Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to The Telegraph (behind paywall so I have not been able to read the details) Elon spent two days in the UK and that there is speculation of a UK Gigafactory.

"Elon Musk jets in to Britain as ministers seek site for new car factory​

Tesla founder spends two days in the UK, stoking speculation that the electric car company could make vehicles in Britain"

It's a very long and detailed article which includes possible locations and includes the following statement from a government official:

A spokesman for the Department for International Trade, which oversees the Office for Investment, said: “We do not comment on ongoing investment projects.”

It's impossible to reach a conclusion based on the article but the phrase "no smoke without fire" springs to mind.

My opinion.
Tesla will not lose sales to Ford.
Ford will lose some profitable F150 sales to unprofitable Lightning sales.
Ford will lose more profitable F150 sales to Cybertruck

The core problem of Ford (and others) when they come out with EV version of existing product. If they are good then they will siphon off sales of vehicles they need to remain profitable. If they are mediocre then they lose in a big way to electric only car makers.

Revealed : The Ford Supercharging solution. Ford has made it super easy to buy this plug.

1. You simply negotiate the price for the plug & cord individually at the stealership, the same way you did with your "lightening" purchase - ( the salesperson will go ask his manager if your offer is ok while you wait in his cubicle. The back and forth is super easy - only 3-4 hours.

2. You then go to the "business office" where you will be sold undercoating for your "Lightening".

3. You must leave the office and walk back in to repeat Step 2 and buy undercoating for your cord.

4. The whole process only takes 4-6 hours.

Ford innovation. Tesla better watch out. The competition is coming.

1621460645203.png

Last edited:
Not sure why any F-150 truck people would buy this. It's nothing exciting and truck people are not exactly the tree hugger type. With range like that, this is where a charging network is REALLY needed. Looking at the Mach-E charging experience, I don't know why anyone would buy this.

The F150 has huge sales volume meaning there isn’t one type of F150 buyer. They are no doubt a diverse lot with lots of different reasons for buying one. The electric F150 will find a market.

Not sure why any F-150 truck people would buy this. It's nothing exciting and truck people are not exactly the tree hugger type. With range like that, this is where a charging network is REALLY needed. Looking at the Mach-E charging experience, I don't know why anyone would buy this.
The frunk is nice. If you are an in town business this would be great.

With these ranges useless for towing other than local.

As cited earlier, the vast majority of truck owners never tow anyway.

Now, I don't really understand WHY tons of people drop a bunch of $ on trucks they never really use AS trucks, but it seems a lot of folks do.

Now they can do it without paying for gas.

And those ranges aren't hugely different from the base and dual motor cybertrucks currently stated specs... 230 vs "at least 250" and 300 vs "at least 300"...though we obviously expect the final ones will improve on the original #s.

I don't expect these will replace any CT sales- some folks simply were never gonna buy an EV truck at all so they wouldn't buy either... but some other folks won't buy a 'weird looking" one and would never buy a CT but might buy this.... and every single time Ford sells one in place of an ICE F-150, that's furtherance of Teslas mission.

Last edited:
I guess we'll find out tonight whether there are any features/benefits that make the electric version better than the ICE version.

Other than that, the one type of buyer who would purchase this is someone who wants an electric pickup, but prefers this to a CT (or Ford over Tesla). It baffles me, but then again, I'm baffled by anyone who chooses a Mach-E, Audi E-tron, etc over a Tesla.

Then again, I agree with those that think Ford isn't going to be manufacturing/selling too many of these (lack of batteries, don't want to jeopardize ICE sales, understand specs don't match Tesla, etc.), so maybe demand and supply will match.

I guess we'll find out tonight whether there are any features/benefits that make the electric version better than the ICE version.

Other than that, the one type of buyer who would purchase this is someone who wants an electric pickup, but prefers this to a CT (or Ford over Tesla). It baffles me, but then again, I'm baffled by anyone who chooses a Mach-E, Audi E-tron, etc over a Tesla.

Then again, I agree with those that think Ford isn't going to be manufacturing/selling too many of these (lack of batteries, don't want to jeopardize ICE sales, understand specs don't match Tesla, etc.), so maybe demand and supply will match.
I would prefer this to an ICE F150. Frunk, cheaper to run, has onboard inverter. So if I was a Ford buyer I would hold off on any immediate truck purchase. That gives me at least an entire year to get used to seeing the actual CT and if I would prefer that.