Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Sawyer Merritt, the cargo space on both Y and 3 have been increased by 8 cubic feet. No explanation how this was achieved
I heard a rumor that they hired Harry Potter, now I understand why ! ;)
1627005489376.png

Tesla received more than 860,000 new energy credits in China in 2020, the most of any car company, valued at RMB 2.58 billion.

@The Accountant

Do you think these might've already been accounted for in prior quarters, or at least some left for this quarter?

EDIT: I overlooked the below key part from the article when I first posted the message. Apologies for not spending enough time going through the full article before asking a question @The Accountant

Chinese automakers can trade their credits now, with a centralized trading deadline of Aug. 31, according to a document released by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) dated July 15.
Vehicle companies that generate negative credits in 2020 should submit a report for offsetting their credits and a transaction filing agreement through the management platform by Aug. 31, according to the document.

Thanks @StarFoxisDown!

If you’re going off of the wording in that article, Tesla only just now got the ok to sell the credits. So this credit revenue will show up in Q3
Agree with your assessment.
Also want to point out that Tesla has this wording in their 10K:
"We recognize revenue on the sale of automotive regulatory credits at the time control of the regulatory credits is transferred to the purchasing party.."

So my guess is that the credits transfer to the buyer(s) between July 15 to Aug 31 (the deadline mention by the article) . . . . .
. . . . . . and likely to VW.

@Criscmt

The maxpain graph I can see tonight makes it seem as if the MM's really will shoot for $649.99. The calls and puts at $650 are right on top of each other with the calls having more volume. This is as tight as I can remember. Couple that with low volume trading all week and what is going to happen tomorrow will be entertaining. As will any change at opening in maxpain.

I typically sell short puts -below- max pain, because I would rather be a little more conservative for less premium.

I have 650's short puts for tomorrow - my belief is we will rise above that.

People ought to be buying tomorrow and not Monday if they have any belief in Tesla's Q2 earnings strength.

If not... they can assign them to me and I will just wheel it into calls.

Observing other tech earnings, good results seem to be rewarded in Q2. This is in contrast to Q1, where all earnings, good or bad was sold off.

The company that went down, stayed down and deserved it is NFLX. That growth story is done, they might as well start paying dividends now.

Not really true on skylights, there are plenty of ways to allow in natural light and be highly insulative - not only does it meet their mission it would have a beneficial effect on worker productivity to be exposed to daylight deep in the recesses of a factory.
Yes, I can see the headlines now:

"Tesla Irradiates Workers to Compel Productivity" ☠️

"Tesla Bathes Workers in Carcinogenic Rays" :eek:

Algos are you listening? Scary, scary stories right here. Facts and reason don’t enter into it. Isn’t that right shorts?

I rarely disagree with you but you are missing some key points:-
  1. S/X and Roadster will establish that EVs are clearly superior to ICE, helping sell all models.
  2. S/X and Roadster are the perfect platforms to try new parts.
  3. The business is profitable and is a good use of Fremont and the Fremont workforce.
  4. S/X and Roadster don't necessarily slow progress in other areas as they help recruit engineers. *1
Things like Plaid drive, and perhaps some other parts and innovations in the new Model S, might eventually find their way into lower priced high volume models.

S/X and Roadster mean Tesla doesn't need to drive the cost of a new part down to low numbers before they can use it in cars...

*1 While having the best high end products does consume some engineering talent:-
  1. Learnings from those products can be later used in mass market products.
  2. I believe these products inspire and excite young engineers, helping them to decide they want a career at Tesla.
And you’re missing the key fact that I said by the end of the decade, a full NINE years from now.

If we haven’t convinced enough people by then that EVs are better than ICE in every way and the only choice, we are done. The whole planet. Have a good look around at what’s happening. We’re in big trouble.

Secondarily, I believe the enormous delay with S and now X and the cancellation of the other S variant is because Tesla has too much on its plate already and not enough quality bodies to execute.

Bigger change is needed, faster than it’s happening.

We’ll see what happens. 👍

According to Rob Maurer, the NHTSA is accepting comments about getting rid of side view mirrors and replacing with cameras.

This comment period expires tomorrow at midnight EST so I encourage you to get on it ASAP. This rule change could be a pretty big deal for ev ranges (including my future CybrTruck) and will ultimately save lives via fewer collisions. Heck, even gascars would be more efficient without mirrors.

So, the link in Rob's video takes you to a description of the testing NHTSA plans to conduct and you have to follow a link from there over to Regulations.gov to actually make the comment. It's a bit of a hassle but it only takes a few minutes. Love to see this rule changed!

Thanks everyone!

And you’re missing the key fact that I said by the end of the decade, a full NINE years from now.

If we haven’t convinced enough people by then that EVs are better than ICE in every way and the only choice, we are done. The whole planet. Have a good look around at what’s happening. We’re in big trouble.

Secondarily, I believe the enormous delay with S and now X and the cancellation of the other S variant is because Tesla has too much on its plate already and not enough quality bodies to execute.

Bigger change is needed, faster than it’s happening.

We’ll see what happens. 👍
I hesitate to wade into this, but I‘m inclined to think Tesla will have vehicles in the S and probably the X segments for quite a while. They may even be exporting them to Mars (before the Mars factories are up and more for use in the tunnels than on the surface). I wouldn’t be surprised to see them still around when they’re teaming with SpaceX to make space yachts.

Tesla can’t abandon S and X anytime soon even if only for defensive reasons. That is, they don’t want a competitor to have an unimpeded opening to use the same strategy that Tesla itself used to in Elon’s Master Plan.

Also, the S and X may still be amongst the best battery wrappers while Tesla is battery constrained.

Looking out to 2030 and beyond, Tesla’s plate will be much bigger.

If you think about it, Elon’s approach has been to give people more. Contrast this with the success of those who have asked people to voluntarily choose to get by with less. Not that there isn’t virtue in people reducing consumption—just not a lot of evidence that many do it much if they don’t have to.

Finally, the vehicles in the premium segments may be appreciably different in 2030 and beyond. There will of course be people with the money to spend on them too.

Reactions: gabeincal
I'm hoping the refresh reduces some of the issues with the X and makes it easier to build and perhaps cheaper. People love big SUVs and the Cybertruck will probably not appeal to suburban moms.
Yes. I’ve seen several comments about S/X and making more efficient vehicles to save the world. EV adoption is still strategic. Early on, Elon realized that EVs didn’t need to look strange or compromise. The MS proved this. The US loves big SUVs and big trucks. Those are the vehicles that legacy is pumping out for large profits with large emissions. Creating large and functional EVs will be part of the strategy to eliminate ICE. I think maximizing aero design will always be necessary, but there’s absolutely a market for large EVs that are reasonably efficient.

MKBHD has his plaid first impressions up:
All pretty good impressions, much better interior material, fit and finish, everything.

Only thing he is not happy about is the touch buttons on the yoke, not the yoke itself. Mainly the buttons are easy to accidentally brush on. Also hard to hit without looking, especially the horn. He said if the yoke has click buttons instead of touch buttons, it would be perfect.

Now I want one…but I don’t need one, and I have a new X on order…but I want a plaid S now…want…

Last edited: