Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really not that big most people are in an area the slightly less than that of TX and California, just full of people. Of that really the key areas are very dense in terms of where to market. That's good in a way but also a challenge. Half of Chinas population and 90% of wealth is in an area roughly the size of California (numbers may be off but I'm just making the point) so if you feel that the average owner/driver is the best marketer of Tesla than it is not a dispersal issue. Again, good and a challenge too.

I would not lightly dismiss the challenges facing Tesla in the short or long term in China. Eyes wide open. EU NA SA India Middle east- lots of easier places to sell. Heck even Japan and Korea.
I should have been more clear that I was referring to the tremendous population. But it is no slouch in size either:

#CountryTot. Area
(Km²)
Tot. Area
(mi²)
Land Area
(Km²)
Land Area
(mi²)
% of world
landmass
1Russia17,098,2426,601,66516,376,8706,323,14211.0 %
2Canada9,984,6703,855,1019,093,5103,511,0226.1 %
3China9,706,9613,747,8779,388,2113,624,8076.3 %

It is actually a touch larger than the US.

Not dismissing challenges in China at all. But I will stick with my original point; the Teslas on the ground create demand. There were times in the US as well when it seemed like demand was slowing. But the cars already sold were seen and felt and the demand exploded. I am betting this will continue. The product cannot be denied IMO, outside of FUD and outliers.

Edit: I seem to remember that the continental US and Alaska together are slightly bigger and as such the 3rd largest country in the world, but eh, guess things can be measured in different ways.

Here's some investor discussion for you. The growth story should be shock and awe. The 50% YOY growth target achieves dominance eventually, but most of the growth comes after the mid-2020s. The risk with this is that mid-decade, the EV space will become territorialized by whoever is able to capture it. I think an installed capacity of 10 million is appropriate for 2025.

The way to achieve a truly awesome growth rate is ABR: Always Be Ramping. At no point do you want the actual production to come close to the intended capacity, or that means that you are constructing factories too slowly. For example, let's say that you finish ramping Texas and Berlin at the end of 2022. The annualized production rate is now 2M vehicles. But you have not opened any new factory in 2022. Despite the incredible growth, there is little prospect for growth in 2023, because you are not ramping anything.

I want to see land purchases, factory plans, and supply chain projections for installed capacity of 10 million in 2025 followed by a 1 year company-wide pause at that level to regroup, then resume growth at a more sustainable pace of 25% to reach 30M by 2030. I really don't care if this means building their own semiconductor fab, mining operations, etc. Also, the idea of a two-phase growth rate provides an easy "out" for Musk, who will no doubt want to shift his entire focus to Moon/Mars.

Tesla vs. Everybody: A 1000-Mile Race in 11 EVs

Kind of the a$$ whipping that I expected. They spent a lot of time on the other’s challenges….I’d loved them to show just how many overlapping SC options all the Tesla drivers really had…making it so easy for the win and demonstrating the end zone spike this really was.

If the videos aren't amazing over the weekend does the stock hurt monday? Kinda feels like theres a lot on the line. Could also prove Elon right. Im just not sure how much what we see over the weekend matters, my excited self says this weekend is going to be huge. But my guy says itll be another nothing burger to the stock as it seems no matter how good news is it doesnt matter right now

If the videos aren't amazing over the weekend does the stock hurt monday? Kinda feels like theres a lot on the line. Could also prove Elon right. Im just not sure how much what we see over the weekend matters, my excited self says this weekend is going to be huge. But my guy says itll be another nothing burger to the stock as it seems no matter how good news is it doesnt matter right now

Honestly the market will probably be more impressed by the existence of Tesla’s ride-hailing app, which is obviously trivial in comparison to solving real world AI.

But in all seriousness, they want to see a direct route to monetization that can be plugged into models. Until then, everything is speculation about what Tesla *could* possibly do once FSD is solved. Yes, actually solving FSD (i.e, we’re now fully L4 and here’s the data to prove it and transfer of liability to Tesla) will be a market-moving event, but until then everything is just progress towards an end goal which is not necessarily guaranteed, so maybe not drastically market-moving.

So the market-moving events with respect to FSD are IMHO:
1) Demonstration and description of ride-hailing platform, costs, plans for rollout, etc. Lame, but market wants to see it.
2) Solved FSD as indicated by Tesla’s data and/or willingness to assume liability while vehicle is autonomous.

Well that’s my point - as much as I approve of the Model Y SR (will be buying one myself once it gets released in NZ), Tesla would not have released it yet if demand for Model Y LR was still strong enough in China to soak up available production, that obviously is no longer the case. This was always going to happen at some point (there are only so many buyers in China for the higher priced LR model) - I am just surprised it happened in only the 2nd quarter of Y availability. Compare it to North America where the model Y has been available for 5 quarters and every model is LR or P and they still can’t meet demand.
Woot! Two in one day. You just want me to be richer. Well, okay then.

The Fud we talk about today doesn't have the impact they want.
But way back when they started talking about the Roadster Iwas FUDized. I only listened to the TV at the gym, and the "News" made think Elon was a quack by simply emphasizing that he was going to build a car powered by laptop batteries.
I don't think I took elon/Tesla serious for the next 7 years.
They got me way back then.

The Fud we talk about today doesn't have the impact they want.
But way back when they started talking about the Roadster Iwas FUDized. I only listened to the TV at the gym, and the "News" made think Elon was a quack by simply emphasizing that he was going to build a car powered by laptop batteries.
I don't think I took elon/Tesla serious for the next 7 years.
They got me way back then.
With so many Tesla on the road, it's hard not see them or know somebody with one. As they continue to saturate, people will continue to have evidence literally all around them to contradict the FUD....These giga factories (payed for by legacy automotive- thanks!) can't ramp fast enough!

Does anyone know what this might refer to? It's a piece of paper left on some of the 'Temp Fremont Lot' S' windshield.

Might have something to do with why they are still there?

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.29.24 PM.png

Question for you FSD analysts.....once FSD can be officially L4, and the liability transfers away from the occupant/"driver" (to Tesla/insurer), does Tesla insurance then offer you a monthly discount for using FSD vs driving yourself since it will be XX% safer?

I guess my real question is are we sure when official L4 arrives that insurance goes down not up?

Does anyone know what this might refer to? It's a piece of paper left on some of the 'Temp Fremont Lot' S' windshield.

Might have something to do with why they are still there?

View attachment 682834
“FDU HV bracket” = front drive unit high voltage bracket?

Just a guess. The part about brakeline containment is… 🤔