Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't the pools locked with it's present members for the duration of the agreement? I think this first period was until end of 2021? I don't think Tesla can have anyone else join their pool until 2022.

That said I would also be surprised if there wasn't some kind of agreement on how an early withdrawal would be handled. Presumably with some kind of withdrawal penalty. Actually I guess there won't be a withdrawal as such since that won't really make a difference. But they say they won't buy any more of Teslas credits this year. Seems like it's at least possible that Tesla would have some kind of minimum number of credits Stellantis was required to buy. Depending of course if there were other companies Tesla was negotiating with when the pools were formed.

But yes, €300 million this year and presumably €300 million last year doesn't really add up to what was believed to be the EU pools value.

Anyway, who else in Teslas pool has enough EVs to take one third of third of the credits (if Tesla takes two thirds)? Something doesn't add up.
Honda joined the pool last November, so there seems to be some flexibility: Europe: Honda To Pay Tesla For CO2 Emission Pooling

That being said, I'm pretty sure that EU is clamping down on PHEV's, mostly because the claimed emissions are nothing like the real-world actuals, mostly because people buy them to get the lower tax rate, but never bother to charge them. I know in the UK there was a proposal to tax them higher, I would imagine EU will follow

Edit: to add that I think it's pretty unprofessional of Stellantis (boy does that name make me cringe) to bandy this about in an earnings call without having a prior discussion with their partners, an agreement and a joint communication

I don't think those old numbers from FCA call are correct. They must have paid more.

Also, I feel this whole "we don't need Tesla anymore" might even be some kind of negotiation tactic for FCA for the next pooling arrangement.
I gave a disagree because this FCA pool is an EU arrangement only, Tesla sell around 30% of their cars in the EU, so it's normal that only 30% of the credits would come from there. The rest are obviously from the US, which is still the biggest market.

Or is that too obvious? :p

• Informative
Reactions: dgodfrey
Well well well, nobody here here with some news tho cheer up te mood?
Everybody awake in America?
In my mind I hear the legendary Robbie Williams with "Goooood moooorning Vietnam" (substitute Vietnam with America) :)

How about some shake & rattle, a few megatons of it - to cheer you up, hot off the launching pad, yesterday's SN15 successful take off, belly flop and vertical landing test flight. If you're watching the tape, just be patient, the SP will also take off, it's just a matter of time - no miscreants can prevent it any more (IMHO since Shanghai went live, to be precise, as it's outside the SEC, the oil & gas sphere of influence etc.)

1620295274816.png

Last edited:
Since autopilot subscription cost has been discussed earlier we now know a little about how the competition is thinking about this - according to a Top Gear article VW plan to sell customers autonomous driving for €7 per hour:

VW: “we’ll sell you Level 4 autonomous driving for €7 an hour”

So, how much would this cost? “This is all based on profit and cost modelling,” says Zellmer. “If you take the example of Level 4 autonomous driving modes, the cost of installing that into a car is huge: a five-digit Euro figure.

“Who’s going to pay that? It’s not for the mass market. Now take the case that we install that and switch it on and off remotely. Our cost modelling says if we charge €7 an hour for Level 4 autonomous drive mode, this is a profitable business case.
With the current state of VW ID software I'm not holding my breath

A Dana Hull article - seems like she's biting the hand that feeds her a bit there, no?

Tesla learned fairly quickly that there was no point in trying to beat Detroit at its own game. Why pay for a booth at the auto show when you can just hold your own event that generates far more publicity? Why craft a contract with a paid pitchman — think of Ford’s relationship with actor Idris Elba — when you can just use Musk himself? Why hire a traditional communications team when you can just go direct — via Twitter, Reddit, Clubhouse, or via a popular show like SNL?

$30 upward move - any ideas why??
View attachment 659894

Was just wondering the same! (very low volume, so perhaps just a little heavy buying from someone?)
(EDIT: Looks likely the cause was the report by Electrek that Tesla Q2 production is already sold out)

I managed to sneak in a nice little day trade play here (to keep me out of mischief while I HODL) in at 665 out at 680 :D
1620297446959.png

Not expecting this to last though as the MMs will surely have their wicked way with TSLA again for tomorrow's close...

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3
Last edited:
Because TSLA!

$690 right now. OK, I'd like to know the real reason.
Not surprisingly, MaxPain (as of 07:00 EDT) is $690. Any excuse will do when ur a MM. :p

Personally, I favor the clear statement yesterday from German politicians that the reported 'delay' is false, and Giga Berlin will likely begin production in late Summer/early Autumn per the original schedule.

Not sure where Fred is getting his info.

Leaked intenal memo, most likely:

"Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla communicated to employees that production capacity for the second quarter is already sold out with still almost two months left in the quarter."​

Could also explain why Tesla is reeling back Referral benefits (btw also cutting SG&A expenses). There's simply no need to stimulate sales when you're already sold out until at least Summer. And this is BEFORE people see the new Model S.

Cheers!

Last edited: