Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The IDRA 8000-series of presses are going to be positively Brobdignanian and requiring of foundations even larger than those for a Thermarest mattress. Is what that video is showing sufficient for one such press? For two?

And why the 8000-series for Shanghai, if that site is for construction of Models 3, Y and 2? Possible answer: Although I think Shanghai never can make sense for Cybertruck, given the likely geographic demand for it, I do think that Tesla will be providing different varieties of its Semi around the world, and Shanghai makes terrific sense for such manufacturing.

On the topic of gigafactory foundations: "If you like that, you're gonna love this"
- from South of Phase 1 of GigaShanghai:
Namely a basically, enormous and very deep foundation which has been under construction for a very long time now. Is this for an even bigger Giga press or for something else (video title suggests stamping) ?

Yes, the video is of the foundations for a stamping press in Shanghai. This stamping press appears to be much bigger than the two stamping presses already installed.

This is not to be confused with the Giga presses which are High Pressure Die Cast presses. Those are located elsewhere in the Shanghai plant. The foundations for those aren't nearly as beefy, as is clear from the Berlin and Austin construction processes.

Here’s a fun weekend challenge to get us to Monday sooner.....
Who has the largest spread between their cheapest shares and their most expensive shares purchased? Please always adjust the prices for the split to make the math easy...

I’ll go first. Can anyone beat $705.05 ?
lowest is $17.80
highest is $722.85
Okay, I'll bite
$650.71
My 2011 adjusted cost per share = $5.29
My 3/3/2021 cost per share = $656

Looks like you win on this metric ;)
Don't worry about me - I'm still happy...

How about a competition for the lowest vin# ? (;) just kidding)

Get a good nights rest every1, looks like lot of climbing to do tomorrow ;)

+(The funny thing about Vanguard Index fund is you can keep adding, but once you remove more than once in succession, you get a notice saying cannot manage the fund for 30 days -- so will be looking out for a good point to exit the index fund... for the next dip). Self-managed ALL-IN-TSLA stays intact.

+Spread record holders, better be prepared for buying new ATH's for new bragging rights next time :) ... good luck!!

Go for it!

That's pretty much what I did last month. Gave ~30 days notice and walked away after 24 years of being the sole IT person for a small company. The daily grind was weighing on me. I've now gone two weeks without having to ask anyone, "Did you turn it off and back on again?" 😒 It is quite refreshing.

After doing loads of research I realized that even if I hadn't reached my retirement goal quite yet I could live off of cash from margin (plus Social Security) while preserving chairs and HODLing TSLA for another two to three years. This scheme allows for 10% higher spendable income than the job I left. It was a risk I was willing to take. In a couple of years things may be quite peachy.

Now, the toughest part of retirement is adjusting to life without the daily obligation of working at a job I no longer enjoyed. 😎
@2daMoon, I hope you didn't change your footer on my account. Keep the dream alive.

Reactions: 2daMoon

Get a good nights rest every1, looks like lot of climbing to do tomorrow ;)

+(The funny thing about Vanguard Index fund is you can keep adding, but once you remove more than once in succession, you get a notice saying cannot manage the fund for 30 days -- so will be looking out for a good point to exit the index fund... for the next dip). Self-managed ALL-IN-TSLA stays intact.

+Spread record holders, better be prepared for buying new ATH's for new bragging rights next time :) ... good luck!!
Good night rest, we might not wake up where we fell asleep.

I think we just left Production Hell and entered Delivery Paradise.

Yes, the video is of the foundations for a stamping press in Shanghai. This stamping press appears to be much bigger than the two stamping presses already installed.

This is not to be confused with the Giga presses which are High Pressure Die Cast presses. Those are located elsewhere in the Shanghai plant. The foundations for those aren't nearly as beefy, as is clear from the Berlin and Austin construction processes.

Yes, if we consider Austin, stamping press foundations were more extensive that casting.

I would expect a 8000 casting foundation to be only about 33% bigger than a 6000.

The possibilities that occur to me are:-
  • Casting but bigger than a 8000 (unlikely)
  • Very large stamping machine (most likely)
  • Multiple Stamping machines,
As to what the very big stamping machine could be used for, one possibility that occurs to me is, stamping a car roof as a single piece, specifically a Model 3 Roof.

If we call the current Shanghai in fill Phase 3, it isn't apparent to me what Phase 3 is all about.

The new construction site to the South seems to be Model 2, the extension to the East with the new road is probably shipping logistics.

There is an outside chance that the new extension is building a cheaper Model 3 variant with castings, a structural LFP battery pack, cheaper seats, at metal roof and other cost savings. Whether they can make enough cost savings to make that a worthwhile project is the question, hitting the 25K price target would be hard.

However, I did finally see a good explanation on Twitter for why the 6000 casting machine was installed early at Austin. it could be making the front casting for a Model Y, They can take that casting to Fremont and test construction of a Model Y with a structural pack. I made a few guesses about to why the machine was being installed early, this wasn't one of them,

Bottom line, it is very hard to guess what is happening and why from looking at construction footage.

Last edited:
So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
Sold about 1/2 on S & P inclusion. More than secured my retirement and still have plenty for future gains.

