Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was away for the weekend and see that the discussions about advertising and road taxes from 2020, 2019, 2018, etc. were repeated word by word. Anyone have any suggestions for original subjects?

SNL doesn't count.
What about a trivia on what is going to be the the EPS tomorrow? The winner receives 3 months of unlimited OT questions.

Just kidding, he receives one year of free TMC usage as anti-FUD anxiolytic.

First off, land is not a depreciable asset. Buying / owning land has zero impact on net income statements outside of property taxes or interest costs relating to debt used to purchase the land. Edit: I also believe Shanghai is on leased, government owned land. Any lease payments would be part of costs of goods sold or inventory.

It ultimately comes down to whether or not ANY units came off that production line in Q4 vs Q1. I believe the answer to that is yes. So, Mayur’s comments would be entirely valid.

Same reason that not having a single S/X be manufactured this quarter is actually GOOD for margins. Low volume production is a major drag on margins. Instead, all costs related to that production line would be sitting in inventory costs on balance sheet (as unfinished goods inventory).

So, much better from a reporting perspective to defer production to a period where you can get some meaningful volume so as to present better margins coming off of that production line.
As @The Accountant taught us, CapEx was effectively bundled into the COGS of the Y’s as they were built in Q4, but it doesn’t hit the income statement until the quarter in which those vehicles are sold (Q1 in this case).

SNL is the LEAST of my concerns. They have a long history of taking people who you would never think should be hosting and making it work, with varying results. IMHO, I think it will be an awkward mess as I've never thought of Elon as a smooth talker who seemed comfortable in front of the camera, frankly, I's surprised he's doing it ... but life is short, if asked ... TAKE THE GIG!

I'll watch ... for sure! And if it sucks ... I could care less. Love Elon's "go for it" attitude.

Good luck to all tomorrow ....

Cheers to the longs!

SNL is the LEAST of my concerns. They have a long history of taking people who you would never think should be hosting and making it work, with varying results. IMHO, I think it will be an awkward mess as I've never thought of Elon as a smooth talker who seemed comfortable in front of the camera, frankly, I's surprised he's doing it ... but life is short, if asked ... TAKE THE GIG!

I'll watch ... for sure! And if it sucks ... I could care less. Love Elon's "go for it" attitude.

Good luck to all tomorrow ....

Cheers to the longs!

IMO Elon is genuinely funny at times, with a quick mind, and an offbeat sense of humor...

A lot of his jokes are obvious, but some are very obscure...

When he is relaxed, and has had a good night's sleep, he does perform better.

He isn't taking it seriously, and I don't think we should, it is light entertainment, and a bit of free marketing..
Many people have no real idea what he is like, many of them will start with low expectations... and will probably be surprised on the up side.

The endless debate about Tesla ads keeps missing a crucial fact: Tesla has ads. They abound on YouTube, which is the medium favored by the young and/or smart, rather than network TV that is interrupted every four minutes by soporific commercials for gas cars and prescription drugs.

Some ads were produced by Tesla, some by fans and/or digital media companies showcasing their talent.

But you want Tesla ads on network TV during the Super Bowl. Why, when Tesla can't satisfy demand now? To correct, you say, public misperceptions about issues distorted by FUDsters. Well, fair enough, but do you really think a 30-second commercial paid for by Tesla will change the minds of people who mistrust Tesla? They will likely listen more to folks they respect educating them by word-of-mouth, or by sending them a YouTube video.

So if you think a particular misperception really needs correcting, why not stop complaining about it on TMC and instead suggest the issue to one of the fans/companies who have made great YouTube videos. I would start with Chris Collins, who made this:

I'm probably over reading things here, but I wonder if he did this after a Q1 miss if there would be investor blowback (he should be focusing on business, not SNL!!!). But since Elon knows the numbers, and decided to do this anyway, then perhaps tomorrow will be good.

* grasps at straws *

1619409526065.jpeg

"Night Sam". "G'night Ralph". "Get some sleep. Remember, we've got to be back to work in the morning, bright and early!"

1619409881313.jpeg

"Hey guys, honestly; how much trading experience should I have?"

I'm probably over reading things here, but I wonder if he did this after a Q1 miss if there would be investor blowback (he should be focusing on business, not SNL!!!). But since Elon knows the numbers, and decided to do this anyway, then perhaps tomorrow will be good.

* grasps at straws *
We already know we’re good no need to grasp at straws, even if Q1 is a miss which is highly unlikely.

Some interesting developments around the protestor in Shanghai auto show

Possibility that they are a NIO rep, and that this is FUD taken to another level?
Another level? You mean like Tesla building another factory in China? I'm game :) Don't play their game just keep succeeding.

Also, anybody else wondering why Karpathy is working on Bitcoin stuff and not autopilot? o_O Autopilot complete? Some integration of Tesla's computing/energy generation into sustainable crypto mining? I have no idea what's implicated here but it's very interesting.

Also, anybody else wondering why Karpathy is working on Bitcoin stuff and not autopilot? o_O Autopilot complete?

Karpathy's always expanding his mind by delving into other projects and hobbies. A few months ago he was looking to learn more about biology and cell cycles, etc. I don't think it correlates to AP progress, although it's nice to see him spend his free time on hobbies, probably keeps his mind fresh for AP challenges. But then again, it's not fair for us to see everything as related to Tesla, lol.

* grasps at straws *

I’m in the same boat, Elon not only sees the forest for the trees...he’s got a high speed giga-seedling factory already in the works underground somewhere to replant trees for the many gigafactories to come :)

73BB1CB9-6C31-4B32-92A0-A41C72EA3C05.jpeg

So if you think a particular misperception really needs correcting, why not stop complaining about it on TMC and instead suggest the issue to one of the fans/companies who have made great YouTube videos. I would start with Chris Collins, who made this:

Wow, this is just the video I needed to watch to get just incredibly pumped for tomorrow... A great reminder of this journey! Hats off to the creator!

Some interesting developments around the protestor in Shanghai auto show

Possibility that they are a NIO rep, and that this is FUD taken to another level?
For people who are not able to see the quoted tweet it’s likely referring to this one.

That Chinese protester got into the media day of the show using a manufacturer pass from NIO glass roof vendor. Also she posted images on social media before that was taken from passenger seat of a NIO car.

If this protester was indeed somehow linked to NIO, even if just a owner or fan, then it’s really a disastrous smear campaign.
They usually would be very careful to pick the “user” for these kinds of stuff, so to not link back to who is really sponsoring.
Or, she could be deliberately picked to hit two birds with one stone.