Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is if this is supposed to reflect the seriousness, then why is the fine only $30M (peanuts to large corporations) and why aren't the executives and union leaders in jail?

0e1np2wouw061.jpg

Currently Ship # 15 is loading at Shanghai. We've now reached all time high for number of ships in a quarter, with probably another 1-2 ships to go before the rest of production all goes to local China sales.

Keep in mind, every single 3/Y made in China and sent to Europe is much higher margin than what was shipped from Fremont and all of Q3 Europe deliveries will be China made.

I'm openly starting to wonder to myself how high margins will go on Q3 earnings. The combination of all China made Europe deliveries + S sales + all Fremont production going to US which means lower logistical costs + US Model 3/Y price hikes from 2-3 months ago finally taking affects = 30% margin with credits easily.......and likely 28% margin excluding credits.........might sound crazy but 30% margin could be possible excluding credits depending on a couple key factors.
I can visualise the Kolodny CNBS article already: "Trouble for Tesla in Q3 as for the second successive month, official August sales and production numbers reveal that the embattled car manufacturer has once again been forced to ship cars as far afield as Europe. As Chinese demand seemingly craters, we spoke to people familiar with the matter who expressed their fears for the company's future"

And so on...

View attachment 698566

And which US made company is navigating this chip shortage the best? The one that was not invited to the EV party 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔
After the article...

How the shortage is affecting firms:​

• Renault forecasts its car production could be down by about 100,000 this year
  • Sony says it is difficult for it to bump up production of the PS5 consoles
  • Apple expects the impact of the shortage to worsen and extend to iPhone production
  • Tesla says it is using alternative chips and rewriting software
  • Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing plans to build new factories in the US and Japan

Compared to Renault, Sony, and Apple, I love how wonderfully adaptive Tesla's response is.

While others say, "Aw, shucks, looks like we won't be able to bring as much product to market," Tesla is literally, "Let's rewrite code so we can make better use of alternative chips." This is why Tesla deserves to be the #1 corporation in the world.

Moveable chargers (done well) solve several problem that fixed chargers cannot. There is nothing wrong with fixed chargers but they lack flexibility and they require hard wired installs (again inflexible).

Those of us a little more seasoned can remember the days of driving an ICE vehicle into a gas station and hopping out with instrucitons to fill 'er up to the pump attendant and then wandering off to get a snack. Since then things have gotten more complicated on various levels.

Autonomous chargers can be almost anywhere and dynamically adapt to requirements. In different forms they can be at your office lot in the morning and at your grocery store in the afternoon. They can move to supplement the superchargers during high utilization times like holidays or seasonal needs like seasonal resorts. They can charge in the middle of the night at apartments. They can schedule their own service and provide additional services beyond simple charging.

The theme is to optimize the EV to deliver safe mobility while augmenting utility with service robots. Build or move features into the robots vs the vehicles. The robots will evolve more easily and quickly and optimize benefits.

Imagine driving into a Disney lot and having R2D2 appear and charge your vehicle just as one example. Folks obviously more gifted that me should have fun developing this technology. The battery is done, vision is solved, Dojo is on the horizon so now is the time to extend autonomous mobility into other useful tasks. YMMV
:)
If the cars are robots, the car can drive to the correct location and dock with the charger. The charger just needs a little compliance to accommodate misalignment from suspension travel. There is plenty of room in the diffuser area, under the rear bumper, of all Teslas to install a funnel shaped charge inlet. This method could require less maintenance than the current supercharger network. The charger is a passive, but accommodating, dock.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the article...

Compared to Renault, Sony, and Apple, I love how wonderfully adaptive Tesla's response is.

While others say, "Aw, shucks, looks like we won't be able to bring as much product to market," Tesla is literally, "Let's rewrite code so we can make better use of alternative chips." This is why Tesla deserves to be the #1 corporation in the world.
Corporations train their executives with an Excuse 101 class. That is what you are seeing here. Corporations use the product of this class to feed, eventually, Wall Street. A close kin to PR, it is bread and butter for companies that teach and hire based on Good Excuses.

Corporations train their executives with an Excuse 101 class. That is what you are seeing here. Corporations use the product of this class to feed, eventually, Wall Street. A close kin to PR, it is bread and butter for companies that teach and hire based on Good Excuses.
Sure, Tesla can execute, but can they they sandbag and deliver a really good excuse? That's what Wall Street is looking to see.

[Comment about buying Hyundai, keeping Boston Dynamics, liquidating everything else...]

If they bought Hyundai, they would also get the company that builds and runs the RORO ships that move new cars to overseas markets. I would think they'd keep that too.
Here is Hyundai:
Even though the chaebol is called Hyundai Motor Group it has a gigantic range of businesses.
Even as a joke this one is a trifle weird.
Boston Dynamics is a Group investment
With Maglev trains, home automation, steel production, financial services (including one of Korea's large credit card portfolios)...
and a fair number of robotics investments, one of which is Boston Dynamics.
Thinking of them as a 'car company' is odd, despite the name.

Sure, Tesla can execute, but can they they sandbag and deliver a really good excuse? That's what Wall Street is looking to see.
I don't know. When I was offered the class, I think titled "How to communicate to upper management," I was appalled that it seemed to be about providing excuses that have legs to go even higher. I did not take the class, as I try to learn only from people who have demonstrated results, and excuse competence seemed to be counter to what John Wooden learned from his father and taught others: "Don't whine, complain, or [make excuses] alibi." I consider 10 NCAA basketball championships demonstrated results.

Why would one make the excuse route any easier by training excuse proficiency?

I don't know how trained Tesla is on excuse making.

• Funny
Reactions: jhm
Hey y'all, you know when Gordo opens his mouth...what happens to $TSLA the following days. I think this one is the dumbest of all IMHO:

That image of gordo, clearly at home, but wearing suspenders like he is in the original 'wall street' movie just shows him for what he is. Someone desperately role-playing as a big shot trader, but clearly terrible at it, and completely unemployable. Its sad. He has the clothes for the job (40 years too late) but not the IQ.

Gotta say, I'm kind of glad that the stock isn't climbing today in anticipation of the presentation tonight.

I don't think you necessarily want the stock to be testing it's 200 DMA again .......which it's about to do, on the day of AI Day when a sell off could happen tomorrow (doesn't matter how illogical the sell off is)

It's possible that Boston Dynamics could be spun out and Tesla acquires them, partly for the talent, and partly for the technology. Boston Dynamics was originally purchased by Google and later sold off.

"Beyond the fleet" could mean types of vehicles that aren't currently in production such as a delivery van. eg a fully autonomous van that delivers to your house with a robot that takes it to your door.

Guess we'll find out in a few hours.

View attachment 698671

We know well that Europe sales don't start until month 2 & 3 of the quarter due to the wave and shipping times.
But TSLAQ never learns.
That's Job from Arrested Development in the pic above. Here is a message from his brother Michael:
And that's why you don't use just one month to project out the whole quarter!