The weirdest thing for me is that I still find myself comparing prices on shoes when I really should just be buying what I want.

Plan is to fully retire post covid and travel to every corner of the world.

Here’s a fun weekend challenge to get us to Monday sooner.....
Who has the largest spread between their cheapest shares and their most expensive shares purchased? Please always adjust the prices for the split to make the math easy...

I’ll go first. Can anyone beat $705.05 ?
lowest is $17.80
highest is $722.85
These are pre-split prices: Lowest $21 and still the bulk of my shares. Highest at pre-split price about $3800.

Oh sorry, you asked for post split? Ok, $4.20 (aha!) to $760. Spread is $754.

The following hits so close to home that I'm going to call it open subject in this thread if others wish to provide their opinions.

No one ever can call me an apologist for Amazon but I'll defend practices that I think are appropriate when and where I see them. I have no problem at all with peeing in a bottle. I have used a pee bottle when traveling not since the pandemic, not for years, but for many decades. It is a terrific way to travel; my condolences go to those whose anatomy makes that difficult.

And I wouldn't mind if those on this forum who are pilots - especially private pilots - chime in on this.

~~~~This is a serious subject; no reason to go full <@banned_poster> with any responses to this~~~~

The following hits so close to home that I'm going to call it open subject in this thread if others wish to provide their opinions.

No one ever can call me an apologist for Amazon but I'll defend practices that I think are appropriate when and where I see them. I have no problem at all with peeing in a bottle. I have used a pee bottle when traveling not since the pandemic, not for years, but for many decades. It is a terrific way to travel; my condolences go to those whose anatomy makes that difficult.

And I wouldn't mind if those on this forum who are pilots - especially private pilots - chime in on this.

~~~~This is a serious subject; no reason to go full <@banned_poster> with any responses to this~~~~
Not a pilot (did fly a bit when I was 16), but I always carry them in the car. An especially great way to stay safe on trips during the pandemic.

You fall down and hit your head?

I suppose I should bite. My cheapest (and second) purchase was at $4.40 post split in 03.15.11. Keep in mind for me there is a forex element as well, the dollar then was crazy weak at 5.6 NOK per $.
My most expensive one was at $641 done at 12.23.20 though the dollar was a lot stronger then at 8.7NOK per $ so the cost for me was much higher.
Me being to much of a bargain hunter I've tried to stay away from any purchases above $650. So my difference isn't that big but I did get in early.

Other than the fact he named it Cybertruck. It's a truck and will do truck things regardless of your one man obsession to pretend otherwise.
He had to name it "Truck." Otherwise "truck" buyers wouldn't identify that it is what they are supposed to buy. Look at all the names he has given the other Tesla Models...see a trend? yeah?
But this time he really had to label it for the "truck" market.

Curious if there is another method than the classic bottle for road trip and camping other than the Dune stillsuit :)

He had to name it "Truck." Otherwise "truck" buyers wouldn't identify that it is what they are supposed to buy. Look at all the names he has given the other Tesla Models...see a trend? yeah?
But this time he really had to label it for the "truck" market.
If it’s not a car
if it’s not a SUV
its a truck

So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?

I haven't done a thing, haven't sold a single share of TSLA yet. In fact I'm still buying more and slowly accumulating.

However, that will be changing later this year when I "retire". Although I'm going to be busier than ever most likely, I'll just be doing things I want for myself on my own schedule rather than some "boss"!

I have shares across two accounts, 75% in my IRA and 25% in my personal TDA account. I'll be living off the TDA shares for the next ten years, selling gradually over time as required. I have other small income streams so I might not even need to sell any of those at all, or very few shares even, but in a pinch I can if needed. I own and love my house and have zero debt, and my living expenses are low and tight so the 25% shares can easily carry me until 60, at which time the IRA shares can easily sustain me for the rest of my life.

I don't plan on buying multiple houses, nor several cars concurrently, nor boats or any "stuff" really. I will be buying a Model Y sometime in 2022, maybe sooner if Biden gives us a nice large rebate for Tesla's again. No my shares aren't buying me things; they are buying me the freedom and time to live how I want at the pace I want, and to pursue dreams and ventures I otherwise couldn't. If those ventures fail and don't earn me any money then no big deal, I'm financially sound!

Of course, if TSLA grows at insane levels and I find myself far wealthier than I expect to then some of these plans could change somewhat. :cool:

A few years back we heard about Tesla patenting a giant machine to cast an entire car frame.

I was looking at it today, and the claim has been "abandoned". Maybe they gave up on the idea after switching to structural packs.

US20190217380A1 - Multi-directional unibody casting machine for a vehicle frame and associated methods - Google Patents

2018-01-18 TESLA, INC., CALIFORNIA ASSIGNMENT OF ASSIGNORS INTEREST
2019-12-30 NON FINAL ACTION MAILED
2020-11-07 ABANDONED -- FAILURE TO RESPOND TO AN OFFICE ACTION

Edit: there is some other related patent here but the system is too confusing for me to understand what is going on. Maybe someone more familiar can explain it.

WO2019143496A1 - Multi-directional unibody casting machines for a vehicle frame and associated method - Google Patents

Last edited: