Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1630028395919.png

Interesting timing, with Tesla having just integrated its "Shop" into the Tesla app. (Link - Apple will let developers accept payment outside App Store)

Tesla files to provide electricity in Texas:

Tesla files to become an electricity provider in Texas

Tesla wants to sell electricity directly to customers in Texas, according to an application filed by the company this month with the Public Utility Commission there.​
The application follows the start of a big battery build out by Tesla in Angleton, Texas (near Houston), where it aims to connect a 100 megawatt energy storage system to the grid. Texas Monthly first reported on the application, submitted by a wholly owned subsidiary of Tesla called Tesla Energy Ventures.​

Unfortunately, Lora also can't help herself to throw a few shots at Tesla, even when breaking good news, referring to impact of regulatory credits back in 2Q 2020! I can't imagine it's healthy to be so negative all the time.

For those that want to read a non-CNBS/Lora article, here is the source article:

Elon Musk Wants to Sell Texans Electricity

Elon Musk is about to become a Texas power broker—literally.​
The idiosyncratic serial entrepreneur who reinvented rocketry and juiced up the electric-car business has established a new subsidiary of Tesla, called Tesla Energy Ventures, that filed in mid-August with the Public Utility Commission of Texas to sell electricity on the retail market.​
Details of the move are scant, and Tesla isn’t talking, but if the filing is approved this November, people involved with the state’s power market say that the new Tesla Energy Ventures could stand out in a crowded, deregulated retail market where 120 other companies are already hawking kilowatts.​

Last edited:
is that waymo article saying that they want to keep their tech to themselves or just closing up shop?
Looks like they are going to buy lidars from 3rd party as they probably have successfully reduced the cost of Lidars while Waymo is most likely not turning a profit trying to sell theirs as it's not competitive vs 3rd party plus all the operational cost associated with sales.

This makes it appear that Tesla Fremont is battery constrained, not chip constrained.

Confirmation that Tesla is chip constrained:

Tesla publicizes a Silicon Valley High Rollers Poker Tournament and announces they will be playing with real chips.

I'll see your 50,000 C8051F520 microcontrollers and raise you 20,000 C8051F526's!

A financial journalist who can't do grade-school arithmetic seems ready to move up from Fool.com to CNBC.

$17 IPO adjusted for 5:1 split = 17/5 = $3.40, so $1000 would buy 1000/3.4 = 294 shares, currently worth 294 x $700 = $205,800 not $147,400.

But I'm not anal.
LOOK. This math crap is just too hard. Tell ya what, put me in a time machine and I'll go back and buy one share (just one share, trust me), and I'll keep it in its own account, and I will show you what it is worth tomorrow.

Last edited:
MODERATOR: This post has been deleted and then un-deleted, but from now on any weekly, etc, updates by its poster will appear here ===>ONLY BY A REFERENCE<===. Rest of the World: Do not respond to this post here, but in the “Robot” thread.

It has been 1 week since AI day, where they introduced the Humanoid robot and amazing camera/image based AI.
1 week is a milestone mark for vetting how close a Teslabot might be. Here is my guess on the fast way to catch the rocket to Mars:

1. Shape from HumanScale so the robot can be produced and sold at scale AND work wherever Dreyfuss did the Industrial Design - Telephones, WWII tanks, and most other WWII military equipment, anything John Deere or Sears Roebuck - everything except cars [Detroit froze him out in a familiar story] Henry Dreyfuss - Wikipedia
  2. Feet from India
  3. Bow legs from Texas to provide a lot of knee motion to balance on largely passive feet
  4. Dynema Tendons from the Netherlands Dyneema® Fiber
  5. Gorilla glass wrists modeled after the Zurich Train Station in Switzerland, shown here mostly in Dupont Cappuccino Craze as it rendered better than camera black.
A couple of points:
1) Internal illumination is needed inside the hermetically sealed optical cavity. The outside of the glass is painted, except for the bottoms of the grooves that the Dynema tendons run in that are ground smooth.
2) The camera folks have to have a chance to be successful. The optical path goes from the marker on the tendon off a mirrored surface on the wide end of the optical cavity toward the elbow, and then back to the cameras on the wrist end of the optical cavity. All the visual information for the entire hand is presented off that back face for both the redundant cameras to collect and send on to the AI processor. There are 3 chances for lens actions to help: the glass wall immediately under the the tendon, the mirrored back wall of the cavity, and the camera lens itself. The long path should help make the camera lens design a center of the process window activity.
3) It is a clamshell design with two mirrored parts that fit perfectly into the surface modeled forearm from the previous post, but since I don't know how to do internal illumination, most of these pictures are with one half removed to use ambient illumination.
untitled.940.jpg

untitled.942.jpg

untitled.941.jpg

And though the camera's eye. The back plate angle may need some adjustment, if not curvature. Could probably dolly the rendering camera all the way into the glass, but it would make even less sense than this one.
untitled.939.jpg

