Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is moving forward too fast. Their workforce / culture isn't representative of typical Americans or American companies. This isn't a bad thing, but Biden has to dumb down everything so that more people can swallow it and adapt. I don't blame him.
Looks to me like another spineless politician prioritizing reelection over integrity. The whole thing stinks of favoritism.

Elon's "Aiming for extreme precision with next gen Model Y – microns, not millimeters", after pushing the Berlin suppliers to get their *sugar* together, is extremely interesting.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but I don't see where in a car micron precision is needed.

So it seems it must concern the 4680 battery production system - thus one could extrapolate:
- 4680 production is solved, but will require some damn precise equipment and process control
- 4680 will be soon built in Berlin.

Last edited:
But I thought we established that this was unlikely in the extreme? Is Pelosi going to be fine with a company employing tens of thousands of people in her city getting the shaft?

I'm fine with nobody getting the credit/rebate. I'm even fine with the current status quo.

Will Pelosi be 'fine'? Maybe not. But will she let it go? Maybe. I too want whatever option to be equitable for all EV mfg's. But there is the oil name 'Getty' with some long ties to Pelosi...........and to Governor Newsom. So I am not ready to make a bet that either one will come out fighting hard for an equitable solution for Tesla should Tesla somehow get a lesser deal.

1621371003010.png

It was only just before Covid that a major solar project bid of <$0.02/kWh was received and awarded on a large project near LA. Many here should remember that as it marked 'The' paradigm shift. At that price it literally destroyed all future arguments for Peaker Plants and for Fossil Fuel in California IMO. But when Newsom's response should have been to find funding for the next 100 similar projects ASAP, he instead recommended connecting California to a Utah natural gas supplier to help stabilize and provide more power to the grid if I recall correctly (no pun intended using 'recall' and Newsom in the same sentence).

The cheapest reliable energy and energy storage solutions must win in the long run for any nation to be competitive economically. But there are voices in the ears of people in high places on both sides of the aisle from forces that need a Yuuuge parachute right now..........or a few more speed bumps in the road for TSLA to help slow down the EV semi that is about to run them over. They can't simply count on Fred to write hit piece FUD headlines every time the stock price goes up too quickly.

That doesnt mean they dont switch to Austin while they retrofit the Fremont plant to build the newly designed Model Y and newly designed Model 3 that use castings for front and back and use structural battery pack.

Step 1: Austin begins to ramp up new Model Y production. Once it hits high enough level.
Step 2: Shut down Model Y line in Fremont. Retrofit line for new Model 3.
Step 3: Begin production of new Model 3 line. Once it hits high enough level.
Step 4: Shut down Model 3 line in Fremont. Retrofit line for new Model 3 or new Model Y.

Keep repeating until all lines use new design.
I think their plans are limited by the availability of new IDRA casting machines.
Fremont may eventually need 6 or more machines, for now Berlin and Austin are priorities.

With castings they can definately retrofit factories removing a lot of body shop robots and freeing up space.

The Fremont paint shop is also dated compared to Austin.

For now Tesla can ensure a Fremont Model Y and Austin Model Y have identical specs or if necessary they can temporarily ship some castings from Austin to Fremont.

For the cells they have 4680 production in Fremont which is initially being used to support Berlin. But they can ship 4680 cells from Austin to Berlin. Shipping cells is a temporary phase.

All cars having 4680 structural packs eventually seems certain, but this may take a few years.

Looks to me like another spineless politician prioritizing reelection over integrity. The whole thing stinks of favoritism.
Biden panders to the everyday working class people. Tesla, the brand, is not exactly it. Not one person thinks Tesla as the people's car. Ford is the definition of this as much as volkswagen is for the Germans. So everything here makes perfect sense.

Elon's "Aiming for extreme precision with next gen Model Y – microns, not millimeters", after pushing the Berlin suppliers to get their *sugar* together, is extremely interesting.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but I don't see in the car micron precision is needed.

So it seems it must concern the 4680 battery production system - thus one could extrapolate:
- 4680 production is solved, but will require some damn precise equipment and process control
It’s two cast parts plus a battery. Every other part will have an identical reference point from those, micron is built in. This thing is going to fall together exactly every time.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but I don't see where in a car micron precision is needed.

Nah. It's really probably about the car accuracy. About 3-5 years ago, Elon made a comment that he wants Tesla body measurements to be so perfect that if a ruler shows an undesirable value, it's the ruler that is wrong, not the car.

I think this is about the push to long term increased automation. There were variances in items like bolts and screws that hindered the initial Model 3 automation. Elon still has this extreme automation goal, I believe.

Looks like Biden enjoys EV acceleration. Elon should take him for a ride in his Cybertruck, and the Plaid + S.

President Biden test drives F-150 Lightning: "This sucker's quick!"

I know Orange man isn't popular here but everyone knows he would have accelerated a golf cart harder at Mar-a-lago than the sleepy guy in this union photo op.

Elon really needs to run spoiler and unleash some CT updates.

Last edited:
Do you know when the puts expire and when he would cover? I never said anything about the short term stock price.

So first- you don't "cover" puts that you bought- so that part of the question doesn't make sense.

He bought puts, that's a long, though bearish, position. He owns the puts, he's not short the puts, so there's no short position in need of covering.

If you are unclear on the (somewhat significant) difference between buying puts and shorting a stock, it's explained here:

Hilariously- they specifically use TSLA in their example comparing the two.

Second, what you said was he "has to let us know which OEM is ahead of Tesla."

Which he really doesn't- nor does if anyone IS ahead necessarily have anything to do with his investment decision here.

And when the puts expire or when he'd decides to sell them, doesn't really offer any explanation why you think he'd need to let anyone know anything about other OEMs.

The "it's not for the nevers" means they won't sell many of em.

The vast majority of pickup truck owners never do truck stuff with it.

According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less

Reactions: kbM3
Looks like Biden enjoys EV acceleration. Elon should take him for a ride in his Cybertruck, and the Plaid + S.

President Biden test drives F-150 Lightning: "This sucker's quick!"
That tweet could go seriously viral with a dubbing over of “This sucker’s quick!” with “Thank you Depends Undergarments!”

It might make a great Super Bowl halftime ad for both Ford and Depends too.

Did he lie on stage or purposely bashing Tesla? But saying he is prioritizing people who elected him then yeah, that's kind of his job.
The truth is TSLA is the EV leader in the country. By omitting that truth, he's misleading the American people. Even worse that he gives Ford, which hasn't earned the credit, the favorable treatment. We can argue about the legality and morality and what not until both of us are blue in the face but we both know the guy succumbed to Detroit. That's not what I voted for.