Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect if the Plaid S had 4680 cells, they would not be so vague and cagey about it. Then there’s the mystery of where all the 18650 packs they have access to and production for are going. Unfortunately, it kinda seems to me this is Tesla cancelling the Model S 4680, and Elon trying to spin it as good news. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

The idea of a 4680 Model S this week is a pipe dream. I have a Plaid+ order. They tried to switch me. Demand is not there for the Plaid. This is another attempt to get us Plaid+ people to go Plaid. I don’t care about the extra range I just don’t want to buy another Tesla that’s not 4680. Feels like buying an IPhone right before the new one comes out. IMHO Plaid+, or whatever they call it, won’t be cancelled and my mind won’t be changed until it’s taken off my account.

If I get a Model S it better have that adjustable spoiler and I’ll wait until it does. I’m guessing they’ll introduce a track package Model S in the Fall/Winter.

I do think the range may be better than anticipated.

I’m hoping they introduce a Ludicrous Model 3 [as previously promised by Elon] at this event. It would seriously help the wait for the Roadster.

I wouldn't draw any hard and fast conclusions yet, we will know more very shortly.

Surprised no one offered up product differentiation as a possible reason for cancellation of plaid+. Yeah, there's a steep jump in price between the formerly available plaid+ and the roadster, but since the plaid S is already so fast, does there need to be a +? I get the range differences, but let's see what happens on the 10th.

Oh, cry me a river.

Things move fast on the bleeding edge. I'm pretty sure it's about 100 times more likely that Tesla changed their plans vs. intentionally misled you.

They were free to clarify their plans at any point over the last nine months. Last week's phone call to me would have been a perfect opportunity. But no, just mind games and coercion to try to get me to voluntarily unorder a product they were getting ready to cancel.

just ONCE in your life i'd like to see you acknowledge when Tesla or Elon makes a mistake. Would that actually kill you?

They were free to clarify their plans at any point over the last nine months. Last week's phone call to me would have been a perfect opportunity. But no, just mind games and coercion to try to get me to voluntarily unorder a product they were getting ready to cancel.
Maybe they knew it would be canceled, maybe not. At some point the decision is made. I get that it sucks, as a customer, but you don't know at all that you were intentionally misled.

Buy a roadster.

Didn't Elon last conference call said volume production of 4680s is a year out?

Based on the number of Plaid being pumped out, it's highly unlikely Plaid has 4680s.
I disagree. The plaid is still a $119k car and will be sold in lower volumes than the $79k LR trim. I think Kato is making enough working cells to supply the plaid. The LR will of course use 18650. And this will allow higher model S production than in the past.

Maybe they knew it would be canceled, maybe not. At some point the decision is made. I get that it sucks, as a customer, but you don't know at all that you were intentionally misled.

Buy a roadster.

Roadster can't haul my family and all our stuff to Canada, or fit a pinball machine in the back. I want the 520-mile family sedan with revolutionary battery tech i was led to believe i ordered.

Overall i'm happy with the P100D, there's no reason i can't keep this a few more years.

just ONCE in your life i'd like to see you acknowledge when Tesla or Elon makes a mistake. Would that actually kill you?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I think Tesla has been absolutely horrible in general with communications this entire year. There may have been many mistakes made, but I can't tell because their explanations for delays etc. have not been helpful.

Let me put this little nugget in here to mess with the reaction scores.

Estimated delivery for my new 3 I ordered back in May is September. Gulf Coast, USA.

On the 74th Anniversary of D-Day I visited all the beaches and took a tour tracking the path of the 101st Airborne's "Easy Company," made famous in"Band of Brothers." It was an incredibly moving experience, especially the opportunity to thank the few veterans of the invasion who still had the strength to make the trip. I stand in awe of the sacrifice of those young men. I wanted to insert a short video (51 seconds) of a special moment at the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer, but that's either not allowed or I simply couldn't figure out how to upload the video.

Way Off Topic:

It's Sunday and the stock market is closed. But this is the anniversary of a hugely important day in modern history.

D-Day - June 6, 1944

When broadcast “breaking news” was truly significant, and not just hourly click-bait.

My late godfather Charles "Chuck" Brooks, long-time editorial cartoonist for the Birmingham News, was part of the invasion and thereafter always celebrated June 6th as a holiday.

I don’t remember Elon specifically saying that, but I do remember Elon sandbagging while the head of their battery production contradicting Elon by saying the Kato line is going well and yield was good. It was definitely a confusing earnings call

Also, you’re talking about a company that will be at a million production run rate by Q3....I’d say making enough 4680 cells for 1,000-2,000 a week Model S’s isn’t volume production
Q1 2021 transcript Apr 26, 2021

Elon Musk
-- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect

Well, so we have the -- and Drew can add to this. But we have the -- a small sort of pilot plant, which is still big by normal standards, expected to have like a 10-gigawatt hour per year capability in Fremont, California. And we made quite a few cells. We're not quite yet at the point where we think the cells are reliable enough to be shipped in cars, but we're getting close to that point.

And then we've already ordered most of the equipment for battery production in Berlin and then much of it for Austin as well. So we really don't flick the nitty-gritty elements. But overall, I think we still feel quite optimistic about this achieving volume production of the 4680 next year. What do you think?

Unknown speaker (probably Drew)

Yes, thanks. Just one thing I would add is there's been a lot of questions about yields. Actually, I noticed people asking about that. The yield progress has been really strong every day, and we were really still in commissioning phase.

We were really still in commissioning phase with most of the tools to the point where we're confident that the yield trajectory aligns with our internal cost projections. We did talk about yield also at Battery Day, which is one of the reasons why it's useful to check in on that. It takes a while, as Elon just mentioned, to go from prototype to production. And it's not just parts.

It's processes, it's equipment. But as we've matured the process equipment, we've gotten to where we need to be on the yield side.

If it is 4680 and more range in Plaid they couldn’t very well tell you without letting the cat out of the bag, could they?

Exactly. No 4680 S for a while.

let’s focus on reality instead.

Do we get any Roadster update?
Ludicrous 3? I presume that waits for 4680 and structural but doubt it needs to.
What other awesomeness will we learn about the S we don’t already know?
Track edition S? That active spoiler..hmmm.
V11 software?
Serious game ecosystem?
Why the larger side cameras?
Etc.

RIP my Plaid+ res but I’m very excited for this week.

WWDC, Loki, and Plaids oh my! :p

If it is 4680 and more range in Plaid they couldn’t very well tell you without letting the cat out of the bag, could they?

Certainly would have been a better pitch than "uhhhh want to switch for no reason? no? okay..."

Also, if 4680 was off the table, they should have made that clear at some point prior to the day deliveries start happening. Why poison a celebration with bad news?

Reactions: Drezil and Criscmt
Thinking a little bit more

I honestly don't think Plaid+ was ever going to be on the 4680s
If it was, then Tesla made one of the smartest decision to cancel it. Yeah I went from hating the news on a technologically achievement standpoint to now a practical standpoint.

It would have been INSANE for Tesla to retool for a Plaid S+ that results in less than 1% of total volume shipment from Tesla. Refresh S retooling took way longer than expected and that's not on a new cell architecture. It'll be crazy to have different cells going into the Plaid S+ vs everything else.

So taking a step back, nothing has really changed. Tesla is focused on getting 4680s into volume production sometime next year with the Y, cybertruck and Semi. . Diverting 4680s specifically to the Plaid S+ is a waste of time and resources, so they were probably not going to do that anyways if Plaid S+ wasn't cancelled. They were just going to add more 18650 cells to get that range.