Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This graphic somewhat misses the point IMO. These cable programs are starving for content. They desperately want guests that can make comments and eat up a few minutes Air time.

IMO the singular bright light is the frequent SpaceX launches which reflect order and competence so spectacularly.

OT
today 1:29 EST thursday
SpaceX launch

Not sure how Ford could be taking market-share from Tesla, when Tesla sell every car produced...

I realise it's just a false negative narrative they peddle to appease their sponsors (=advertising revenue), but the reality is that the majority of Mach-E buyers are likely existing Ford aficionados, the only market-share being eaten will be Ford's ICEv

These cretins don't appear to understand, or choose to ignore, that there isn't an "EV market", there's the car market and EV's, of all brands, are eating into this
This is easy to calculate, and like all the best FUD, absolutely true. My numbers are totally made up of course, as an example.

Then:
EVs sold: 100
EVs sold by Tesla: 99
Evs sold by Ford: 1
Tesla market share: 99%
Ford market share: 1%

Now:
EVs sold: 200
EVs sold by Tesla: 190
Evs sold by Ford: 10
Tesla market share: 95%
Ford market share: 5%

Look! Ford has taken EV market share from Tesla! There's no denying it.

In order to avoid a feeling of incomprehension, I take the liberty of questioning what is meant by "ALL entering ... aggressively" ;)
”All” may be too far a reach since Honda is still holding back a bit.

Once the EV segment of buyers exceeds the production capacity of Tesla, there is strong incentive to respond to the obvious. Customers are leading in this case.

Yesterday Toyota displayed full electric vehicles (CNBC) while emphasizing their leadership and dominance of the electric segment since 1997. They will have new EVs coming 2021. Late 2021 for Lexus so they say. They are pushing their leadership in electric vehicles since ‘97 hard.

I view this as a capitulation by one of the largest automotive presences in the world. Seems to me there are only a minority left, we‘ll see how long Honda takes.

Last edited:

Once the EV segment of buyers exceeds the production capacity of Tesla, there is strong incentive to respond to the obvious. Customers are leading in this case.

Yesterday Toyota displayed full electric vehicles (CNBC) while emphasizing their leadership and dominance of the electric segment since 1997. They will have new EVs coming 2021. Late 2021 for Lexus so they say. They are pushing their leadership in electric vehicles since ‘97 hard.

I view this as a capitulation by one of the largest automotive presences in the world. Seems to me there are only a minority left, we‘ll see how long Honda takes.
I hesitate between a "like" and a "laugh" rating... Good that they wake up, but has been a long, long time since they had any leadership in EV's

I feel sorry for Honda. Mr Honda was a bit like Mr Musk. Challenger to the traditional auto companies and built a world class company despite efforts of the Japanese govt and competitors to stop him. Honda engines are just a dream to operate and and when Chinese copycats built small engine factories the honda engines are/were nearly always the engine they reversed engineered. To have such a wonderful differentiator and competency made obsolete would really hurt the "soul" of that company. No wonder they are at wits end.

For Toyota it will be the supply chain management. Aisin and others were simply adjuncts of Toyota and the inter-workings and cross held ownership complicate any real attempt to change. I will be shocked in Toyota can move sales of EVs to any significant amount in the next 5 years. They would have to gut 7 decades of relationships and corporate structuring. So to me they can announce it all they want, I am skeptical and defer to my cousins in MO.

80 GWh
"The plant is likely to be located south of Tesla's Shanghai factory in Lingang, Pudong New Area, said the second source, adding it will hire 5,000 workers and manufacture cell-to-chassis (CTC) batteries.

The new technology integrates cells directly onto an EV's frame to increase the energy density of battery systems. CATL Chairman Zeng Yuqun has said electric vehicles could attain driving ranges of over 800 km (500 miles) with CTC technology, adding that CATL aims to launch the technology before 2030.

By comparison, CATL's cell-to-pack technology currently used in Tesla's Model 3 cars gives the vehicles a driving range of around 468 km per charge."

So structural battery packs confirmed. Now I'd love to know if these will be 4680's and various chemistries or just LFP Prismatics like the current MIC SR+?