I don't know if they even need this. A hand full of hypodermic needle shaped motors with accordion dust seals on the tendons to keep dust away from the encoders (or whatever feedback the motor can provide) seems cleaner.

But the Zurich Train Station Optical Cavity can work (with reasonable signal to noise?) and intrinsically aggregates all the information about hand position sensing in one nice clean camera signal.

You are feeding the AI engine what it now wants to eat.
Easy-peazy.
In time for Mars, without massive cursing.

This is what I heard at the AI presentation and it needed to be vetted in 1 week.
Thank you all for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
MMs are pushing heavy to MaxPain ($690) right now: $TSLA @ 699
Max pain is a crude approximation: it is skewed by including many contracts at strike prices that are outside the range of possible end-of-week SP finishes. For example, the $1 puts that show up in the 10s of thousands on big expiry dates aren't serious puts: they are created to lower the margin requirements for OTM calls, and thus are evidence of an underlying BULLISH position (not advice - ask a Pro).

The fight is for $700 because (yesterday) there were 13,570 open Put contracts at that strike. If the SP were to finish below $700 on Friday, then MMs would have to pay out the difference in cash to the holders of all those options. Further, there were 13,275 Call contracts, so MMs can't let it go too far above that price either, or they pay for that.

This is the what my experimental "C-P analysis" (Call - Put) tries to capture. It's simple, fast, and fairly robust in the absence of market-moving news (or FUD/Bare raids).

More data will come out at 07:00 ET on Friday morning (last OI update for 08/27 expiries).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Pretty sure the made in China Model 3 SR+ is coming to North America.
At least two people with orders got the letter from Tesla on the smaller range car.

No, clearly NOT. The message sent to Jordan G. of "The Limiting Factor" channel says its the BATTERY PACK that's coming, not the MiC car:

E9vT35BVoAU1N1-

BTW, this is hardly news. Tesla has had a Rep from CATL working in N.America for months, and there have been at least 2 prior indications that the LFP pack for SR+ would come from them. Latest indication was an Oct 1st start date for CATL/LFP SR+ Models 3 from Fremont.

This is exactly what Elon said on Battery Day. Now, people are surprised its happening? People read to much main stream financial media, who are surprised by their own shadows. :p

And don't be surprised when the Model Y is released with the LFP pack. It's coming too, just a question of how fast they ramp Giga Texas. The LFP packs will be needed to free up Giga Nevada 2170 NMC cell supply for Austin's initial production (until their own 4680s are ready).

Cheers!

So how big of an effect does the cold have on LFP? We have problems now in the cold with our NCA batteries....I can't even drive from TX to Pagosa Springs,CO in the winter because I'm afraid of running out of range going through the mountains when it's 6 degrees and I have a mid range battery.

I'm all for LFP, but Tesla really thinks this is a non issue? What about the NE that gets hit with hard winters now?
It was an issue here (Finland) after first LFP cars came last year, but Tesla quite quickly solved it with a software update.
Now I believe they function as well as other packs, with the added benefit that you can (and should) charge to 100% daily.

On the topic of chip shortages masking poor ICE sales...
While the chip shortage is real certainly evidenced by Tesla admitting it is a real challenge, legacy manufacturers are certainly hiding their soft sales figures behind that excuse. We can't really know whether legacy manufacturers can't make enough cars because of chip supply or they can't sell enough cars because their demand is drying up. It's pretty convenient to have such a believable excuse,no? But, they will have very poor quarterly numbers either way. They will hide behind chip shortages and grandiose EV preparedness claims to explain the poor results, but they are dying. Their margins will go from meh to abysmal as their factories slow. I really do wonder which ones will survive.