Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fires in electrical switchboards and transformers are relatively common and can be very severe. There is a huge amount of electrical current flowing in and out of these megapacks. All it would take would be an incorrect termination, a faulty relay or switch installation to cause a short circuit and resulting arc fire. So it doesn't have to be the megapack itself that starts the fire, although that is definitely a possibility. Any fault in manufacture or the installation of a big battery is likely to show up during initial testing. I'd be more concerned if this occurred after commissioning when the installation was fully operational.

By the way how much does Wall Street value the energy business anyway? I thought it was close to zero.

Like the “mistake”with that Plaid that caught fire and was rolling down the road…? Yeah, I wonder what happened with that executive, maybe he got burned, by the short he was holding… ha
So let's generalize and always blame others for any future problem -- without even trying to understand what the problem might be? Tesla supporters should accuse Neoen, a company whose mission is 100% aligned with Tesla, because something completely unrelated happened to Tesla in the past (by the way, you do not know what happened with the Plaid either...).

This is sooooo dumb and the very things that makes TSLAQ downright evil.

Even with a dry electrode there is just as much potential energy in the battery. I have a hard time believing dry electrode cells are not flammable. Hopefully they improve the resistance to catching fire but I would be shocked if they eliminated it.

While it's always good to improve the products we use, lowering the flammability is not that high on my list since it's currently not a significant problem. Certainly much less so than ICE vehicles.
@Chunky Jr.
Indeed @StealthP3D:
The electrode is a different part of the cell than the electrolyte.
Dry electrode is a manufacturing change from using a solvent based wet slurry to apply the anode and cathode materials to the metal backings and then drying them before assembly to a dry application and no evaporation step.
Either type of electrode manufacturing would still use largely the same electrolyte in the cell which is currently a flammable (and water reactive) liquid.

Just finished placing some aggressive "fire sale" buy orders for tomorrow in case the fire FUD or whatever other Bullspit FUD is being gets some temporary traction. I am not expecting them to hit, but just in case...

This strategy has surprised me with some extra chairs at decent prices; a number of times before.

Not advice.
You expect to grab them in the 630s like 2 days ago?

People should study orders of magnitude. For example, today the U.S. Senate will begin debate on a $1 Trillion infrastructure Bill. Yesterday, there was a million dollar fire at an industrial site. That's a factor of 1 million difference, or 7 orders of magnitude.

That's the same as comparing the size of a person to the size of the planet:

length-continuum.svg

Big > Little. Learn to take advantage of the innumerate (buy the dip). Not Rocket science, just a little math.

Cheers!
I'm not buying this morning, but selling, puts that is 😄

Last edited:
Interesting analysis. This guy has some good original charts from time to time.

I see so many posts passing by about what analysts are thinking.
Maybe Stephenson is a wrong example for me to use here, but please remember all those years we were convinced that they didn't have any clue what was going to happen with TSLA.
And they sure didn't.
And now, when the stock price is for some time staying at the same level, we are looking at them again?
Leave them be. Read the other posts here that inform you about what really is happening.
It cuts the nonsense and you will know where we are heading.

I won't assume anything without evidence, but arson seems a possibility. Tesla has many enemies who want to slow down the disruption of their industries, maybe by any means necessary.

When a Falcon9 rocket blew up on the launch pad years ago, I wondered if someone with a high-powered rifle shot it from a mile away. One small bullet hole might be tough to find in the blasted-apart wreckage. The same seems possible with a Megapack. Maybe Tesla needs to encase them with that bulletproof steel used for Cybertruck.
Arson seems unlikely as it's a pack deep into the system that caught on fire. If it's arson then I would say parameter packs would be on fire and more than one pack.

This is most likely due to an electrical component that blew causing a fire since they are likely to fail at the first phase of testing. No big deal really and a learning opportunity for Tesla.

People should study orders of magnitude. For example, today the U.S. Senate will begin debate on a $1 Trillion infrastructure Bill. Yesterday, there was a million dollar fire at an industrial site. That's a factor of 1 million difference, or 7 orders of magnitude.

That's the same as comparing the size of a person to the size of the planet:

length-continuum.svg

Big > Little. Learn to take advantage of the innumerate (buy the dip). Not Rocket science, just a little math.

Cheers!
Agree with the point here. But wouldn’t that be 6 orders of magnitude, not 7?

This is most likely due to an electrical component that blew causing a fire since they are likely to fail at the first phase of testing. No big deal really and a learning opportunity for Tesla.
Having had a career in service management, I would respectfully comment that anytime your product catches fire it is a BIG deal. Some fundamental design requirement needs a review I would think. There will be corrective actions resulting from this as there should be when a product is under continuous improvement.

Completely agree it is a learning opportunity. 🙂

Maybe Stephenson is a wrong example for me to use here, but please remember all those years we were convinced that they didn't have any clue what was going to happen with TSLA.
And they sure didn't.
And now, when the stock price is for some time staying at the same level, we are looking at them again?
Leave them be. Read the other posts here that inform you about what really is happening.
James is stellar, but I agree with your points about WS analysts.

I mean… The number of analysts who think the lack of S/X deliveries in Q2 signals a demand problem is baffling. 10 minutes of research would reveal the vehicles were/are undergoing a refresh.

And they sure didn't.
James is a long Tesla investor. I respect him quite a bit. He is very sharp, no-nonsense, and is among those that does stuff like the accountant.

Having had a career in service management, I would respectfully comment that anytime your product catches fire it is a BIG deal. Some fundamental design requirement needs a review I would think. There will be corrective actions resulting from this as there should be when a product is under continuous improvement.

Completely agree it is a learning opportunity. 🙂
Oh I mean in the context that it's not a big deal to Tesla energy as a business. Of course Tesla will put this incident through a microscope to prevent it from happening again, either being software or hardware related.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Oh I mean in the context that it's not a big deal to Tesla energy as a business. Of course Tesla will put this incident through a microscope to prevent it from happening again, either being software or hardware related.
Of course this will get FAR more press than the coal power plant in the US that just got on fire.

James is a long Tesla investor. I respect him quite a bit. He is very sharp, no-nonsense, and is among those that does stuff like the accountant.
James's professional background is working on company financial statements and business valuation so he knows his stuff and adds a lot to the Tesla investor community.