Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know how many here can truly say this, but I have already 100% invested in TSLA since a long time.
Minus real estate that I was able to buy from part of the profit I made.
When every advisor said I had to diversify.
So "Buy more"? I would if I could.
Advisor called me late last year and and said:

Advisor: "We do periodic reviews of high worth accounts and noticed that you have a lot of risk leveraged in your portfolio"
Me: "Uh huh"
Advisor: "We can preserve this for you and have some recommendations on how to diversify"
Me: "My account has 10x+ this year so now you wanna talk to me?...what are your returns"
Advisor: "If you would like more info, please call 1-800-xxx-xxxx"

🤯

It all makes sense now....We will 'try to achieve' 50% EV sales contingent on the Govt' providing $$$$ to help us:

1628176611618.png

Well, he first was honest; ‘I don’t know.’

Or maybe he wasn’t honest and he does know?

I don’t know. But it’s a gaffe for the administration and *we* shouldn’t let it go. We can make a huge stink and at the very least embarrass the administration. I’m actually a bit surprised our boy there even asked the question.

We probably should make a huge stink about it right now.

There's a reasonable chance this was just a political 'testing of the waters' to see how big the backlash would be if the upcoming bill treats Tesla differently from the big OEMs. Public reaction means a lot in political circles. They like polls too but real world reactions to real actions are even better.

UAW would certainly be beneficial for Tesla. Just look at the last union meeting in Freemont in 2010. Tesla would no doubt be boosted by the productive culture that was on display there. /s
What's wrong with this?
It certainly reminds me of my physics classes where we studied Entropy and the disorder in individual atoms movement (i.e. all over the place).
And we all know that "physics is the law everything else is a recommendation" so that display of high entropy looks good to me :)

Reactions: SOULPEDL and AndyH
The decisions around this meeting all comes down to getting their party getting re-elected. Unions in battleground states like Michigan deliver the votes, so let the pandering begin. Tesla doesn't matter because their workers are mostly in CA. It's not about jobs or the mission or the environment, only maintaining power, which is the only thing either party works towards once they have it.

Well, he first was honest; ‘I don’t know.’

Or maybe he wasn’t honest and he does know?

I don’t know. But it’s a gaffe for the administration and *we* shouldn’t let it go. We can make a huge stink and at the very least embarrass the administration. I’m actually a bit surprised our boy there even asked the question.
I'm surprised by your post. Perhaps I am the most cynical poster here. I think I'm younger than the average age here. I've grown up seeing man-made global warming accelerate, despite knowledge of it and the causes, because of human greed. Politicians are whores and serve the highest bidder. Media is the same. But nearly every day I see the Shocked Pikachu meme in this thread. "Car and Driver must be embarrassed", "I can't believe the New York Times wrote that", "Wall Street still hasn't figured it out", and now you writing, "it's a gaffe for the administration".

No, these people aren't making mistakes. They're not all stupid. This is all intentional, because greed has more power over them than caring about the future of the Earth's environment and humanity's survival. We have the technology today to almost stop using fossil fuels. We don't have actual leadership to do the right thing in the political realm.

Part of the problem, part of why we as a species are in danger and still not moving anywhere quick enough, is that so many people keep believing that help is coming from the gov't or that the media tells the truth. The media has zero obligation to report the truth in the USA. That law was removed in the 1980s. The media exists to make money. Truth is irrelevant. The truth will be told if that furthers their money making agenda. There is no trust found in any major media outlet because there is no truth in any of them. Evidence of this has been shared repeatedly in this thread for years.

/rant

Now wish I had a few cookies, one for me and one for you.

The Biden administration is not perfect, but just imagine where the mission would be if the other guy had won the election, and if his party had taken one Senate seat in Georgia. There would be no bill supporting EV infrastructure. There would be no hope for an extension of the EV federal tax credit. All of those automakers would still be fighting California's regulations. We'd be drilling for oil in the Alaska wilderness right now. The gas pipeline from Canada would still be under construction. The EPA would still not be doing its job. Etc etc etc.

I suppose it didn’t escape Elon’s notice that Pfizer/BioNTech prospered significantly (production expansion and efficiency, and profits) by not participating in the so-called Operation Warp Speed Covid vaccine program until very late (to expedite supplies). If you can self-fund and accept the risks, most companies are better off not getting slowed down by government processes.

Last edited:
It all makes sense now....We will 'try to achieve' 50% EV sales contingent on the Govt' providing $$$$ to help us:

View attachment 692430
That's a disgrace. 50% by 2030?? FC?? PHEV?? Fording morons. Those companies deserve the bankruptcy they will reap.

There's a reasonable chance this was just a political 'testing of the waters' to see how big the backlash would be if the upcoming bill treats Tesla differently from the big OEMs.
Isn't there a right to equality in the USA, comparable to our Belgian/European anti-discrimination laws (most constitutions contain this), allowing Tesla to contest any bill that would treat them differently without valid reason?

I mean, over here any bill that would for example state that tax benefits only go to companies with unions, would be shot down instantly by the GH ("Grondwettelijk Hof" in dutch, ~= "Constitutional Court" in english).

I wrote my own scathing letter explaining how recent actions have abruptly made me question my tendency to vote democratic. Thanks for the convenient link!

The Biden administration is not perfect, but just imagine where the mission would be if the other guy had won the election, and if his party had taken one Senate seat in Georgia. There would be no bill supporting EV infrastructure. There would be no hope for an extension of the EV federal tax credit. All of those automakers would still be fighting California's regulations. We'd be drilling for oil in the Alaska wilderness right now. The gas pipeline from Canada would still be under construction. The EPA would still not be doing its job. Etc etc etc.

It’s like waking up from a nightmare and then having to deal with the real world.

Far better than the nightmare but still full of crappy realities.

Isn't there a right to equality in the USA, comparable to our Belgian/European anti-discrimination laws (most constitutions contain this), allowing Tesla to contest any bill that would treat them differently without valid reason?

I mean, over here any bill that would for example state that tax benefits only go to companies with unions, would be shot down instantly by the GH ("Grondwettelijk Hof" in dutch, ~= "Constitutional Court" in english).

I don't think it's uncommon for federal contracts to limit funds to domestic companies using union labor. The U.S. is often 'free and fair' in word but not in deed. That doesn't stop the U.S. from arguing loudly for 'open markets'. :rolleyes:

View attachment 692430
This is about being re-elected so that policies that further the transition to clean energy can move forward (much too slowly). The alternative to some forward progress is none at all. OEM's are attempting to put the squeeze on taxpayers, but screw em' let them fail. It may take a little longer, but we can make all the cars needed (with the Chinese and Koreans) if we have to. We don't know what will be said in Washington behind closed doors, but if Pete and the Administration are smart, they would use Tesla as a cudgel to beat the heck out of the OEM's to get moving or die.

MOD:
Far too much this morning in the way of posters wanting to get their particular political digs in; not controlling their tempers and writing garbage, and so on.

===>If you can’t behave like adults here, why should Moderators give serious thought to re-creating ANY kind of “Politics” thread?<====

That's a disgrace. 50% by 2030?? FC?? PHEV?? Fording morons. Those companies deserve the bankruptcy they will reap.
Given consumer preferences and what technologies could be developed and installed on manufacturing lines in the 8.25 years until the 2030 model year, doesn’t this translate into something like 30%-35% BEV (half Tesla?), 5%-10% plug-in hybrid (excludes ordinary hybrids?), and <1% other? This seems like a stretch target even with a crash program of government funding which is politically unfeasible.