Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

We will hear some FUD today about China deliveries . . . .that "essentially" the demand story in China is dead.
Of course Tesla now pivots to local deliveries for China in September. So the FUDsters may be able to carry this narrative for 3 weeks until we get the P&D report to shut them up.

While the CPCA news is certainly awesome, this is the first quarter when Shanghai completely takes over for Fremont exports. So a few questions remain, but should be answered next month:
  • Did Fremont lower/maintain/increase production, production that is almost fully going into NA now? (There are 2 ships out of Fremont, headed for S. Korea and Taiwan, but other than that nothing).
  • Will Shanghai still produce another 44k cars in September and if so will that be fully domestic sales, maintaining the ~60k quarterly sales rate?
Obviously, Q3 will be a blowout, but these small details tell us a lot about NA demand and how much true impact the Q1-Q2 FUD campaign actually had in China.

One thing is for sure, with 14 ships in total for Europe, and that 56k export production so far (probably not only for Europe!) Q3 will be brutal over here. I was expecting 42k+, but could be more based on this.

Last edited:
Not to dampen the hype .. but always remember:
;)

Haha - True.
We also have this:
1631092775874.png

Every year Chevy comes out with a new model year Corvette, Edmunds raves about it, how much power it has and points out every improvement, no matter how minor.

Tesla does a complete engineering re-design of the Model S (only 10 years old), adds a whole 'nuther motor (three motors!), more range and makes the fastest production car ever made and Edmonds says "The Tesla Model S Plaid is nothing more than a marketing exercise designed to draw attention to an aging car.". :rolleyes:

Edmunds is a hilarious fraud!
edmunds forgot to proofread the title of the review they had made for the Hummer EV. Complete revival of an old aging brand in an EV marketing exercices.

So Ford has hired Doug Field, the chief engineer while the Model 3 and Model Y were being developed. Field probably deserves a good deal of credit for the success of the Model Y. Field was working at Apple the last few years, presumably on an EV project of some sort. Rumors of the Apple EV project have swirled around Silicon Valley since 2015, and it's now 2021, so it's clearly going slow.

Field will be reporting to Ford's CEO as some chief of advanced technology. I wonder what kind of payday it took to pull him to Dearborn. It does show that engineers with Tesla on their resume are highly sought after.
Doug Field left Tesla in 2018 in the middle of notoriously failed M3 ramp-up. He was in charge of M3 production and Elon himself took M3 program chief role in May 2018.

Official reason for leaving was "family absence". Am not saying he definitely got fired, but there was serious speculation at least.

Doug Field could deserve a good deal of credit for many things, but M3 ramp-up is not one of those.

Last edited:
Doug Field left Tesla in 2018 in the middle of notoriously failed M3 ramp-up. He was in charge of M3 production and Elon himself took M3 program chief role in May 2018.

Official reason for leaving was "family absence". Am not saying he definitely got fired, but there was serious speculation at least.

Doug Field could deserve a good deal of credit for many things, but M3 ramp-up is not one of those.
And you know this....how?

To me it looks like Elon wanted more speed, as he always does, and this guy kinda snapped and quit/fired. That's not really failure, that's Elon chewing you up. It happens. Jerome just left, does he "deserve credit"?

Certainly the knowledge gained was valuable and the 2nd time around will be easier. Do t get me wrong, I'm absolutely certain Ford will fail, but it won't be because of this guy.

Looking splendid in the premarket.

Doug is one of the smartest managers I've had the pleasure to report to. Him going to Ford is kinda astounding me. While I wish him the best, I truly hope is given the ability to do all the things he wants, at the speed he wants without any legacy cruft getting in his way. I just don't see how that is going to happen...
Hope his deal is salary rather than ISO.