Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Elon said moats are lame, not that Tesla didn't have them.
Your post made me think: moats can exist not only by a company deliberately creating them, but by the competition not bridging them, either due to ignorance, incompetence, or hubris.

The barriers currently exist, but not from Tesla attempting to stifle competition, but the rest of the industry being laggards.

my investor perspective here is this would toss enormous sums into Tesla’s coffers [indirectly] but I’m less clear that means long-term advantage since it should buoy competitors that we may have preferred to struggle. I can see it either way. Since the market has limited long term visibility and likely is more optimistic about competitors than we are, I would think it would be happy about boosts to short term numbers.

It's important to remember that, with sales of BEV's only amounting to much less than 2% in 2020, the primary competition of Tesla is still the 98% of sales that are ICE vehicles. Each new Tesla takes one ICE vehicle off the road. Even when that Tesla is replacing another BEV, that replaced BEV most likely goes into the used market to replace an ICE vehicle.

The number of non-Tesla BEV sales in the US is almost insignificant compared to the number of ICE sales so EV's are not really Tesla's competition (no matter how hard the media tries to push that narrative).

I came across this photo of a tarped Cybertruck last night. Real or fake, I'm not sure. I don't know much about this YouTube channel, but I believe they were at the Plaid event and do collaborations with Brooks from Drag Times. Is Tesla sending out a few trucks before the next unveiling?
Yup, here’s one in FL back in March

A101F04E-2F6D-4511-A66D-C1B36FAABE18.jpeg

Reactions: ThisStockGood
Regarding margins on S Plaid, unless I'm misinterpreting, the car uses three AC induction motors, none of the Model 3 style PMSR. Depending on CapEx of the winding machine and per unit cost, these may be cheaper than the PMSR version.

Quick rundown (further tech discussion deserves a thread)

Key clues from Tweet:
Copper rotor
Coaxial cooling

Supporting data:
High power
High RPM
Quiet (no torque cogging)
Efficency (due to torque sleep)

AC induction makes the dual rear motor packaging simpler by removing the tail shaft mounted encoders. Other cost savings are elimination of the magnets and stacked laminates.

It will be interesting to find our how they eliminated the rotor heating issue. Could be a design change, or it could be the up sized radiator Elon called out along with new heat pump (still running in AC mode) loop design lets then send cold enough coolant into the motor to offset the heat generated.
This would also allow more aux heat generation from the motor, if needed for cold weather operation.

View attachment 673546
It also may explain some mileage/efficiency differences.

0-100 kmph in 3.2 seconds 😅
210 kmph top speed 😂
450km range 🤣

€1 million 🤪

A €1 million glorified Volkswagen built on a 10 year old ICE platform that can barely keep up with a model 3 performance, that you could only by from VW in Germany if you wore green pants on a Thursday when it was raining and sunny at the same time.

Wonder why it didn’t sell?

And the ones who work at Tesla often are not exactly correct. Even at Plaid event it seems some engineers were giving different information that were others. Further, almost all of that was word of mouth, which is notoriously unreliable, mostly without intent to deceive.
If they were truly an engineer and talking about the engineering they did, it is gospel and you can take it to the bank. However, unless you heard it directly and you yourself are an engineer, you may inadvertently hear or understand something different than what they were saying.

Engineering is hard.

AC induction makes the dual rear motor packaging simpler by removing the tail shaft mounted encoders. Other cost savings are elimination of the magnets and stacked laminates.

Wouldn't stacked steel laminates be less expensive than a copper rotor? Yes, the magnets cost more but a copper rotor can't be much of a cost savings.

Regarding margins on S Plaid, unless I'm misinterpreting, the car uses three AC induction motors, none of the Model 3 style PMSR.
You are misinterpreting:
1623764769419.png

The new S&X don't use any induction motors.

One interesting thing an engineer said at the event is that China is using hairpin windings and that the US would be transitioning in the future. (This is one of the things that Sandy Munro has complained about the Tesla motors, he thinks they should use hairpin windings because they are more efficient and use less copper.)