Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much of this may be related to building the factory in the former East Germany rather than West. My cousin in Bavaria refers to former East Germans derogatorily as Ossis. He refuses to communicate with another cousin who is an Ossi.
I’ve visited my brother several times at his home between Hamburg and Berlin, about 8 miles east of the former border. It is stunning how much the people from the former East were stunted by the Communist era — in terms of education, opportunity, attitude towards work, etc., resulting in many significant differences from those in the hard-charging West. Many say this will take generations to work through. There is resentment amongst some of the latter about the tax surcharges assessed to fund reunification and eastern development, and it is also true that support for the 20th century fascists and 21st century alt right is stronger in the eastern lands.

I'm surprised that more people didn't comment on the image (14:56) of the new (future?) exterior of the Model S from Elon's presentation last night. Did you catch it? ;) You know Elon, he likes to see if we're paying attention.

1623458277956.png

Side-by-side:
Current vs Future?
1623459023673.png

I flew a SAAB aircraft years ago that had cabin wide active noise suppression. (SF340)

When it worked it was pretty good...when it was inop ...man what a difference.

Edit...ok that was poorly worded...the plane was loud as hockey sticks...but the ANR made it tolerable.

Funny aside...I found the Humm of the props ...um...sleep inducing. Had one micro sleep event while taxiing out to runway in Detroit.
If I remember correctly the Saab 340 was the first certified aircraft to deliver with ANR

• Informative
Reactions: Unpilot
I'm surprised that more people didn't comment on the image (14:56) of the new (future?) exterior of the Model S from Elon's presentation last night. Did you catch it? ;) You know Elon, he likes to see if we're paying attention.

View attachment 672395

Side-by-side:
Current vs Future?
View attachment 672404
Looks the same to me - just at a slightly more flattering angle

View attachment 672395

Side-by-side:
Current vs Future?
View attachment 672404
seent it and had to assume it was just a concept image.
My dad is a big graphics guy and concept images never QUITE pan out in production.

To put it to rest, picture yourself in that concept vehicle; can you see out the windows?
This is why I say the Y is the most boring Tesla. You can't see out the back.

• Funny
Reactions: ThisStockGood

View attachment 672395

Side-by-side:
Current vs Future?
View attachment 672404
Looks exactly the same to me, only slightly different angle and no side mirrors or door handles.
I think all Tesla cars would remove side mirrors around the time CyberTruck rolling out.
I don’t see them adding side mirrors to CT just for jurisdictions.
“Physics is the law, everything else are recommendations.”

View attachment 672395

Side-by-side:
Current vs Future?
View attachment 672404
Eh, just looks like concept art to me. Design of cars tends to start out looking wild and then practical considerations cause the car to look more like the car you end up buying. Franz in particular used to do some crazy looking concept car designs when he was with Mazda.

Yes it is still true, because those are still within the existing route segments defined by the waypoints, there is just a little bit of cross segment optimization. The routes still have to be from point A to B and then B to C and then C to D, where the waypoints are B,C. The software already considers the appropriate charging stops along the way, it just has to optimize slightly differently as it isn't considering the next waypoint as the final destination. It's still O(n) complexity as you add waypoints.

Not really because not all Supercharging stops are actually along the optimum route, they are like additional waypoints that are unknown until some energy usage calculations have been done for tentative route solutions.

I've observed this is a bit more sophisticated than what originally meets the eye. I do think Tesla should add multi-waypoint capability but there are some unforeseen complexities. Not unsolvable complexities, but definitely more than meets the eye if the product is going to be as reliable and good as what we already have. This is because some waypoints are unknown (supercharger stops) until after some route solutions have been analyzed. Then routing to those Superchargers could change the original route solution. And the charge level of one stop is not known until the next leg is computed so, depending on where this puts the battery in the charge curve, it may no longer be the optimal solution.

Sometimes a problem seems utterly trivial until it is explored more deeply. The trick is to make it look simple to the user while returning sophisticated solutions that work in an optimal manner. Ideally, the user can also edit the proposed solution and see the resulting impact to charge and travel times.

Three weeks until Q2 delivery numbers come out. I have no doubt we will be higher on July 2nd then we are today. The question is do we start climbing next week, or stay flat for two more weeks. And more importantly, how high do we go? I'm hoping for 700 by July 2, and if the numbers are as good as we expect, 750-800 by earnings. Your predictions?

You and others have wondered why I was so confident. Another poster in another forum was in attendance and had a chance for conversations with Tesla engineers. I do not have permission to quote him verbatim and it's invitation only. So, my source is hearsay and not admissible in court. However, this person has been very reliable.

There were a number of other discussions including NVH and that those 2170's were in a newly designed pack, but that the pack was NOT structural. The new li-ion 12v battery was designed by Tesla (they did NOT say it was made by Tesla, so it may or may not be)

Separate comments from other attendees who also were talking with TSLA engineers seem to suggest that the improved efficiency and performance were dozens of small improvements plus the motors, a very big deal.

I hope we have direct statements coming soon, including from my source.

I tend to believe your source without even knowing who it is. I base this mostly on Elon's mannerisms when he was recounting the improvements of the new Model S and he said "New battery pack" and kind of smiled inside while doing a brief stutter and moving on quickly as if he was leaving some goodness to seep out in coming days.

These are the subtle type of clues one might get from the presentation being done by Elon instead of a paid presenter. It doesn't mean anything in and of itself but it's one more data point that would not be there with a hired presenter.

Not enough Superchargers for travel are a much bigger impediment to sales than the laws. Texas has the second largest Tesla population next to California. But actually I'm after more north of Texas (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska, etc.). The Texas laws are mainly annoying for Tesla and barely inconvenience the Tesla customer.

That's true, but it sounds like you are not in favor of Tesla taking hostages to achieve their mission more quickly?

P.S. I think you also missed the ;) .

Reactions: jerry33
Also from Rob's Tesla Daily video, informative ref to a TMC (!) note by Omarsultan in the Model S Delivery Update Thread Wiki :
"
  • Elon was really pumped when he got out of the car on-stage. No sure how well that came across on the live stream, but it seemed a very triumphant moment and it was moving
  • It seems like he saw the rest of the slides for the first time while he was on the stage--kinda par for the course--he's better speaking that presenting
  • Something cool and important. There were a lot of Tesla folks there that worked on various aspects of the car (aerodynamics, electrical, interior). Everyone was super thankful to the folks picking up cars (we had different color badges). I know folks here feel Tesla is sometimes apathetic and that is understandable, but the folks I chatted with this evening were thankful for our business
  • More than one person told me more deliveries are happening this month and next before the ramp Elon referenced in his talk. No one had specific info LRs (good or bad)
"
Including his photos from the event showing in particular the carbon sleeve that enables the 20,000+ rpm rotor and how yoke driving feels. And, nice touch, apparently ea of the Plaid MS delivered at the event had a complimentary Teslaquila bottle.

Last edited:
I think I did my part today. I recruited a buddy of mine to join my practice recently and when he visited, we were talking about the Plaid announcement. After a long discussion, he felt that plaid S was not right for him and the CT better suited for his needs. He was amazed at the performance of the trimotor S and felt that the CT trimotor was an absolute bargain. I agreed. He ordered the cybertruck on the spot w the whole shebang. trimotor CT w fsd.

Also from Rob's Tesla Daily video, informative ref to a TMC (!) note by Omarsulan in the Model S Delivery Update Thread Wiki :
"
  • Elon was really pumped when he got out of the car on-stage. No sure how well that came across on the live stream, but it seemed a very triumphant moment and it was moving
  • It seems like he saw the rest of the slides for the first time while he was on the stage--kinda par for the course--he's better speaking that presenting
  • Something cool and important. There were a lot of Tesla folks there that worked on various aspects of the car (aerodynamics, electrical, interior). Everyone was super thankful to the folks picking up cars (we had different color badges). I know folks here feel Tesla is sometimes apathetic and that is understandable, but the folks I chatted with this evening were thankful for our business
  • More than one person told me more deliveries are happening this month and next before the ramp Elon referenced in his talk. No one had specific info LRs (good or bad)
"
Including his photos from the event photos from the event showing in particular the carbon wrap that enables the 20,000+ rpm engine and how yoke driving feels
I take it the Clubhouse notes were from Sawyer........yeah practically none of those happened. Amazing to see his "source" were that far off.

I take it the Clubhouse notes were from Sawyer........yeah practically none of those happened. Amazing to see his "source" were that far off.
Sawyer has no "sources" he straight up makes things up and it's growing increasingly tiresome. He and some other Twitter idiots were the ones hyping up the event as more than what everyone should have expected. I mean it was billed as the Tesla Model S Plaid Launch event and that's exactly what it was, for better or worse. People were expecting FSD release, Cybertruck info, Unicorns Dancing on Rainbows, and God knows what else.