4.64 on 8/22/11
$863.62 on 1/8/21

I am still holding ALL my shares. I committed to leave them to my kids. This has kept me from selling any.
I didn't think I would do this well this quick, so we are talking about selling some and buying a vacation home that would be owned by my children. (And hopefully they will invite my wife and i)😁