You guys - I may be spending too much time on TMC. Last night I dreamed I was on stage at an anti-TESLA FUD convention wearing a red Tesla t-shirt. They were dissing the Cybertruck. 🤨

Looks like we’re heading for another buying opportunity today
I no longer have dreams at night. Being here with all of you is the dream.
🤮

The 2022 Toyota CUV electric doesn't look that bad. Subaru also has one coming out on 2022.

"The plant is likely to be located south of Tesla's Shanghai factory in Lingang, Pudong New Area, said the second source, adding it will hire 5,000 workers and manufacture cell-to-chassis (CTC) batteries.

The new technology integrates cells directly onto an EV's frame to increase the energy density of battery systems. CATL Chairman Zeng Yuqun has said electric vehicles could attain driving ranges of over 800 km (500 miles) with CTC technology, adding that CATL aims to launch the technology before 2030.

By comparison, CATL's cell-to-pack technology currently used in Tesla's Model 3 cars gives the vehicles a driving range of around 468 km per charge."

So structural battery packs confirmed. Now I'd love to know if these will be 4680's and various chemistries or just LFP Prismatics like the current MIC SR+?
I have my doubts on prismatic or pouch cells acting as a structural component like the cylindrical cells can and do. I'm not a structural engineer but my understanding is that the structural "can" transfers the lateral stresses more evenly than a rectangular box would. Even if the box were a perfect square, you have weaknesses at the midpoints of the surface furthest from the corners. Similar to maximum deflection in a beam for an evenly loaded application is the largest at midpoint. You may also have a racking component to contend with. Other than severe pain, hemorrhaging, and easier to throw at cars, it's why the egg has evolved as it has.

Tangential rant:
Following the Bolt fire situation, my guess is that because pouch and prismatics are designed to flex internally as the electrodes are not compressed to the degree that they are in the cylindricals, this inherent design characteristic of swelling and shrinking could lead to the distortion and deformation that eventually causes the dendrites to compromise the separator membranes ultimately leading to a short circuit.

TL/DR, IMO, pouch and prismatic cells will become obsolete as an energy source for EV's by 2030.

This is easy to calculate, and like all the best FUD, absolutely true. My numbers are totally made up of course, as an example.

Then:
EVs sold: 100
EVs sold by Tesla: 99
Evs sold by Ford: 1
Tesla market share: 99%
Ford market share: 1%

Now:
EVs sold: 200
EVs sold by Tesla: 190
Evs sold by Ford: 10
Tesla market share: 95%
Ford market share: 5%

Look! Ford has taken EV market share from Tesla! There's no denying it.
Do you all remember when we used to see FUD articles (and specifically with Ford) where they spin the above numbers using rate of change, e.g. "Ford market increases by 500% as Tesla market share plummets"? Those creative FUDsters, so funny!

Reactions: Nocturnal

The 2022 Toyota CUV electric doesn't look that bad. Subaru also has one coming out on 2022.
EVERY SINGLE COMING SOON EV has to be made at scale. ALL these new to market cars need a crap ton of batteries.

If they ever make more than a few thousand ....wake me.

We (the world) needed them to push as hard as Telsa has for years...instead ...well look where we are.
ONE company is doing almost all the work.

Pathetic

They're manufacturing "batteries", not just cells then; they'd have to have the castings there to manufacture them into? Or am I reading too much into this?

Just picked up my first Tesla ever, after being an investor for loooong time:p
Life is good:cool::cool::cool:
And we're just getting started...

IMG-20210603-WA0007.jpg

Boy, the institutional market movers seem to REALLY want TSLA at or below $600. *sigh*

Dan
We haven't had any good Tesla news in forever. Not surprising really. Lots of distractions, supply chain issues, and Elon's timelines are eroding belief. All temporary IMO.

I'm feeling good though because when I start seeing people who claim to like the stock say things like "it's going to drop to $300" that's a great signal that it's about to pop. But here his a picture of me launching my new SeaDoo with the 3. Neighbors were confused and impressed.
unnamed (15).jpg

Last edited: