Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 26CB48B0-4283-40AE-A582-9CBE990670CB.png
    26CB48B0-4283-40AE-A582-9CBE990670CB.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
You aren't getting the point. FSD should be priced at whatever price maximizes revenue.

My point is that number ($10k up front or $199/mo) is way too high. Probably 90%+ of owners are going to pass on that, and the number of owners that will pass on that will only grow larger as Tesla penetrates downward into the price ranges too.

I guarantee if they lowered the cost by some percentage, the number of subscribers would increase by more than that percentage, increasing revenue.

Honestly, they have full ability to charge whatever they want and set the market price. The value of the offering includes no other viable competitors for FSD and vehicle platform and is first to market with lvl5.

Why do you think that? Tesla has a clear mission. They aren't shy about saying what it is. At no time has it ever been about maximizing revenue. And, even though it's not the mission, Tesla has been quite vocal about maximizing safety. So this revenue thing may be your point, but there's no evidence that it's all that relevant to Tesla. You are much more likely to understand things, and make a more convincing argument, if you concentrate on what FSD pricing works best to "accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy".
Is a price of $200/month the optimum for maximizing safety? Could a higher uptake increase safety?

I don't really agree with the comments about the subscription model being a positive and negative. It's just simply a positive when it comes to profits/earnings for Q3.

- The take rate on FSD hasn't been that high to begin with. It would be different if the FSD take rate was at 50% or higher. Then you could say that there would be a material hit to profits in the short term from that 50%+ of new customers deciding to not buy FSD in favor of the subscription going forward. But the FSD take rate is like 20%.

- I think new potential customers aren't swayed by this announcement in terms of whether they were always going to chose to buy FSD outright or do the subscription and thus I don't see the take rate for buying FSD really changing that much. I don't see consumers that were set on buying FSD with their car purchase in Q3 being swayed to do the subscription now. Essentially if you were already planning on buying FSD and factored that cost into it, then you were fine with the cost up front (and likely realized you would be paying more long term under the subscription plan)

- Thus The vast majority of the people that do the subscription will not be converts from people who switched from planning to buy FSD instead of subscribe, but customers who have simply been waiting on the subscription model to begin with and/or people who have orders in that were always going to do subscription.

- Then add in the massive uptake of already existing tesla owners( roughly 80% of them) that have chosen to not buy FSD, whether they have just been holding out for on the subscription ( which will add close to 100% revenue recognition instead of the roughly 50-60% that a FSD bought order can be recognized) or they were waiting on all the features to be functioning.

- Then add in that Tesla has 2 and half months to release that button, at which point they can recognize a huge amount of deferred revenue that is 90%+ profit for Q3.

- When it comes to Q4, once the button is out and the masses can start to experience FSD/Vision, I expect the take rate to explode for the FSD subscription, maybe even see MORE orders for FSD bought outright, due to more people seeing Tesla Vision in action for themselves and the functionality being much more than what someone can get out of FSD right now (not the beta users)

- Thus I don't believe there will be a drop in profits/earnings/margin in Q3 or Q4 from Tesla releasing this subscription model and I see huge upside to both Q3 and Q4 if Tesla can release the button before September 30th.

Last edited:
And yet a few days ago I received an email from Tesla promoting Powerwalls as protection against blackouts with a link to the solar panel page. Maybe a new source for batteries is coming soon?
There was this post a few days ago by @ZeApelido. Someone decoded that the 65.6% is the US homeownership rate. So yes, maybe a new source for batteries coming soon.

When selling a car with FSD to a 3rd party, why would you not be able to recoup the entire cost of the FSD or at least what the current cost is to purchase the FSD? Elon has mentioned that the cost for FSD will continue to climb.
Just what I was wondering….
Say a potential buyer, who is interested in buying a used Tesla with FSD.
Assuming all other things being equal….

Car A has HW3 and NO FSD
Car B has HW3 and INCLUDES FSD

How much more is car B worth to the buyer? They could buy car A and pay Tesla $10K to make it equivalent to car B….

So, if car B is $9.5K more than car A, the potential buyer saves $500. Certainly monthly subscription adds a wrinkle to this, but it seems to me that FSD ought to maintain value well.

In UK, something like 22% of households/drivers don't have off-road charging ability. Many single garages aren't big enough for any but the smallest cars.

Summary - 22% of UK drivers will have options to charge once a week or so soon-ish. That's enough for most to switch to EVs once awareness/FUD is overcome.

[ *I've seen figures below 7000 miles - but choosing a slightly higher figure. MEDIAN (most common) is UNDER 6000 - Total Car Check - The lowest cost car check in the UK!]

So they will need to charge from lights/plugs on street, at work, fast chargers (not ideal), shopping, gyms, Gridserve-type Electric Forecourts, FRIENDS & FAMILY etc.

Taking an average mileage of around* 8000 miles/12874.75km (Average Annual Mileage of Cars in England is Down – Are We Really Driving Less?). Assuming 200 miles of range (pick own number) means 40 FULL charges a year or one a week should be fine. Add some destination charging & much less needed. Charging at work should add 12mph*7.5 kwh gives 90 miles - so plenty in UK for most

Gridserve are going for 100 Electric Forecourts (similar number to 124 Postcode prefixes, which might give an idea of availability to UK people), others will do similar, "end of July 2021 there will be free 7kW EV charging bays at 400 Tesco stores. At selected stores there are free 22kW chargers and (chargeable) 50kW rapid chargers" - Tesco Supermarket/VW/Pod-Point (just 4 per location on the few I looked at on zap-map, hopefully more later or at other locations) - Tesco Partnership | Electric Charging | Volkswagen UK (just hope there will be enough)
Seems like if FSD could take the car to a supercharger, charge (via snake charger or similar) and return home….well there’s some more FSD takers!

It used to be 50% recognition upfront but I believe it was changed to 60% last year when the Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control feature was released.
Once Autosteer on City Streets gets released, I believe Tesla will be able to recognize the full 100% on new purchases and will also unlock the remaining 40% from the previous buyers which sits on the Balance Sheet today as Deferred Revenue.
Thank you.
Needless to say, looking forward to your numeric take on this development :cool:

• Love
Reactions: goinfraftw
Ford does know how to make cars at scale so they don't have to learn how to do something it has taken Tesla a decade to learn- you make it sound as if that is bad for Ford...

... Of course the original Model S, X, and 3 were not nearly as elegant as the Y so we are comparing 5 EV vs Fords first true EV. I continue to think that Ford is the best of the legacy firms ...
I think it is clear than in that decade of Tesla "learning to make cars at scale" they have proved that, in over 100 years, Ford never in fact learned well how to make cars at scale. Nearly every aspect of Ford's vehicle designs are inelegant, overweight, costly, unreliable and inefficient. They always have been and all indications are they always will be. The thermal system is just one tiny part where they are way behind. Currently they're even further behind on the car body (yes, the car body! the thing that's been part of every car since the beginning) in everything from the factory space required, raw materials, number of parts, number of steps, amount of labor, crash performance, etc.

I would agree that Ford is the best of the U.S. legacy firms but basically no legacy firm has ever been willing to re-think what they've been doing wrong forever and there is almost no indication any of them ever will. I gave you a disagree for saying "Ford does know how to make cars at scale". They really don't and never did. They were just one of the best of all the know-nothing manufacturers.

I decided to take some time and look through some twitter accounts that I haven't looked at in a while. Man for someone that seems pretty smart on valuation metrics, financials, etc....it's amazing how clueless Gary Black is. Just amazes me sometimes.

His theory and math to go with it on Year 1 of Subscription model in regards to P/L in this tweet makes my mind hurt since it's so uninformed and clearly lacks an understanding of a subscription model.

The buy rate for FSD is NOT going to go from 20% to 0 in Year 1. I don't think it will dip at all due to the reasons I listed in the post above, but let's say the buy rate % goes from 20 to 10. Now add in the massive uptake in overall FSD take rate due to subscription consumers that are already current Tesla owners that have not bought FSD. Then add in the deferred revenue that can be recognized. The end result is profits will not be less in Year 1 of subscription model.......they will in fact be higher and potentially much higher.

He also seems to think that at $200 for the subscription, that overall take rate (both bought and subscribed) won't improve. I'd gladly make a wager on that assumption.

Last edited:
Considering the number of people I see on a daily basis running reds and stops signs; it should be a mandatory cost for every single one of them.
That probably depends on where you live. I’ve personally almost never see anybody run a red light, and have probably done that myself only once (because I didn’t realise there was a traffic light, and the traffic was such that nobody got into danger).

When you add to that the warnings on trips that prevent you from falling asleep and prevent you from crashing if you do fall asleep, then that's a yes. Fear of falling asleep (I caught myself a couple of times) was the big incentive to switch from the 2013 S to the 2020 X.
Ask to Tiger Wood...

Re: Gary Black and FSD subscription. Zach Kirkhorn mentioned in the earnings call "there could be a period of time in which cash reduces in the near term." I assume Zach and his team have done the modeling and that the medium term financial benefit for the subscription model will be much better than the status quo (pay up front FSD).
I'll take Zack and the Tesla team over Gary Black all day long. Gary is an educated and experienced clown (ie. For entertainment and amusement purposes only.)