Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of items market related:

Everything growth has been in the dumpster today, and Tesla is holding up better than a lot of other names.

Obviously there is Tax related selling, and also the news from IB who will be massively increasing the margin requirement for TSLA only accounts by my reading. They have sent a note that says they'd be assuming a worst case scenario of the lowest 20day moving average price of the top 2 largest positions, which I believe puts Tesla in the 160s. It won't be a margin call, but they'll stop you from opening new margin increasing positions.

Obviously one can buy a few deep OTM puts. But it's not clear whether that protection will be useful or worthwhile in your own portfolio management.

Anyways, near term there seem to be significantly more in-the-money puts than calls. As these puts are sold by these options holders, that should create a bit of tailwind towards the latter part of the week.

Such a heartbreaking stock to hold. I don't have much to add here, just watching my portfolio slowly get eroded every day hoping that the winds will change, but never do. I still haven't ventured into Put buying, as history has taught me to stay in my lane as far as Options trading goes. Selling OTM calls seems to have garnered the most consistent results, and so I sit and HODL, selling some Calls every few weeks for lower and lower premiums, but man, the last few weeks have been frustrating as it feels like all I keep hearing is "Next quarter will be better" even though every quarter has been something that few outside of this board thought would ever be achievable five years ago. The FSD tweets are frustrating as well, and discussion around the timeline should just stop, as it's been laughably wrong to date. The progress is happening, but talking about it as if it is constantly around the corner is only hurting credibility.

I'm unfortunately at a crossroads in my own life where I may not have the option to play the long game for as long as I'd like, and that makes it tough to HODL through these times, and I need to remind myself of the spectacular run last year, and just how far we have actually come.

I feel far from alone in this prolonged feeling of malaise, and tell myself to keep on walking through these valleys as nothing has changed in the company, or the mission, but man, these walks get tiring sometimes.

Last edited:
Such a heartbreaking stock to hold. I don't have much to add here, just watching my portfolio slowly get eroded every day hoping that the winds will change, but never do. I still haven't ventured into Put buying, as history has taught me to stay in my lane as far as Options trading goes. Selling OTM calls seems to have garnered the most consistent results, and so I sit and HODL, selling some Calls every few weeks for lower and lower premiums, but man, the last few weeks have been frustrating as it feels like all I keep hearing is "Next quarter will be better" even though every quarter has been something that few outside of this board thought would ever be achievable five years ago.

I'm unfortunately at a crossroads in my own life where I may not have the option to play the long game for as long as I'd like, and that makes it tough to HODL through these times, and I need to remind myself of the spectacular run last year, and just how far we have actually come.

I feel far from alone in this prolonged feeling of malaise, and tell myself to keep on walking through these valleys as nothing has changed in the company, or the mission, but man, these walks get tiring sometimes.
Not trying to sound heartless, but what did you expect when you bought? It's TSLA, not KO.

I think it's pretty clear we need to be doing something closer to the opposite of our consensus logical move.

When we're absolutely certain a blowout 1Q will spike/squeeze the SP..... walk away. When this whole board is miserable for a few weeks and sees no light at the end of the tunnel....leverage!

Lol...what a mess. These hedge fund clowns really executed well so far. Hopefully it backfires soon on FSD, or a split, or at least 2Q deliveries.
... or, Buy'n'Hold. :p

NTSB preliminary report: NTSB Issues Preliminary Report for Fatal, Texas, Tesla Crash

As we already knew, Autosteer was unavailable on the road, TACC was available. Some footage available from the owner's home security camera showed driver entering driver seat before departing. Still pending investigation of the data recorder.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound heartless, but what did you expect when you bought? It's TSLA, not KO.
I have set my positions and expectations accordingly. My frustration centers around my own personal situation where I no longer have years to wait for the momentum to build, P/E to drop and all the good things to fall into place. While I'm fortunate to have been around for the run-up, I don't believe I will be so fortunate to wait another 3, 5 or 10 years for the next leg.

I'm not naïve - I've got 9 years on this board. My original post was simply commiserating over the ups and down of TSLA. No more, no less.

Dipped my toe into the couch for 5 last week @682, felt around for another 5 @642. I won't buy again unless we dip under 600. I still feel like anything sub $700 I'll be regretting I didn't buy later this year.

HODL all 😇

We haven't visited the MA(200) since Spring 2019. It's at about 578 now and on an upward curve with a year's momentum behind it. This would be like ringing the dinner bell.

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-05-10.14-18.png

BTW, notice how the SP transited from Upper- to Lower BB in the last 4 weeks? And how it took 5 weeks to go from the Lower- to the Upper BB previously? Jus' sayin'...

"Lodger's Ten Rules for Investment Success[/I]": (c) 2021 - 3rd Revised Edition​

2. Stocks cycle through their Trading Channel in 4-6 wks; Practice Patience

Cheers!

I normally like to tell my kids what they're not getting in you know...advance.
We had a fairly terrible game-show over here called Bullseye.

Inevitably the contestants failed to win the star prize and the host’s catchphrase ‘come and see what you could’ve won’ has since passed into fairly common use.

I‘ve yet to try it on Christmas morning...... Might have to this year unless TSLA bucks up!